How to become a good drummer?

MrMonkee

Hi everyone! :)
I'm a new member in this forum, this is my first post :D . I have been playing drums only a half year :? . I play drums because I really love it :p and I learn it by myself :roll: .
I have a small question which I think any beginner may ask the teacher: "How to become a good drummer?". :?:
I hope I will receive your answers. They may be about your exprience.
I'm not good at English :( so I feel difficult in describing my thinking :cry: . But I promise I will try my best in the next posts. :wink:
Thank you for viewing my post and your replies! :p

kylevater

ok well of course there is practice practice practice
i would print out tabs and play those, they usually never accurate but you get some good beats of them
and i play the beginnings of some songs that i cant play the rest of lol
such as the color of money by bury your dead

johnisonfire

kylevater":tbimtqzj said:
...i play the beginnings of some songs that i cant play the rest of lol
Good song. I usually play It's Far Better To Learn by Saosin. I also warm up by playing the first minute of that song haha. I also play certain Paramore song beginnings too.

Practicing is the best way, 20-30 minutes of solid practice per day is plenty, and a day off every now and then never hurt anything either. Online lessons on YouTube is excellent as well. Listening to the drums in music is great too, that's how I learned to play much of what I learn. The hardest thing for me was to kick the "unison dependence" of the bass foot with the corresponding hand, so I suggest learning to ride the hi-hats or the ride cymbal while playing.

kylevater

johnisonfire":ec8d9ns1 said:
kylevater":ec8d9ns1 said:
...i play the beginnings of some songs that i cant play the rest of lol
Good song. I usually play It's Far Better To Learn by Saosin. I also warm up by playing the first minute of that song haha. I also play certain Paramore song beginnings too.

Practicing is the best way, 20-30 minutes of solid practice per day is plenty, and a day off every now and then never hurt anything either. Online lessons on YouTube is excellent as well. Listening to the drums in music is great too, that's how I learned to play much of what I learn. The hardest thing for me was to kick the "unison dependence" of the bass foot with the corresponding hand, so I suggest learning to ride the hi-hats or the ride cymbal while playing.
yes quite good advice right there
i also play the fisrt blast beat of waking the cadaver's bloodspattered satisfaction but thats no challenge
also
do the stretches in this video
mainly the one thats at 2:55 when he twists his arms around
works great
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uz6-sOt14Ho"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uz6-sOt14Ho" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

metldrummer2112

Practicing is the best way, 20-30 minutes of solid practice per day is plenty, and a day off every now and then never hurt anything either.
wow that little? im overworking myself! I play like 2-3 hours minumum![/quote]

SGarrett

It's not how much you practice, it's how well you focus while practicing. :)

Kyle, that stretch is great and something I learned when I was brand new, too.

Monkee, don't worry about your English. I can't say anything in Vietnamese! :)

The way to be a good drummer is practice and listen to a lot of music. That's pretty much it.

metldrummer2112

SGarrett":1jzr7rmq said:
It's not how much you practice, it's how well you focus while practicing. :)

Kyle, that stretch is great and something I learned when I was brand new, too.

Monkee, don't worry about your English. I can't say anything in Vietnamese! :)

The way to be a good drummer is practice and listen to a lot of music. That's pretty much it.
well im guessing I focus enough because after one year of self teaching I'm playing in a metal band and everybody says I'm the best drummer they know and that in a couple of years I'll be better than Nicholas Barker. so my guess is I focus

Rob Crisp

Hey Monkee, as Scott said don't worry about your English (there are some English speaking people who write worse than you) :lol:

Practice with focus and practice what you CAN NOT already play. That is the best way to improve.

Look up some good techniques such as Moeller and Free Strokes on YouTube (Dom Famularo is good for that) and as Scott said, listen to lots of music and styles.

If you need anymore adivce just shout, someone will answer! :)

Eliminator

Definetly listen to alot of music and focus on the drums in that music, when I first started playing I had real trouble picking out which parts of the kit were being used, but you get so much better at it over time, almost becomes natural

mead50

MrMonkee":bi68jzlj said:
I'm a new member in this forum, this is my first post :D . I have been playing drums only a half year :? . I play drums because I really love it :p and I learn it by myself :roll: .
I have a small question which I think any beginner may ask the teacher: "How to become a good drummer?". :?:
I'm not good at English :( so I feel difficult in describing my thinking :cry: . But I promise I will try my best in the next posts. :wink:
Have Fun!!! :D

Brother_Bong

Yep, practice and listening are key.

