How do you guys start off a song?

mead50

When you guys are first starting off with a song who starts off the idea?

The band I'm in I ussually just give the beat to start it off and I find it very wierd.I always do this. Plus I'm out of ideas since these guys are very picky. I ussually wait for the other musicians to do something, then I come in and feel it with other people I jam out with

But how do you guys do it? Pointers? This is my first out of school none jazz band and I have no idea what I'm doing lol

SGarrett

That's how my first out-of-school band was, too. It gets old. Tell them to do their homework and write away from rehearsal...dedicated writing rehearsals aside. Songwriting should be done by the songwriters and them needing you to play something usually means that they don't have any ideas either. You guys might want to try listening to some new music. Something you wouldn't normally listen to will often give you all kinds of ideas. :)

A good jam, however, starts with someone noodling something cool and everyone else joining in. A good way to get ideas, to take home and work on, but mostly just a fun time waster.

metldrummer2112

Is there an appointed songwriter in your band? Because in mine our lead guitarist writes 99% of everything and the rest of us just write for that song. It's nice though, because he writes everything very meticulously and carefully and we write for his stuff like that too. It's never really a jam, just writing.

If you guys don't have an appointed songwriter, I don't know

Jimbob2020

in my band all of us have written something except the bassist and it works awesomely. Our main writer is our lead guitarist who writes about 80% of our stuff.

Assback

My bassist and guitarist write the songs. Usually both come with completed songs. They play it for one another and the other comes up with a part for it. I'm usually watching TV during this bc. its easier for them if Im not banging away

I come in and they show me the song. I break it down, verses, chouruses, solos, break downs, speed ups, slow downs, etc. etc.

I ask them to play it all the way through and I experiment. I do this maybe 4 or 5 times. Then once I got the skeleton of it, I ask them to play certain parts over and over again while I experiment.

I usually make changes to the songs at this point. Different transitions. Pauses, lenghts of parts, etc.

once I have my skeleton completed I add zest. I decide what kind of fills, how frequntly and how long. I decide how intense or controlled or loud or open or fast I want the song to sound and play accordingly.

At this point, it starts being played live (since we're contantly gigging) and over the next few months I change the parts until I'm satisfied or until I get lazy

SuNoAnBuKi

In my band it's pretty much a 50/35/15 split between my guitar player(50), bass player(15) and I(35). My guitar or bass player will come to me with a riff they've been working on and we'll jam it out, make revisions, record a rough draft, practice it, practice it more and then record the final version. Works the same way if I come to them with something I've been working on. Other times before a rehearsal or recording session we'll just jam and a lot of really good material has come from that too.

mead50

Ah i get it :)

one last question.

in your band do all your guys members listen to the same music?

In my band were really tight, were basically brothers you know but my singer listens to techno, rob zombie, stuff in that stuff
my bass player listens to metal and classic rock
and me and guitar player listen to like angels and airwaves,dr.dog, blink-182, kings of leon, etc.

Do you all have the same influences or something cause i feel that this is the problem with us i guess. We all dont think the same.

Assback

my band, we all listen to BASICALLY the same stuff

not genre speaking, but when any of them put on something new, our tastes are simillar enough that we all like it too...for the most part

metldrummer2112

For the most part, we all listen to metal. And after metal, we all have our own little things, like I have jazz and the blues, and the guitarist has progressive rock and stuff like that. He actually hasn't been listening to a lot of metal lately though...

But for the most part, none of us have showed each other a band that the other didn't like....except Whitechapal and Job For A Cowboy.....my guitarist really hates metalcore haha

TOTEMdrum

In my band, the guitarist/lead singer writes 90% of the stuff, and comes to me when he's hit a road block (I also play guitar) and we'll finish it together. I write the other 10%. It is rare that we come up with a song in jam form. There have been a few, but usually aren't the better ones.

In terms of music that we listen to, we all listen to rock and metal and have favorite bands that cross over but we really go off in other directions after that. It helps out a lot because we are all going for a similar style but have mildly different influences we're pulling from to get there which makes an interesting sound.

SuNoAnBuKi

I listen to everything (minus country), my guitar player listens to metal, indie/acoustic and some rap, my bass player listens to whatever we show him. Haha.

SGarrett

I think it's a good thing when the different band members bring their own influence to the music. If everyone listens to Pantera, for example, the band will just be a Pantera clone. The best bands I've been in have wide ranges of influence.

Sunoanbuki touched on an important point, listening to a wide range of music yourself. I listen to pretty much everything including country and it helps me with my various gigs. I can say "ok, this song kinda sounds like this so I'll give it this feel". Not to mention the amount of groove and fill ideas you can pick up and use across different genres.

SuNoAnBuKi

Exactly. I also think playing a wide range of music helps too. Growing up I was taught to play jazz and funk and if I didn't do my (drum) homework then it was polka Tuesday and country Saturday for two weeks. But when it wasn't lesson time and I wasn't being punished I'd play classic rock or metal. After a while I'd start incorporating the different styles together into my solos..4 bars of this 4 bars of that, 2 bars of this 4 bars of that. You know. I gotta say I hated playing jazz and funk growing up..and hated polka Tuesdays and country Saturdays even more. What ten year old wants that? But if it wasn't for my drum instructor insisting on it and swearing one day I'd understand I wouldn't even be half the drummer I am today.

Alan_

even as a small child I had really diverse tastes. everything from george jones to sun ra to p-funk to blue cheer to tchaikovsky. I remember stewart copeland saying something in an interview regarding incorporating disparate influences into ones style to create a unique artistic point of view. most of the musicians I work with have a pretty broad perspective.

I always suggest to everybody to listen to EVERYTHING. even if it's not your personal cup of tea, you can still learn from others' approaches.

Damagedrummer

metldrummer2112":5egdhrz4 said:
Is there an appointed songwriter in your band? Because in mine our lead guitarist writes 99% of everything and the rest of us just write for that song. It's nice though, because he writes everything very meticulously and carefully and we write for his stuff like that too. It's never really a jam, just writing.

If you guys don't have an appointed songwriter, I don't know
What he said basicly; With my own band the guitarplayers almost write all the material. They come in the rehearsalroom with finished guitartracks for a song. Usually with some ideas for drums and bassguitar aswell. I then ask if they will play the song for a few times to get an idea of the feel. Then we alltogether hit it off and usually play through the fist riff. Then maybe the second riff. We do this over and over again 'till we all get a good idea of our own part and eachother's. After that they usually email me the guitarparts, wich gives me a week to come up with drumparts. During the next few rehearsals we finish the song. For us this works the best and fairly fast aswell.

With my other band it much more jamming-wise-writing and talk about what feels best for the song. This band is also little productive, but with those songs it's more about atmosphere and feel, instead of the brutal deathmetal like writing with the other band.

So yeah, you should appoint someone or some people as the main songwriters. If then everybody does his/her homework you'll be recording an album soon.

Alan_

as for me, in the bands I'm playing in now, we all write, but the guitarists in all 3 do write over half the material. I'm called on to structure and arrange everything, even their stuff, in two of the bands, though. so even though I'm not the main writer, I am "traffic cop" for lack of a better term, doing things like telling the harmony singers what to sing, where to repeat a section (or not), making adjustments to how things interact, etc.

Damagedrummer

I'm actually writing drums right now. The guitarplayers recorded their tracks and mailed them over. I'm now programming the drums in fruity loops. Then I'll play the song in winamp and try to hit the spacebutton at the right time to start the fuityloops drumtracks, wich I actually must start a splitsecond earlier to deal with a slight delay. But after a while you get the idea and it works out fine now. No I only somehow gotta learn how to play, what I just programmed :p