how to cut cymbals

Benhamin

i used hedge cutters to cut out a golf ball sized hole in my ride cymbal
any thick sissor or metal cutters should do
you get the best sound just cutting a small area around the crack
i thought about cutting my 20 inch hhx ride down two inches
thus making is a 18 crash but i was told it would sound terrible

drummert2k

the tools i use is my wallet, my car keys, and my credit card. heres what i do...

i use the car keys to start my car and drive to the music store. then i pull my credit card out of my wallet and use it to buy a new cymbal.

cutting a cracked cymbal wont make it sound better. it will only prolong the eventual end of the cymbal itself. cutting it will make it last a little longer by slowing the cracking process, but it will never sound like it did before it cracked.

iatemygoat

i found a website a while back that i cant find now but it showed you how to fix them in many ways. if the crack is on the outer edge, cut the crack out with a band saw (use the right blade, i broke like 3 doing it once)

if the crack is about an inch long, start the cut from about 3 inches or so away and gradually bend your cut up to the top of the crack. then make the other side identicle. in the end you should have a nice curve that resembles a camels hump or something. dont just cut it straight, make it a curve, to a hump, then curve it back down.

if its in the middle, the only thing i tried was drilling holes on both ends of the crack. but eventually 3-4 new cracks formed from these holes haha so i think it did more harm than good.

King_trizz

drummert2k said:
the tools i use is my wallet, my car keys, and my credit card. heres what i do...

i use the car keys to start my car and drive to the music store. then i pull my credit card out of my wallet and use it to buy a new cymbal.

quote]

lol

Alexander

Benhamin":3kzh8hp0 said:
My God. How the hell did you break your HHX 20" Ride?! I have the same HHX 20" Evolution Ride, ride/hit it all the time, & it'd never crack! You're hittting waaaaaaaaay 2 hard. Learn to play with your damn fingers! Dave Weckl's finger control, YouTube it! Do not whack cymbals with your fisted drumstick or wrists. :shock: It's unnecessary & undynamic musically. :!:

osiris90210

i put my cymbols in a lathe when they crack, it takes time and u cnt do it to thin cymbols or anythign they bend and brake more, but thicker cymbols r good, as long as u take ur time, i cut the hole thing down, i took an 18" down to a 14" and it is the meatiest cymbol i have, really nice sound

but yes, thats wat i do chuck it in the lathe and it is set

PaulZILLA

to start with. if you dont have experience metal working this is pretty hard. personaly if i get just a crack in a medium or heavier cymbal i grind the edges of the crack with a rotory hand tool with as li ttle metal lost as possible and then TIG weld the crack back together. for a chunk out i just grind the edges down and heat them with a torch and run a lil heavy solder to seal the edges from breaking more. ive never broke a cy mbal anywhere but the edge, and then just a small crack so i dont know baout other cracks/breaks. ihave used a plasma cutter to put a vent in an old ride, it works great.

KAden

Generally speaking, using a torch or an arc on a cymbal is gonna mess up the temper of the alloy and severely alter the musicality of the metal; it's pretty much a crap shoot as to the results.

Lathing, or using a metal hole cutter in a drillpress (NOT a woodworking 'Holesaw' bit) and a lot of cutting fluid/coolant is the best way to go. Most folks don't have access to toolage with the capacity to deal with a 20" cymbal though (I work with wood and metal for a living and my metal lathe is only good for up to 4" diameter... I had to seriously hack my drillpress to get it to accommodate 18" diameter workpieces) so your best bet is dropping by your local machineshop with a dozen doughnuts and a 10 spot and geting the job done by a professional.

Even then, it's a crapshoot as to the results.

ProtestTheHero88

my china has cracked several times.. i used the black cutting disks you get with a Dremel tool. i made an arch around the crack with a sharpie then cut along that line.. then i used a sanding bit to smooth it all out so i didnt get shards of metal in my finger on a cymbal choke or soemthin.. everytime ive done it, the cymbal sounds brighter, but i know its only a matter of time before cuttin more pieces out will make it sound like shit.

