How to deal with attitudes..Worth it?

drkilldrmz

Hello all. Newble to the forum, but playing for 18 years. Recently picked up the sticks again after a year layoff. My chops are returning now, but still working on getting my equipment back in shape.. Anyways. Anyone ever have a band mate that is good at what they do, but is just a total pain in the ass to deal with? My guitar player decides he is a rockstar all of a sudden, "in a cover band no less" and wants to be paid more because he sings and plays the guitar. I feel like smacking him sometimes. Whats the best way to deal with an egomaniac? Or maybe a practical joke to knock him down a peg or 3..

drummert2k

be really ignorant to him...... infront of people bewteen songs works great. the crowd will take it as you guys joking around but his "rockstar"attitude will make him think hes to cool to get busted on. and tell him that if he gets paid more becuase of singing and playing then you get paid 5 times what everyone else does because you have a whole drum kit to lug around rather than just a cab, amp and guitar.

and then as a band sit him down and explain to him that there is no room for his attitude. it takes each member to make the band. you have to put the work in to become the rockstar before you can try to live like one.

Rockula!

If you look at it from the perspective of a professional musician then he is playing two instruments
By the pay scale rules of a union, he would be doing what is called "doubles"
If you are in a cover band, what is the motivation of said band?
If it is to get paid then he is not being unreasonable
BTW
You didn't mention who does the booking
That person can also expect more of a cut

mattsmith

Although this is a pretty friendly forum, I have to believe that the worst musician ego demonstrations in the known universe are on Internet forums. Much of it has to do with frustrated people acting out in really bad ways, and recreating themselves into false personas because they are mostly anonymous. I have been slandered in every possible way on them. When I deal with stupid attitudes on the stand it seems so small alongside what I just dealt with at forums like MXDP and others. Also most of the time super egos come from small timers who don't have enough sense to understand how music really functions. I don't think most superstars have especially bad egos. But small timers are a different story. So when I get it at a gig, I usually just consider the source.

FelterSkelter

If you're in the musician's union then you are being paid per job. If you are in a band, you are IN A BAND and things should be split evenly.

Maybe I am wrong but, unless the band is carried solely by him, he doesn't deserve a bigger cut. If he wants you to be a "backing musician" you should name your rate and put him in his place.

No room for egos in a band, especially not when dealing with your bandmates.

mattsmith":1i0l0qiv said:
Although this is a pretty friendly forum, I have to believe that the worst musician ego demonstrations in the known universe are on Internet forums. Much of it has to do with frustrated people acting out in really bad ways, and recreating themselves into false personas because they are mostly anonymous. I have been slandered in every possible way on them. When I deal with stupid attitudes on the stand it seems so small alongside what I just dealt with at forums like MXDP and others. Also most of the time super egos come from small timers who don't have enough sense to understand how music really functions. I don't think most superstars have especially bad egos. But small timers are a different story. So when I get it at a gig, I usually just consider the source.
I couldn't agree more with your statement. Living in Wisconsin I frequently have to deal with the "big fish in a little pond" type people who think they're rock stars, but really they're just small timers who think they're something because there aren't many bands to make any kind of a decent scene in places like Green Bay, WI.

drkilldrmz

I can see the point that he is doing 2 jobs. I am also singing a few tunes, as well as the bass player. My motivation is to have some fun and get my chops up.. He may be looking at it differently. Guess we will have to have the ole what's the goal chat. It is just a cover band after all. Still though, unless we are writing our own music again, and someone steps up as songwriter, and singer, and player, the attitude is unwarranted in my eyes. Doesn't help ive been friends with the guy for 10 years either.. People change i guess..Maybe ill wax his strings..

ChrisNichols

My guitarist can be a total pain in the arse as well. Why is it always the guitarists? I haven't actually spoken to him about it yet, but if he continues the way he's going I'm going to get the whole band together and we're going to have a discussion about it. He's driving me up the bloody wall.

trstn

Good guitarists and good vocalists are often "difficult". (TM)
I have this expirience too.

Try talk to him first.

Money things are always BAAAD.. try to let somebody else to moderate.

Talking helped in my cases.

Jaki

WjWhat you need to do is to suck his balls. Suck them alot. Then while he isnt noticing put them in a vice and close it. People who are egotistical need to be chucked stright out of the band.

drkilldrmz

This is making more sense now.. Guitar players in general are more prone to the "god ego" because they are up front, and don't have to deal with the little stuff going on behind em. I swear, if one more beer gets "spit" onto my drums, im gonna freak.. It's not good showmanship..

jwoo10

Thought I'd chime in here. Having played in cover bands for almost 40 years. I've dealt with ego's before... believe it or not I DON'T have one... I respect every music I've ever played with ...

Note;;;; I'm curently in 3 local bands and I host a local Sunday night jam session at a local club.

The way I'd suggest you "deal" with this situation is to have a discussion with the entire band as a whole.... everyone present. Let him.. *(in front of everyone)... make his demand to be paid more than everyone else. Then as a collective whole... come to an agreement

I suspect that you're not doing original material... which is one of the MAIN reasons some musicians ask for doubles... not simply because they play AND sing... or Front the band... it's because they've donated their creative energies to actually Write ALL of the music that the band performs.

I (personally) wouldn't play with someone who asks for doubles... simply because I think it's unethical in a club-scene/local cover band type scenario...

Go on the road... get signed, produce a CD??.... now those are a completely different set of circumstances...

just MHO

demonicAngel

If you really want to get him good... do what i did ... you know, your pores open and you sweat when your sleeping... and on the road you dont get many showers. put powdered milk in his bed sheets, it will seep in, and he will smell like rotten milk for weeks.
ORRR... dont let him be a rockstar, haha, you play how many drums? and he does 2 things and wants more cash? ... charge for bass drum, cymbals, snare, toms... and yourself, just because you can !