How Many Cymbals?

skdrummer

ok, so i was wondering how many cymbals does an average to advanced drummer would need for hard rock and punk music
right now i hav zildjian ZBT hi-hat, 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" china, and a K 14 dark thin crash
my parents think that is wayy too much, i kno that they dont know about drumming, but i wanted to know how much is appropriate.

themoo2112

Its really all personal preference. Me personally I use 1 hats, 2 splashes, 3 crashes, 2 chinas. Cause thats what I like. Most people that I have seen have your setup; hats, ride, china, 2 crashes.

anavrinIV

i havea cymbal right now...1 set of hats, a ride, 3 crashes, a splash, and 2 chinas. personally i would have about 15 cymbals in my ideal setup...1-2 hats, 1 ride, 5 crashes, 2-3 splashes, 3-4 chinas. my mom doesnt really get why i have everything but she doesnt complain...my dad understands.

DrumHead15

Do you mean just to play out with or in your collection? I use these setups typically.

Play out setup:

straight gig:
1 hihat
1 splash
2 crash
1 ride
1 china

For a big fun setup: (Tool'ish/ Danny Carey'ish)
2-3 bells
3 splash
2 hi hat sets also maybe a 10" micro set or a 10" bell/12 china hihats
3-4 crash
2 rides
2-3 china
1 wind gong

Collection:
You can never have enough sounds to choose from.
I have around a 100 or so right now. But this is years of collecting and waiting for the right deals, and luck etc..

Papa John

right now i currently use sabian b8 hi-hat, 2 zbt crashes, a random ass crash cymbal, a 10' splash, and two crash/rides.

i am gonna change soon to 2 hi-hats, one ride and one crash/ride, 2 splash, two chinas, and four crashes. i think its more fun to have more, but personally i just feel more comfortable having more

deep-illusions

Well if i had the money, believe me I would have thousands of cymbals around me, I love their sounds...
I have a crash/ride, 1 hi-hat, 1 china, 2 splash, 2 crash....
To my set up I will soon add a cowbell, a tamborine, 2 more splash, 2 more crash, a ride and 1 more china, but like everyone said, its up to you...bands these days, such as All American Rejects and My Chemical Romance use around 5 cymbals.... I, personally prefer the styles of old school....so I will expand on my cymbals...but its a preference issue. :D

Shalaq

I play currently blues/rock/hard rock and I use 5 cymbals(20 medium heavy with rivets, 22 extra heavy, 17 heavy and 17 medium, 14 hats) but I'd easily do with 3. But it would cut many textures that I use in my playing.

opethmurillo05

its all on wut the person likes. i have one ride one set of hats 3 splashs one chaina and two crashes. but for rock and set of hats two crashes a ride and that hould be fiine be in the end wutever u like

Papa John

deep-illusions":1ekpg1ut said:
Well if i had the money, believe me I would have thousands of cymbals around me, I love their sounds...
I have a crash/ride, 1 hi-hat, 1 china, 2 splash, 2 crash....
To my set up I will soon add a cowbell, a tamborine, 2 more splash, 2 more crash, a ride and 1 more china, but like everyone said, its up to you...bands these days, such as All American Rejects and My Chemical Romance use around 5 cymbals.... I, personally prefer the styles of old school....so I will expand on my cymbals...but its a preference issue. :D
friggin bands like my chemical romance dont deserve to be called a band lol they're friggin horrible. most of the bands nowadays are pathetic. you can find better garages bands than them. shoot i could be a millionaire right now goddam lol

if i had the money i think i would have terry bozzio's set
........ok that's a lil extreme

Muley

Wads up fellow drummers. LIke everyone said its a personal preference. I'm in a Metal band right now but even if I was in a jazz band or any other I would use the same set up.
20" A Rock Ride
2 19" Z-Custom Rock Crashs
17" Z-Custom Rock Crash
16" Z-Custom Rock Crash
18" Z-Custom China
20" Platinum China (Remember these)
12" Z-Custom splash
1 set 14" New Beat hats
1 set 14" K MAstersound hats
large & small Z-bels
All I need is a Gong which I'm workin on

You can check out my set on my bands sites
Peace
Muley=THC=

Mikkey

I guess the "how many" question depends on how many you feel you need. I dunno about an exact number even for the same style. Me, I got a ton of cymbals and most people joke "that's ridiculous, I bet he doesn't use half of them" -but I do. I have the cymbals I do and the amount I do because they give me lots of options.
My setup:
14" Paiste Rude Sound-Edge main hi-hats
13" Sabian AAX Fast Hats auxillary hi-hats
14" K custom fast crash
15" Avedis Zildjian thin crash
16" Sabian Pro studio crash
17" Sabian Vault crash
18" Zildjian K crash/ride (I put this close to the main hats so I can use it as another ride; mostly for crash purposes though)
20" Paiste Rude crash/ride
22" Sabian Paragon ride
16" Paiste prototype china (sounds a little like the innovations line)
18" Paiste Alpha china (the old line, when they were still swiss made)
Gives me lots of options and I use 'em all. I do play mostly Jazz and metal. Problem is the setup is a major pain if I travel with 'em.