Benhamin

Alexander":2fr48btf said:
Benhamin":2fr48btf said:
My God. How the hell did you break your HHX 20" Ride?! I have the same HHX 20" Evolution Ride, ride/hit it all the time, & it'd never crack! You're hittting waaaaaaaaay 2 hard. Learn to play with your damn fingers! Dave Weckl's finger control, YouTube it! Do not whack cymbals with your fisted drumstick or wrists. :shock: It's unnecessary & undynamic musically. :!:

thats what i thought too :(
but i let my friends play on it (i learned my lesson)
and they play without knowing how to hit it
it took 2 and half years of abuse too
so it served its duty

mapexdrummer

so in other words? once its cracked its no good...ok well i dont have a credit card [to the mr. rich who said it] im a 17 year old trying to make a living finding a job and such...well it was a vintage zildjian schnitzer or sumin like that...very bright..anyone wana lend me cash? :D thanx for all ur help guys!

DrummerByron

It really depends on the location and size of the crack. The best solution is a new or used cymbal (like from eBay, just be careful). Anyway there is a guy on eBay who buys cracked cymbals and he wrote this guide:

Where I come from, there was no shortage of fast & efficient Metal-working Shops in the region. // And in those shops did stand a strong & mighty machine called a CIRCULAR SHEAR (ask around & you'll find out it's true; they do exist--I wouldn't shear you wrong!) // Now these shears perform upon a edge-cracked cymbal in the near exact way that an electric can opener does the job on a metal canned good item: the center axis is held secure by a clampdown sort of device, while the cutting wheel-goodie does the work. // But unlike an electric can opener which has one cutting-goodie..the shear features two of them...and they function exactly like a copper pipe cutting tool, that is, two cutters diametrically opposed from each other (or, one on/at each side of the material). // And thus, the results of this quick & painless ( and often a low cost) procedure does produce a perfect circular cutoff AND a minimum of burrs to the touch. It is wise, and I recommend that the freshly cut edge shall be rubbed down with, oh say....80 grit emory cloth (sandpaper for metal) just for grins and a healthy lifestyle.//It's just that easy & you can't go wrong. // Now...anybody up for topping this helpful hint? // So there ya go..... Signed: Remo Ron Culley aka Remo Ron Tello.

drummert2k

mapexdrummer":wjlad0wf said:
so in other words? once its cracked its no good...ok well i dont have a credit card [to the mr. rich who said it] im a 17 year old trying to make a living finding a job and such...well it was a vintage zildjian schnitzer or sumin like that...very bright..anyone wana lend me cash? :D thanx for all ur help guys!
first off, im far far far from rich. so having a credit card has nothing to do with having money. actually, if i had money i wouldnt have to use a credit card because i'd have the cash to buy it.

and second, when you say it was a "zildjian schnitzer" cymbal do you mean zildjian scimitar? if so then dont be too bumed it crack. those cymbals are really really cheap. go on eaby, im sure you can find another for under 20 bucks. save up a bit more money and get a zxt or something like that if your on a budget.

FelterSkelter

drummert2k":3my2631w said:
mapexdrummer":3my2631w said:
first off, im far far far from rich. so having a credit card has nothing to do with having money. actually, if i had money i wouldnt have to use a credit card because i'd have the cash to buy it.

and second, when you say it was a "zildjian schnitzer" cymbal do you mean zildjian scimitar? if so then dont be too bumed it crack. those cymbals are really really cheap. go on eaby, im sure you can find another for under 20 bucks. save up a bit more money and get a zxt or something like that if your on a budget.
If you're 17 you should be able to go somewhere and make payments on a better cymbal, if you have a bank account. I was able to finance a drumset and a pair of high hats from my local music store. You will probably pay more but, just try to pay off as much as you can per payment.

I think I may have been the very last of the last generation to save their pennies from the NEWSPAPER ROUTE to buy a new head or a new guitar. Like T2K said, you have E-Bay and craigslist where you can buy great stuff from people who don't even know what a treasure they have. That might be the most work you have to do with your budget.
Don't throw the old cymbal out though. That is a cardinal no-no.

mapexdrummer

well wat do i do with old cymbals? n i dont wanna say nething more bought the cc thing..they say i needa be 18 to have a bank account...): i know it was a cheap cymbal but i dont like zxt's...would the low end paiste's be better?

stump

I don't cut cymbals when they crack. I just replace them. One key is to save and get professional brass. If you play cheap cymbal then expect them to crack. I know that people are on budgets but if my 12 year old nephew can save for almost a year to get professional cymbals then anyone can.

Reverend Chainsaw

Wow, this is a great thread!!! Replacing cymbels costs a arm and a leg sometimes. So what I do, I use my crack cymbels for practice, and use my good cymbels for shows. But now I can cut out the cracks in my cymbels thanks to this thread. thanks for all of the ideas.