How to score an endorsement deal...

drummert2k

i picked up the newest modern drummer today and this was one of the big atricles in it. i've noticed this topic came up a bit on this board so i figured this would help out anyone looking to into this kind of thing. check it out. you may even be able to find the atricle on their site.

also in it is an artile about peart and a little thing about the gibralter ultra adjust hi hat which both have also been recent threads on this board.

not to mention any glenn kotche and wilco fan will enjoy this issue as well. as a fan i can say its a good article as well

m

yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
would be nice if they'd get more of that content online soon.

BillRayDrums

Yeah? And guess what? Scoring an endorsement deal has gotten harder and harder because of these "DIY guides" concerning them.

The companies look at pretty much one thing- "What has this person got going on, and how will it benefit them (the company)"?

I was hanging out one day with the head of a well-known drum company in his office and in the corner there was a friggin' AVALANCHE of promo packets, unopened. I asked him "How do you weed through all them"? He told me "I don't". Thereyago.

Sincerely,
Mr. Goodnews :)

m

BillRayDrums":15722a42 said:
Yeah? And guess what? Scoring an endorsement deal has gotten harder and harder because of these "DIY guides" concerning them.
heh- yep, dang it~ the secret's out!

now everybody's going to go out and get famous and successful...
they should have kept it quiet! ;-)

Steven McTowelie

Timekeep69":3soecuwt said:
The biggest problem is people who have nothing to offer but want free or heavily discounted product.
i agree with that, it seems like a lot of drummers (especially the ones i come into contact with) would rather spend more time trying to get endorsements to get free stuff rather than practice and actually get better. i think a lot of those drummers have the wrong idea about what endorsements are, they probably don't even realize you don't get free stuff out of it unless you're very well known. i guess it's kind of similar to the millions of bands out there who have myspace pages with horrible sounding recordings and think they're going to get tons of gigs from it by mass messaging venues. myspace is definitely a great tool when you go about it the right way though.

BillRayDrums

Steven McTowelie":jse9muy4 said:
i think a lot of those drummers have the wrong idea about what endorsements are, they probably don't even realize you don't get free stuff out of it unless you're very well known.
Judging from my website traffic and my Google search results, I think I'm fairly well-known. I mean, I'm not "top shelf" but I do manage to see quite alot of website traffic. That being said, "free stuff" begotten is extremely rare. It's only the top .5% of endorsees that get "carte' blanche' " and have boxes of stuff shipped to them....and even then the management company of the band might get an invoice from said gear company without the player even realizing it.

I'm currently with Aquarian, Pro-Mark, Taye, and Slug Percussion products in an "official" standing and I can say that or the most part, I've gotten nothing for free. Taye did give me my last kit and that was only when I traded in my old one, which was a "hand-me-down" from another endorser.

Several years ago when I was going through a really tough time financially I called Pro-Mark and literally begged them for some sticks. They sent me a box and for that I'm grateful to this day; I try and help out other drummers when I can.

"Free Gear".....wow it feels good when it happens but can't hold your breath.