How do you tune your snare??

46&2

yo guys..just got a new snare drum for xmass..black panther birdseye maple..and i removed stock head and put a Evans G1 clear snare head..it was 1 of the only 13 inch snare drum heads GC had...and i cant seem to get rid of the ring in the snare...idk how to tune a snare drum, so if u guys could give me some info on like whether the batter should be tight and the bottom head loose or w/e works..help me out!

If its a clear snare head it might actually be a reso head. I don't know of any batter heads that are clear (for snare.) But I have a Pork Pie Little Squealer, 12"x5.5". I have an Evans G2 Coated on it. I have it it cranked up pretty tight to give me a real poppy, tight, sound. I tune the reso head just a little looser than the batter. Oh, and I crank the snares themselves up pretty tight as well. It'll probably still ring a little but when you're playing (especially with a band and other instruments) the ring will be unnoticeable.

devilspain

i posted this quick help guide to snare tuning works for me! hope it helps!

or as what has been mentioned. loosen the lugs on the snare bed. or follow the simple method. remove the snares. finger tighten the lugs of the reso head. should see loads of wrinkles around the snare beds. press a finger on the centre of the head, and tighten in tiny turns the 4 lugs on either side of the snare bed till the wrinkles have been removed dont touch the other lugs of the snare. once wrinkles have been removed tighten up the rest of the snare lugs say a quarter turn each about 4/5/6 times. (use the 2 key method, a key on each opposite lug. if you have loads of keys have one on each lug saves time.)tighten each lug (bar the 4 either side of the snare bed) till you get a poppy sound. tune the batter head. then have the snare throw on and loosen till it nearly falls off. attach the snares and slowly turn the key lifting the snares to the reso head once you have a nice sound job complete. i have to set up a video some time.

devilspain

46&2":xhhjaov3 said:
yo guys..just got a new snare drum for xmass..black panther birdseye maple..and i removed stock head and put a Evans G1 clear snare head..it was 1 of the only 13 inch snare drum heads GC had...and i cant seem to get rid of the ring in the snare...idk how to tune a snare drum, so if u guys could give me some info on like whether the batter should be tight and the bottom head loose or w/e works..help me out!

emm, get a hazy 300 or a snare reso head. there are specific heads for the snare reso you'll get the best sound or if all else fails a bit of dampening cant go amiss!

Lancelot Frosty

I'm with devilspain here.
I normally make the batter real tight, and the reso just a tiny bit looser.
I make the snares pretty tight, but not to the point of choking the drum.

AmnestysLowEnd

I tune my snare good!!!!

For real, just play around with the head tensions and a Coated head will get rid of that ring and a 2 ply coated will really dry it out.

Angry_Monkey

46&2":3qifis1m said:
Generally the batter is tuned higher (greater tension) than the snare side.
To kill ring, try loosening the tuners adjacent to the snare beds, or a bit of Smurf Snot (MoonGel) on the batter.
Rounding over the bearding edges will help tame ring, but is far more dramatic (exhaust your head options first) and is easy to royally screw up.

Another trick to try is to use a strip of felt or batting (1 to 2 inches wide) under the head.

I would also recommend a heavier coated head on top. If GC doesn't have one, either they will order one for you, or you can get one from an on-line retailer.

SGarrett

Nice snare, man. You won't kill the ring on that drum without killing it altogether. Check out The Drum Tuning Bible on Google and possibly use a MoonGel or two.

xdoseonex

x_dont_even_ask_x":pmgk813c said:
If its a clear snare head it might actually be a reso head. I don't know of any batter heads that are clear (for snare.) But I have a Pork Pie Little Squealer, 12"x5.5". I have an Evans G2 Coated on it. I have it it cranked up pretty tight to give me a real poppy, tight, sound. I tune the reso head just a little looser than the batter. Oh, and I crank the snares themselves up pretty tight as well. It'll probably still ring a little but when you're playing (especially with a band and other instruments) the ring will be unnoticeable.
g1's are just 1 ply clear heads. they can be used for batter of resonants. the that 1 ply clear head is the reason your getting all that ring. try a 2 ply coated head. if not 2 ply still coated. You;ll notice a huge improvement. i always use moolgels on my snare. i dont ecven have to hit it after i tune anymore to know i'm gonna want a moongel. i play a metal snare and i like it dry. so definately get a coated head. try a g2 instead of a g1. or if you want a 1 ply get a powerdot to add some more focusa and attack and absorb some of the ring. and try to put a moongel on therre. I cut mine in half and use one half on each siede of the batter head

xdoseonex

wait, your usung a g1 as the SNARE SIDE HEAD? yopu need to get something thinner. snare side heads are specially made for snare drums and they are alot different than other heads. you need spmething made for the bottom of a snare drum. its called a "snare side head"

46&2

im using the G1 clear head on the batter side..i still have the remo stock head on the snare side...so are u saying i can use the g1 as a resonant head too??

xdoseonex

the g1 is evans 1 ply head, they come clear and coated
the g2 is evans 2 ply headn which also come clear and coated
I suggest a coated head on the batter side of your snare drum. some people like 1 ply some people like 2. there are people who use clear heads on theyre snares, and im sure theres people who use clear 1 ply heads. but most people dont. and i think theres a reason for that. coated heads are definately the standard for snare drums. i like the coated G2, and the reverse power dot (which is basically a coated G1 with an added reinforcenent dot on the bottom of the head). and like i said the head on the bottom of your snare should be a snare side head.

Brother_Bong

xdoseonex":vr1chsof said:
the g1 is evans 1 ply head, they come clear and coated
the g2 is evans 2 ply headn which also come clear and coated
I suggest a coated head on the batter side of your snare drum. some people like 1 ply some people like 2. there are people who use clear heads on theyre snares, and im sure theres people who use clear 1 ply heads. but most people dont. and i think theres a reason for that. coated heads are definately the standard for snare drums. i like the coated G2, and the reverse power dot (which is basically a coated G1 with an added reinforcenent dot on the bottom of the head). and like i said the head on the bottom of your snare should be a snare side head.
The norm maybe, but not for all cases.I use clear pinstripe, tighter than a blankity-blank as my batter on a steel Mapex, and it's a gunshot. Smaller clubs I've had to mute it some. But, I must admit I am rim-shot crazy. Not saying yer wrong bro, just my 2 cents.