How sweet it is!!!

Multibomber

I'm been really practicing a lot with my practice pads working on speeding up sticking and foot patterns, and yesterday, my super awesome Shure Se210 isolation headphones came back from warranty repair, so for the first time on over a month I got to play along to my iPod and I did 3 things that I simply counldn't have done a month ago. First was play the outtro drum solo to "The Grudge" by Tool. Then I played Slipknot's "Disasterpieces" almost perfectly, which I've never been able to move my hands that fast for such a long song. And to top it all off, I was able to play "Nothing Left" by As I Lay Dying... those songs have been landmarks that I've been trying to reach for EVER! Now obviously, I have to master them, and then move on to harder stuff, but its such a great boost of confidence when you see yourself getting better...

P.S. Unfortunately, during "Nothing Left" I hit my right hand so fucking hard, its got a very clear, purple stick mark with the tip very distinctly on the back of my hand

good looking man! now keep practicing till we can see you pull some necrophagist off! and yeah i hate when you whack your fingers or the like, it's the worst!

Multibomber

I dont think Ill ever be able to play that stuff. I like the drums, but its not rewarding enough for me to spend so much time learning it... I mean say when I finally was able to play all that, I dont think I'd be very thrilled. I'd definitely like to be able to play all those tasty fills though.. so maybe I could find the motivation to do it. What I really wanna learn is some of the ridiculous fills that Guido Wyss plays... that guy is unbelievably creative.

ChronicBeatMaster

Yeah its a good feeling, I just finished learning the Planetary Duality CD by the faceless, good shit, have almost all the double base licks down, once its perfected ill be so happy!

Empyrean Drums

possumofdestruction":su7729gr said:
i was joking man, that stuffs not really music to me, just as many notes as possible bs...
Not being into Necrophagist and the like is one thing, but it crosses the border of ignorant to assert it's not music and just hitting as many notes as possible bs

Drumosaurus

ChronicBeatMaster":1qxy1wvx said:
Yeah its a good feeling, I just finished learning the Planetary Duality CD by the faceless, good shit, have almost all the double base licks down, once its perfected ill be so happy!
congratulations dude that stuf is insane.

ChronicBeatMaster

Drumosaurus":3mqzvxub said:
ChronicBeatMaster":3mqzvxub said:
congratulations dude that stuf is insane.
thanks, been working really hard on my chops for that stuff :p

Not being into Necrophagist and the like is one thing, but it crosses the border of ignorant to assert it's not music and just hitting as many notes as possible bs
oh dude im sorry if that came off that way, i meant is a joke, i know theres some kind of groove there, and technically anything can be music, i was just poking fun...im not ignorant..sorry.

Potatoe Snack":3w3v7diu said:
ive been trying to tackle "Bleed" by Meshuggah for a couple days now. I'm ready to give up HAHA
Oh man, good luck with that. I know how you feel.
I've been tackling that for a while and I'm still having trouble with it. It's so simple, yet so complicated at the same time. I'm gonna get it down one of these days.

It's basically all polyrhythms. But leave it Tomas Haake to make things ungodly complicated, hahaha. I envy that guy. He can go for months without even touching a pair of sticks and then sit down behind a kit and play up to par as if he just played the day before.

Potatoe Snack

fullmetaldrummer87":eiyak5hp said:
Potatoe Snack":eiyak5hp said:
ive been trying to tackle "Bleed" by Meshuggah for a couple days now. I'm ready to give up HAHA
Oh man, good luck with that. I know how you feel.
I've been tackling that for a while and I'm still having trouble with it. It's so simple, yet so complicated at the same time. I'm gonna get it down one of these days.

It's basically all polyrhythms. But leave it Tomas Haake to make things ungodly complicated, hahaha. I envy that guy. He can go for months without even touching a pair of sticks and then sit down behind a kit and play up to par as if he just played the day before.
I haven't even learned the first riff yet LOL its tough, really tough.
I can play the kick up to speed, its the combination of the feet with the hands that really throws me off. the hands are seriously just groovin along while the feet are kickin up all that dirt. its like two contrasting concepts dancing around eachother. i'm amazed by it, not only for how complicated it is but for how simple it is at the same time. i will have it down someday i pray

I think that after I learn that first riff (the one with the running triples) I will be able to smooth out the rest of the song much easier. For one, I will have that crazy foot pattern down to memory and everything else is playing off of that and for two, no other riffs in the song really run with it straight forward like that. It's alot of stop and go throughout the track.

thats my rant on Bleed lol

Damagedrummer

It's great when you're finally able to play something you've been working on for so long. It's really satisfying. I've been working on Fear Factory's 'No One' from the album Digimortal for quite some time, and really after a few years just playing along with it I finally got to the point where I can play the whole song. It was great to finally nail those bassdrums! In the past also worked on Reminiscence of Bork Nagar. When I got that down eventually, I ran across the house like a madman :p So yeah, getting rewarded for hard work is SWEET!!! :lol:

Eliminator

ChronicBeatMaster":5ppnww8n said:
Multibomber":5ppnww8n said:
Bleed is all hertas at the beginning.
You claim that you just learned some slipknot and tool, and youre moving all the way up to meshuggah? pace yourself :lol:
Double kicking in Meshuggah is hardly the hardest to learn, except Bleed haha. I keep playing it as quadruplets instead of triplet form.