How to clean gold hardware?

Qbs

Hi,
I've just bought an old Pearl Masters w/gold hardware and it seems that it hasn't been used for quite some time because the gold hardware is really dirty. My question is - what would you recommend to clean all those gold plated lugs, hoops and ISS?
Thanks,

drummert2k

just a rag and dont rub too hard. as long as the previous owner has maintained the finger prints and stuff on the hardware you shouldnt have too much trouble getting it off. if its really bad though or "hazy" then i cant help ya. just dont use polishing cloths or any kind of cleaner because the gold color comes right off.

Qbs

I've been trying to clean it for two days now with a clean cloth than with a little water and finally with some detergents and nothing works :/. It seems to me that it's not dirty but has oxidized or something :/

drummert2k

if it oxidized thats pretty much how they're gonna stay. anything that would shine it up would end up taking the gold color off. so if it looks kinda hazy or doesnt feel 100% perferctly smooth to the touch(like you can actually kinda feel the build up) then you're either gonna have to buy new gold hardware, polish it to get it clean eventhough it will be chrome by the time your done, or just be happy with it as it is.

Qbs

drummert2k":3sijxr61 said:
so if it looks kinda hazy or doesnt feel 100% perferctly smooth to the touch(like you can actually kinda feel the build up) then you're either gonna have to buy new gold hardware, polish it to get it clean eventhough it will be chrome by the time your done, or just be happy with it as it is.
that's exactly how it is - it's not smooth
I wanted to buy chrome HW anyway because gold isn't my cup of tea so I guess I'll just clean the gold off :)
Thanks