How many one hand rolls are out there???

kcin616

New member
i know of four types, but are there anymore??? just looking to explore some new ground. i know the: gravity roll, washboard roll, the sticking roll, and the see-saw roll (the last two i made up names cuz idk what exactly they are called, lol). are there anymore out there???
 

Homki890

New member
Free-hand, Drop-Catch or the Push-Pull (The Buddy Rich Trick), Rim Roll, Sweep Roll, Circus Roll, and the most coveted of all, The Bridgemen Technique.

Homki890
 

Homki890

New member
The Bridgemen Technique is a One-Handed Double Stroke Roll, in Traditional Grip. You can see why it's so coveted. It was developed by (I think) Dennis DeLucia when he worked with the Legendary Bayonne Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps. Matt Savage, a member of that corps back in the day, can play this at a blazing speed, as fast as I could play a roll with two hands, he's keeping up with one. Amazing.

Sadly, I can't play it that fast, but I can play it. Hmm...Video maybe?

Homki890
 

Brother_Bong

New member
Homki890":11pxxdql said:
The Bridgemen Technique is a One-Handed Double Stroke Roll, in Traditional Grip. You can see why it's so coveted. It was developed by (I think) Dennis DeLucia when he worked with the Legendary Bayonne Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps. Matt Savage, a member of that corps back in the day, can play this at a blazing speed, as fast as I could play a roll with two hands, he's keeping up with one. Amazing.

Sadly, I can't play it that fast, but I can play it. Hmm...Video maybe?

Homki890
Please.
 

peripsy

New member
Homki890":2ctpnl3a said:
Free-hand, Drop-Catch or the Push-Pull (The Buddy Rich Trick), Rim Roll, Sweep Roll, Circus Roll, and the most coveted of all, The Bridgemen Technique.

Homki890
I didn't know "The Bridgemen Technique" .Thanks i will search for it.
 

Henry George

New member
Homki890 said:
Free-hand, Drop-Catch or the Push-Pull (The Buddy Rich Trick), Rim Roll, Sweep Roll, Circus Roll, and the most coveted of all, The Bridgemen Technique.

Homki890
Homki890 said:
The Bridgemen Technique is a One-Handed Double Stroke Roll, in Traditional Grip. You can see why it's so coveted. It was developed by (I think) Dennis DeLucia when he worked with the Legendary Bayonne Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps. Matt Savage, a member of that corps back in the day, can play this at a blazing speed, as fast as I could play a roll with two hands, he's keeping up with one. Amazing.

Sadly, I can't play it that fast, but I can play it. Hmm...Video maybe?

Homki890

Real keen to see a vid here, you guys are amazing, great site.
 

Skipper

New member
Are we forgetting the Mohler technique?

A friend of mine took a few lessons with Dom Famularo and said that he's a major proponent of it, but he can't really do it.

I can get three strokes in a row without hurting, but when I start sustaining it, my arms get sore.

I know I am doing it right, I just don't ever really play fast.
 

kylevater

New member
Homki890":1rlchesv said:
Free-hand, Drop-Catch or the Push-Pull (The Buddy Rich Trick), Rim Roll, Sweep Roll, Circus Roll, and the most coveted of all, The Bridgemen Technique.

Homki890
i thought that freehand and gravity roll are both the same thing
 

Homki890

New member
kylevater":1a7qrm5q said:
Homki890":1a7qrm5q said:
Free-hand, Drop-Catch or the Push-Pull (The Buddy Rich Trick), Rim Roll, Sweep Roll, Circus Roll, and the most coveted of all, The Bridgemen Technique.

Homki890
i thought that freehand and gravity roll are both the same thing
They are. Just a different name.

Homki890
 

Homki890

New member
Skipper":162rjg9b said:
Are we forgetting the Mohler technique?

A friend of mine took a few lessons with Dom Famularo and said that he's a major proponent of it, but he can't really do it.

I can get three strokes in a row without hurting, but when I start sustaining it, my arms get sore.

I know I am doing it right, I just don't ever really play fast.
It's spelled "Moeller." And yes, moeller can be used for some fast singles, but only in bursts. Sustaining the Moeller at high speeds for a "one handed roll" would be illogical. You'd kill your hand and arm in the process.

Homki890
 

dedrummervanrolf

New member
from the explanation homki's given, I think the Bridgemen Technique is used too by Jim Kilpatrick.. I've seen the dude live once, and he's sick.
Is it when you play traditional grip, and do a double stroke from the thumb, followed by a double stroke from the forefinger? That's what he does every now and again, and he did it way faster than I could ever do doubles with two hands.. I can't find any video of him doing it, but youtube the man, he's a genius.
 

Homki890

New member
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2RzQMT1lt1E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2RzQMT1lt1E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'll be damned. The Bridgemen Technique is when he is describing the Left Hand on Thumb, and Right Hand as the Finger. That's the technique.

Homki890

And I have to work on my Stick Clicking now. That's some fancy shit right there.
 

Vanden

New member
Homki890":1aehrg43 said:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2RzQMT1lt1E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2RzQMT1lt1E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'll be damned. The Bridgemen Technique is when he is describing the Left Hand on Thumb, and Right Hand as the Finger. That's the technique.

Homki890

And I have to work on my Stick Clicking now. That's some fancy shit right there.
Those bastards are laughing at him??
 

BillRayDrums

New member
Vanden":2w47bpxj said:
Homki890":2w47bpxj said:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2RzQMT1lt1E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2RzQMT1lt1E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'll be damned. The Bridgemen Technique is when he is describing the Left Hand on Thumb, and Right Hand as the Finger. That's the technique.

Homki890

And I have to work on my Stick Clicking now. That's some fancy shit right there.
Those bastards are laughing at him??
Well yeah. Whenever I see someone do something so ridiculously cool I always laugh at how incredible it is. :) It's not disrespect. :)
 

Vanden

New member
Firstly, that snare sounds awesome.

Secondly, that technique is pretty cool - tried it out on both hands and my right hand is better at it so far. he is a seriously WELL GOOD player lol.
 
Top