The other piece of advise I offer is don't get discouraged. You have to suck before you get good. Everyone has to.

Asdex

YAY!! ANOTHER ASIAN!! AT LEAST I'M NOT ALONE!!! HAHAH... lol.. Anyways, practice is the best thing to be done... Listen to many music and try it out on drums.. Do lots of rudiment since it kinda build your creativity...

SGarrett

Brother_Bong":1q6mdzge said:
Yep, practice and listening are key.

The other piece of advise I offer is don't get discouraged. You have to suck before you get good. Everyone has to.
Oh dude, truer words have never been said about drumming. :lol:

I sucked for quite awhile when I made the transition from metal to the kind of stuff I'm playing now and that was after already playing for 14-15 years.

porrsr

hi im new at this also. play with acouple of guys on fri nights .but there was this other guy that was playing longer than me ,so i guess i got the boot .but i do try almost any kind of song not just one type.self taught .also never one lesson just comes naturally. been playing about one year .any advice is welcomed .play to cds about twice a week, if ican sometimes more. usually an hour or two, thanks

Brother_Bong

porrsr":3sf9gu7j said:
hi im new at this also play with acouple of guys on fri nights but there was this other guy that was playing longer than me so i guess i got the boot but i do try almost any kind of song not just one typeself taught also never one lesson just comes naturally been playing about one year any advice is welcomed play to cds about twice a week if ican sometimes more usually an hour or two thanks
Punctuation makes thing easier to read. :wink:

Oh, and thanks Scott. I think that is one of the most important things for learning players to keep in mind. And by that I mean even if you have been playing for 40 years and you try something different, that still qualifies as LEARNING.

TheLoneGunman

MrMonkee":3sxk4gso said:

www.mikeslessons.com

sign up for the live lessons tell'em thelonegunman sent you. You will get good fast.

I was thinking about what it takes for a player to become a real elite player. I was gonna make it it's own thread, but here's as good as spot for my list as any.

1. Play a lot -- You can't really get good at playing, without playing.
2. Get a teacher -- Find the best player you can find and learn from them. Know, that even if you have never had a lesson in your life, you are not self taught! Self taught would imply that you've sat down on a drumset, never heard anyone play ever, and figured it out on your own. If you learned how to play by listening to music, then you've been taught by that person. So take lessons. I suggest getting lessons in a traditional sense by finding a teacher and studying with them, but take lessons gained through listening to music, and going to drumming websites, and drumming message boards too. As a side note, I've played the drums for 12 years, I've been taking lessons from Mike Johnston for almost 4 months, one of my life's big regrets now, is not having taken lessons with a teacher before. If only I could go back knowing what I know now.
3. Rudiments -- These are the building blocks of drumming. Having a good grasp and ability to perform these will allow you to find away to speak in any musical situation. All drumming from the kit, to snare, congas, and bells, use some combinations of rudiments. And learn them with your feet too!
4. World Beats -- These are great! Many of the world grooves are very complex and difficult. Not only do they spark imagination by getting a drummer out of, le olde 2 4, as I like to say, but they teach 4-way independence, stick control and musical creativity. And they're usable. Books that teach independence through the use of exercises aren't usually usable in a musical sense. I don't think anyone has ever been asked by a band leader to play a groove using a beat found on page 14 of New Breed. But you could get asked to play a Bossa Nova, or a Samba, maybe a Songo or two.
5. Metronome -- Play with a metronome. Play with one slow. Learn to feel the space between the beat, which is imo, more important than the beat itself. Learn to take that pulse from the metronome and groove baby. The ability to take something robotic and unmovable like time, and make it swing and feel, is a skill that a drummer must develop to become great. Learn to play in front of and behind the pulse. Become a metronome in the sense that you keep time and never let up, but a metronome with a heart and a soul that can make people feel too!
6. Listen to lot's of music -- I know we all have our favorite types of music. But to be a great drummer you must master all types of music! When you've got bills to pay, you have to make that money by any means necessary and be prepared to play any style asked of you.

These are what I believe to be the steps to become an elite level drummer. Those that are great or good sacrifice parts or whole sections from this list. Those that are okay or poor probably never do any of them.

I'm curious as to all your thoughts on my list? I'm sure its not a 100% accurate or complete but I jotted down notes on a McDonalds wrapper on my way to the gig last night thinking about this stuff.

much luv,
TheLoneGunman

porrsr

thanks alot for your input.ill try all of the steps you mentioned.i didnt mean anything bad by saying "self taught".i meant exactly what yousaid.by listening to music and figuring out beats on my own.your advice is very good thank you.