Robobob

It's quite early in the morning so I don't remember exactly what cymbals I have as far as class, but I have;

2 Ziljian Crash
1 Paste Sizzle crash
1 Ziljian splash
1 Ziljian China Trash
1 Ziljian Ride
1 Zijian Ride/crash
1 Sabian hi-hat. (I only use it cause I got a sweet deal. I'm not a Sabian fan, at least not as much as I am a Ziljian fan)
and I also have ANOTHER hi-hat to the right of me, but I made it out of 2 VERY small Ziljian field crash cymbals. That thing has such an ugly sound. I use it all the time!

But as some one posted before, some people say "Wow, thats a lot. I bet you don't even use them all..." HA! OH YES I GOD DAMN DO! To me, you can NEVER have too many cymbals, as long as you use them all. If you're in a band you don't have to use every cymbal in every song. But if you get another cymbal just for one part in a song to make it sound amazing, then it is money well spent. :twisted:

14" Sabian Hi Hats
18" Chad Smith sig Sabian Crash
16" Sabian Crash
20" Sabian Ride with a big bell.....
Large Zil Bell
CowBell
10" Sabian Splash

I like this set up, but want a 14" Crash which is a bit faster and crisp, then a 14" and 18" China.

I am sorry but i hate it when people are so oppinionated about bands, like earlier in this thread...i mean, its just pointless....music is so broad it covers millions of different tastes....if you dont like something then just dont listen to it....listen to what you want to.

Sorry but its just a pet hate, i dont mean to be rude but it just annoys me

R.I.X.

14" Zildjian Hats
8" Zildjian splash
16" Zildjian thin crash
16" Zildjian avedias crash
18" Zildjian dark crash
14" Zildian China
20" Zildjian crash/ride
20" Zildjian ride

Dave2094

I think its all just about your own style and taste. I play 1 set of hats, 2 splashes, 2 crashes 1 ride and 1 china. Of course I'd like to add another china, another crash or 2 and another splash.

hits hard

My top Hat is a Zildjian K 14 and the bottom is a old Zildjian Z Dyno beat 14, I have 2 Zildjian Crashs 1 Zildjian Ride !!!

Four Sticks

If you are looking to look cool, just go with as many cymbals as you can afford. If you want to sound good, you need only a few. Most of the time its how you use your kit, and how to help the band sound good as a band. I would pick a couple of drummers out that you like in the style of your bands music. Example, punk music, maybe look at Travis Barkers set up.

Dale

How many cymbals I use depends on the band and the music. For example, when I played in a prog metal band I used 14" new beat hats, 13" KZ hats, 8 & 12" splashes, 15, 16 & 17" crashes, 2 18" chinas and two 20" ride cymbals.

But when playing in a more song oriented band, I'd be more inclined to use 1 set of hats, 2 rides (always 2 rides) and 1 or 2 crash cymbals. Sometimes no crashes at all.

downshifter99

Ultimately,there is no right answer for that...it's not something written in stone.I know guys/gals that play rock/hard rock that only have one crash.....and I also know people that have more than you can count.

I play "rock/hard rock" and I have:1 set of hi hats,1 ride,1 china,3 crashes,1 china splash,3 bells/effects cymbals,5 piece fusion kit & a double pedal.

Alot of people that see my set say I have a lot but,I don't think so.

Alot of people are saying "look at so and so's kit" like that's the standard for anything.I don't care what so and so's playing on...it's ALL a PERSONAL CHOICE.What ever you want to do,do it...set your own standard.

nrlang86

For most occasions, I use 1 hihat (Zildjian K Custom 13"), one crash (Paiste Sig. 17"), One thick ride (Paiste Sig. 20" full ride), and one thin ride cymbal (Zildian Prototype 20"). so right now, four cymbals.
I only have four cymbal stands. So when I stop being such a cheapass, I might be able to expand a bit, like adding my splash, a china, or perhaps another crash or two. I dont know.