how much practice?

how much do you practice on a practice pad overall?

• a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not much

• never

• don't even own a practice pad

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

minimatt7

how much would you say you practice on the practice pads? i recently got one and it does wonders for hand technique, speed, and endurance works real well

FiestyRedDrummEr

minimatt7":37endxz2 said:
how much would you say you practice on the practice pads? i recently got one and it does wonders for hand technique, speed, and endurance works real well
I actually have to practice atleast 30 hours a week. its required for my performance class. ]

B-RAD52

FiestyRedDrummEr":10bo35na said:
minimatt7":10bo35na said:
how much would you say you practice on the practice pads? i recently got one and it does wonders for hand technique, speed, and endurance works real well[/quote
I actually have to practice atleast 30 hours a week. its required for my performance class. ]
where do you go? i have to practice as much as i can up here at school. its probably 3 hours a day with up to an additional 4-6 hours of rehearsals each day. then i gig out on friday and saturday nights. it sucks, i have like 16 hour school days.

when ever i can get the chance to im 30 years old and i have a full time job as a painter
when i practice i really make it worth it/ ill play sinlges on the double bass for one hour without stopping
and then ill work on the hands rudiments for an hour with stopping when im pressed for time
the key is not to stop so you gain the stamina thats the key all :)
when i have alot of time to practice ill do 3 hours double bass non stop meaning i dont stop for shit till 3 hours is over
also with the hands ill do 2 hours non stop
you all should try it out first for 30 min on each feet then hands then work your way up to a few hours each
when you get back on you kit / you will make your drums explode with power this is the formula for mastering drums

E=MC+ STAMINA=DRUM GOD

Guy&i

i would say a lot, but i wont say it wholeheartedly...
theres A LOT of gray ground between "a lot" and "not much".
the healthy and most benefiting thing to do in my opinion is to practice the pad at least 5 times a week, when minimal time on it is 5 minuets. be sure that at least once or twice a week u get to sit for a greater deal of time.
ull be surprised but even 5 mins does the trick if ur in a routine like that.

Gun

especially in my current situation. I have Lymphedema/lymphorrhea and many other things. I am getting better even though you never get rid of it. I practice every night almost as well as workout and practice bass and guitar, unless i'm really exhausted. I am writing for my projects new bands CD. I work on drums about an hour of rudiments and air sticking to build stamina as i am stuck in bed and too much excercise can worsen my condition. the goal is to get better. I am completely into trying even more complicated beats. my guitarist and I occasionally play at film festivals and so we have a chance to get extremely experimental. I am not much for off tempo beats with akward time signatures and shifts. I'm used to being a human metronome with feeling and style. So this type of music makes it so I really have to step up my game.
if theres a show my practice time goes up according to all the muscians skill levels, as i am too much of a perfectionist that I want to give people one of the most amazing shows they have seen. plus, i feed off of their energy. to me practice is second nature to a musician we live for the performance be it live or recording sometimes just to listen. I use a remo and a ludwig practice pad plus building my own all electronic kit. my drum kits already a hybrid acoustic/ electronic (with acoustic samples) kit. I find i even use my bed, a pillow, a neck pillow (lol) and my wheelchair cushion. even tins and the lift above my head. i know hilarious. I also use my keybords kits. probably ~12-15 hours a week. ~Gun

http://www.myspace.com/heavenfailed
http://fingergun2.tripod.com
http://fingergun2.deviantart.com

drummer4thefreaks

At least 2 hours a day here, up until recently anyway. i started full time work 2 days ago sdo i havnt had the chance annoyingly lol... I cant play my kit at home though, so im left to do rudiments with my hands and feet with my kick pad too.

percussle

hey guys, i dont know if this is the right part of the site to post but here it goes. im new to drums my life, i need some help with a practice routine. just wondering if you guys reckon it's all okay here it is. any ideas or your own routines would be nice. cheers.

i keep changing the last few parts of the routine feels weird with the timing 30 mins or if it should be longer or if i should be learning something else o get the most of my craft.

30-minute endurance exercise.
Suggested tempo 150 bpm – 250 bpm
Playing 8th notes.
4 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
8 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
12 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
16 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest.
Alternating single strokes for two minutes. (10 minute total)

Follow same example for feet. (10 minutes)

Follow same example; Play with feet and hands together. (10 minutes)

(30 Minutes)

Balance exercises.
Suggested tempo, again 150bpm-250bpm
Alternating 16th note single stokes between a hand and a foot.
Right hand / left foot two minutes
Left hand / right foot two minutes
Right hand / right foot two minutes
Left hand / left foot two minutes
Both hands and feet together two minutes (10 Minutes)

Various Drum Rudiments on practice pad with metronome. (30 Minutes)

Various Drum Rudiments applied with drum set. (30 Minutes)

Play To Songs/Tabs (To Learn) (30 minutes)

Play to Songs/Tabs (Learnt) (30 minutes)

Experimental Improvisation. (30 Minutes)

FiestyRedDrummEr

B-RAD52":15jp66ga said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":15jp66ga said:
minimatt7":15jp66ga said:
how much would you say you practice on the practice pads? i recently got one and it does wonders for hand technique, speed, and endurance works real well[/quote
where do you go? i have to practice as much as i can up here at school. its probably 3 hours a day with up to an additional 4-6 hours of rehearsals each day. then i gig out on friday and saturday nights. it sucks, i have like 16 hour school days.
I have a percussion studio at my university. That I can get into at any time, mainly because they all know me well. and I'm a responsible percussionist. I go to school full time and inbetween classes i fit it all in. Really I practice at school at home in the car..anywhere.

B-RAD52

FiestyRedDrummEr":2wfoa5cx said:
B-RAD52":2wfoa5cx said:
FiestyRedDrummEr":2wfoa5cx said:
minimatt7":2wfoa5cx said:
I have a percussion studio at my university. That I can get into at any time, mainly because they all know me well. and I'm a responsible percussionist. I go to school full time and inbetween classes i fit it all in. Really I practice at school at home in the car..anywhere.
what university do you go to?

B-RAD52

FiestyRedDrummEr":glbwumbs said:
oh really...thats awesome. im back at ccm over here at the university of cincinnati. how you like being a music major? do you have to take music history classes? i hate those. all gregorian chant sounds the same.

FiestyRedDrummEr

Yeah I'm a music major. I love it. I'm actually going to be a Doctor of Music. I wanna go straight up. but yeah the theory c;asses are a part of the role. I'm actually pretty good. I'm working on getting relative pitch. Wasn't luck enough to be born with perfect pitch...but I can get pretty close.

B-RAD52

FiestyRedDrummEr":3j4ig9i5 said:
Yeah I'm a music major. I love it. I'm actually going to be a Doctor of Music. I wanna go straight up. but yeah the theory c;asses are a part of the role. I'm actually pretty good. I'm working on getting relative pitch. Wasn't luck enough to be born with perfect pitch...but I can get pretty close.
yea, i hate people with perfect pitch. jkjk...is percussion your main study? i love theory. there is nothing like a good roman numeral analysis of a bach chorale!!!

B-RAD52

FiestyRedDrummEr":49bfmru5 said:
yea, i hate people with perfect pitch. jkjk...is percussion your main study? i love theory. there is nothing like a good roman numeral analysis of a bach chorale!!!

B-RAD52

FiestyRedDrummEr":1hdtuxsg said:

TrunJun

R L R R L R L L R L R R L R L L

then...

R L L R L R R L R L L R L R R L

then...

R R L R L L R L R R L R L L R L

My personal favorite excersize for practice pad :)