how to do "big" endings

gringo

hello everyone,

I have a question about how to do "big" endings, i.e. the trainwreck/cymbal swell ending. Is there a general formula, or a specific type of fill that follows the cymbal swells, for pulling that off and keeping things tight????? i'm a new drummer, and i'm trying to figure out the breakdown of it. thanks.

xdoseonex

i usually do 16th o the double bass and follow it exact with my hands. i like to do a crossing "helicopter" type thing cuz it looks cool when you do it fast. i start hitting my bass drums hard so you can realy hear the individual hits. then i lslowly lighten the hits on my kick drum so it fades into more of a monotone swell sound. then a 32nd note quadrupled into that final choked cymbal crash hits with the snare. thats how i do it. If you click my link in my signature the song "pefection" has one of those ending but i really fucked it up bad. it might help you nonetheless

um... the big crash ending doesn't really have a formula, that's sorta the point of it. it's supposed to just happen because it feels right, and the best way to pull it off is to feel your way through it. I generally will just hit stuff, and if one or both of the guitarist starts noodling, I'll lay back and play under them, and if not, I might play something down the toms or whatever... just make sure everyone knows when you're ending the song. That's the most important thing: getting everyone to actually end at the same time. Make eye contact with everyone, play a snare hit to make sure everyone pays attention and is ready, then just watch the band and hit your crashes. body language is a big part of it. if anything, I'd recommend not taking a fomulaic approach to it, otherwise all of your endings will end up sounding similar.

JAdrums2k

Definitely don't do it for every song...
save it for a couple of the more driving songs. A good solid double kick w/ the swells, throw in some quadruplets, alternate between the cymbals and toms, cross arm stuff is good for show if you can pull it off.

I learned to keep endings simple & quick... people get bored really easy, especially if everyone in the band is noodling during the endings. Change it up & try some quiet breakdowns on the ends to play the songs out.

Hack_and_Slash

When you're experienced enough, you will know what "letting it all out" means. There's no technique or right way to do it. Like others said, it's just playing what you feel.

these big rockstar endings are usually to the most part improvised but for each band theres usually formula which is followed so all the band knows whats happening in the mess. my band will start with a big chord and build it up generally just making loads of noise n like most people i do 16ths with the feet n crashes n make it swell up then i will do a big solo usually just doing what i feel at the time... quads, triplets the usual type thing but i always finish with a flam on the snare and have a quarter note pause and then a big crash and then i do like a sixtuplet thing on the floor toms n bass drums to accompany the guitars sliding down the neck to completely finish it off. thats our typical ending but dont always do the same thing come up with different big endings for different songs, i would list how we do big endings for our different songs but theres no point. just jam, improvise and you will learn how to communicated with each other. hopefully through that a structure you all feel works will happen naturally. rock on!!

Potatoe Snack

stand up

walk over to your lead guitarist

take his guitar

hit him with the guitar followed by hitting the guitar to the ground.

light it on fire.

then quickly put it out, clubs frown on that.

EOTE_drummer

Potatoe Snack":2gfspmt0 said:
stand up

walk over to your lead guitarist

take his guitar

hit him with the guitar followed by hitting the guitar to the ground.

light it on fire.

then quickly put it out, clubs frown on that.
lol i like the way you think

EOTE_drummer

DRUMSMYWIFE":ph42ypg0 said:
Go f**cking ccrazy and just hit the damn drums!
lol your getting there too....

in all honesty just listen 2 these guys, they know pretty well what they are talking about (except for potatoe lol jk). i usually do 16ths on bass and cymbals, start in with some tom rolls, go back into 16ths on bass drums, slowly slow it down super slow, and then do a quadruplets with the bass and floor toms, and as soon as that ends hit the snare and open high hats at the same time then close high hats, wait one beat, then bass drum/cymbal crash + choke.

their is really no right way 2 do it though, how i do it could help you or confuse you. but the main thing is, DO NOT HOLD IT OUT TOO LONG!!!!! i cannot stress that enough, probably the longest it should ever be is 20 seconds.

you have my 2cents

drumur

Hand and feet combos work well.
Sextuplets(4stroke ruff on the hands and 2 on the feet), Quads( 2 hands and 2 feet), Triplets(hit a tom and cymbals at the same time for the 1st note of the triplet and do the "and ah" with the feet).
Ah! and a real cool one is, a pattern of 2 Sextuplets followed by one Quad.

john_bonham73

big finishes usually dont have a structure unless predetermined as a band. Im all for getting the 16th's going on the bass and the crossover(helicopter,as it was called) really gets the crowd pumpin.John Bonham was huge on that move,plus it looks really cool.People LOVE drummers going wild on their set!! Just know the band is gonna support the big finish for so long and then you all look at each other and end it naturally.Its totally a feel thing.Now,if you miss the band ending....you're infringing on a drum solo ending.Make sure you do your best stuff if that happens,LOL!

Lancelot Frosty

I just kinda go all out.
I generally do some cymbal swells, then a 32nd note roll along the toms, accenting every first note on the bass drum, while keeping a constant clap with the hats.
Then I do some switchy switchy crap. XD