How do you tune your drums?

Gabimo

ive had my new set for a while but i think now it sounds terrible compared everyone elses, how do you guys tune your heads?

if i used a guitar tuner to make sure all the hits are the same would it work?

Rob Crisp

Gabimo":3j5fdqbw said:
ive had my new set for a while but i think now it sounds terrible compared everyone elses, how do you guys tune your heads?

There are various instruments for tuning drums. The two I use and I would say you only really need are your ears and a drum key.

Tuning is all about practice, the more you do it, the better you get and the better your sound will be. I liken it to sex. You want to do it, the more you do it the better it gets! And then hopefully you get more still.

I keep my tuning low, Just Above Wrinkle (JAW tuning) so the heads are punchy and deep but not flat like a cardboard box.

You'll be amazed how just the tiniest of turns on a lug all around a drum wil raise the pitch.

Here's a great place to start! http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

break the prism

for my studio kit i try to have my toms and kick tuned to notes, counting down in half-steps from high to low. the kick is generally a half step lower than my lowest tom. my snare is at relatively the same pitch as my 12" tom. i use a piano to match pitches.

dunkerton12

Just google the Drum Tuning Bible.

It takes time and patience, and lots of frustration, to get it right. Hang in there.

bapudi

with the drum dial and lots of time on your hands. then once there all in tune i go back and tune them so there all an octive up or down.

Sticks1

Once you find tunings you like (good formula's and links have already been given) a nice tool is a drum torque wrench. You can find the average tension and mark it on your head. That way at a gig or playing in an environment that is noisy or tough to work in, you can just crank it back up to where you had it. It's also good to experiment with different tensions and see how they sound and feel.

DGFITZ

Gabimo":30vkqnzn said:

Yes, start with the bass at low E , Then F# , then A , Then D and the Snare at E. If you have a six piece tune the smallest
tom to G.

SGarrett

DGFITZ":25rsslpq said:
Gabimo":25rsslpq said:

Yes, start with the bass at low E , Then F# , then A , Then D and the Snare at E. If you have a six piece tune the smallest
tom to G.
Provided the shells accept those notes.

DGFITZ

SGARRETT
Provided the shells accept those notes.[/quote]

Very true, and he may find that starting with a low D or low G would be preferable, but at least
start somewhere, and besides, a bass player could help him and will certainly understand a low E.
I had a set of Yammas that would never tune to an exact note, and after a year of frustration and
head changes, I unloaded them, but damned they were beautiful.LOL Other drummers just laughed
at me for my attitude, and now I have a nickname from them about the situation, but my tender
little feelings won't let me repeat the nickname,LOL.

okjohne

With my key of course, I find where the first tom sounds nice. Even the corners out and then go down in 3rds or 5ths depending on how many drums and their dimensions.