how often do you reconfigure your kit? Ever?

m

wondering what the average is?
Do you get things set where you like it and never move it again?
Or do you switch things around to see what happens?

I'm experimenting with totally reconfiguring, and I find the change is really challenging me and forcing me to think a little differently, which is breaking me out of a few mannerisms I fear I've fallen into over the past few years. I've got some downtime from gigging, so there's no rush to get it set- I can take my time and goof around to see what works and what doesn't. Never really tried this before, and I'm liking it. I've heard people recommend 'shaking things up' now and then, and I think I can see why...

how about you?

NWCrusher

I do it way too often, but it keeps me on my toes, and eliminates any boredom. Large drumsets are admired by show goers, but I like to see how much I can do with a small set, but make it visually impressive.

Shalaq

I change the set up a lot, just to test my flexibility on the set( I often excersise on a different set at home and play a practice with my band on a different set).

I never change anything, and as a result when its not in the right place I can tell. DW stands help with the locks, I have locks on the floor toms too. But it means other can set it up and get it pretty right.

I used to mess around with the set-up a lot, but I'm happy with what it is now.

CooknessMunster

I might get a tip from an instructor that sounds good....I'll try it but if I don't dig it I go back to what is comfortable.....The answer is never....I'm open minded to change but if it is not for me it is not for me

BillRayDrums

Wow....I tried putting a 2nd tom up on the rack for this tour and that lasted about a week.....It was a nice experiment but it reminded me of the fact that I play so much better with less distractions such as another voice up front that tempts me to overplay!

Aside from moving my ride cymbal over 1 or 2 inches that's about the most I reconfigure things. For about 8 years I've been on a 4pc. kit and that's pretty much all I need.

~B

Rob the Drummer

I have my setup right where I like it. Sometimes I have to reconfigure because of space issues on some gigs! That sucks when you have no room to setup.

I used to re-configure all the time. Now my kit is just too damn big for that anymore. Having said that, I will be reconfiguring as soon as my 6" and 8" toms arrive.

Qbs

since I've found my perfect setup i try to change it very very rarely because I'm way to lazy :) as a result I have a very hard time playing on not my drums...

m

Qbs":v9bytfer said:
as a result I have a very hard time playing on not my drums...
that's my biggest concern, but I guess it's not too likely I'll have to...

mikeellis

I've been playing 1 up 2 down config for ever, I tried adding a second tom to one my kits a few months ago - it lasted about 2 hours, pointless for me.

I add in percussion stuff as the gig/session demands, but overall I can say what I've got to say on the sme, trusted set up.

drummer_jim

I actually have used the exact same set-up configuration for at least 12 years. The more comfortable I am with the set configuration the more fluidly I will play and I will "know" where things are without having to look. Allows for more eye contact with bandmates and the audience.

anavrinIV

i change minor things to improve my playing, like sometimes ill lower a cymbal a few inches so i can get to it faster and just things like that. the last time i did a major reconfig on my set was probably about 6 months ago when i went from offset to bass mounted toms...it was just a test to see what ride placement would be like when i expanded my set but the setup stuck and i really like it.

wolfsburg6674

i just moved up from a four piece to a five piece with one mounted and two on the floor and i gotta say i love my expanded set up....i tried it with a tom on my right and a tom on my left but found i like two thundering fllor toms next to eacher to do nice fast licks on...i also have a 10 inch piccalo snare next to my hats.it works really good for what i need now but im thinking about putting it on my right side and maybe working on my left hand more on the hats...my left hand is not very efficient

ARCHxANGEL

My main kit used to be changed on a regular basis.I was always adding and subtracting drums.It was at a point where I had it up to 23 drums.I've since found where I want it and my gigging kit will be at my home configuration eventually.But I have different configurations for each style of music that I play.

loop

Honestly, I hardly ever change my setup. I like everything where it is and I think I'll stick to it

Drumlord

I change my setup all the time. I'm always looking for ways to set it up better. For me, alot of it is finding quicker ways to set-up and tear-down. Since I have a "real job" and play every weekend speed is important in those areas.

Plus, I just enjoy trying new things out. I've move my hi-hat all over and change the height and location of my cymbals all the time. About the only thing that doesn't change is my kick and snare. I even adjust my throne height sometimes.

Qbs

m":2izsqqcq said:
Qbs":2izsqqcq said:
as a result I have a very hard time playing on not my drums...
that's my biggest concern, but I guess it's not too likely I'll have to...
I sometimes have to play on not my drums and I hate it, but than again I've found that my way of seting up my drums is so uncomfortable for many drummers that rarely someone wants to use my kit - and that is a good thing :)

NWCrusher":1pbhiffx said:
I do it way too often, but it keeps me on my toes, and eliminates any boredom. Large drumsets are admired by show goers, but I like to see how much I can do with a small set, but make it visually impressive.

yea man i hear ya on that i have a 8 piece Rocket Shells kit/tama starclassic/tama superstar and i fuck with it way to much there always a new and interesting set up ide like to play but since i set my kit up like Roy Mayorga i havent fucked with it anymore and its my natrual playing style ive found out,but in studio i have the 3 rack toms facing me because its easier to clear with out hitting rims,and yes i feel it eliminates boredom or 1 set up..

SketcH~