How Do You tune A BassDrum Sub-Woofer?

PaulZILLA

so im working on that monster 24x22 bassdrum finaly, and im loving the sound. its insane, but im thinking about building a sub-woofer too. ive heard a few kits with them, and like the sound alot, i dont really mute my bass any and stuff it full. generaly i run it wide open(no muting inside it) at the most i may throw in a small throw pillow(maybe 6inx6in) and call it a day. but im thinking a sub may help me push that sound even further, but i have not the slightest idea on how to tune one of those things. like-wise im also looking for the sub mounting hardware for in case i do, and its bloody hard finding that stuff in the same brass finish im using.

m

I would think you would try to tune it the same as the main bass drum, as the purpose is to increase resonance. Wouldn't it transfer better at the same tension? I've never used the technique, so I can't say definitively. But it seems that to produce more/amplified bass tone by using the additional resonator of a subwoofer shell, you'd want them to vibrate in unison. I would expect that to work best at the same tension.

I'll try to do some more research to confirm or disprove...

You are talking about attaching another bassdrum sized shell to the resonant side of your present bass, yes? Like the DW subwoofer concept?

PaulZILLA

yes, like the dw subwoofer concept, they do it more than other companies. but im building this, to match that gargantuan 24x22 bass. id take pics. but i promised myself i wont post pics till i have the snare and at least one tom done to match it. so it looks like a set, not just a bass. the yamaha subkick is one of the options i thought about, and it would save me from having to put mountin hardware on the bass for the subwoofer. just really wanted to build as much of it as possible. ive never played with one of those things, but ive been to shows where the drummer used them(and some along with standard mic setup) and the bass sounded HUGE. ill have to go to my local sactum(the drummers' pad drum shop) and see if they have any in stock to try out, i may just do that. thanks for the idea kev. btw im in the process of ordering an entire set of saluda earthworks, and a few others(salbal bell(3.5in), expressions bell(7.5in) and some of their double boom(counterweighted) stands.