how do u be a good drummer without overplaying

seandude

jw cause all the drumers i seeall seem to be the best and idk how i can be as great as the without pulling off a great fill or solo and f i do people say "u overlay" and if i just stay with a simple bet people think ur bad or dont reconzie u

hw do u become great

loop

I think you need to create some kind of a balance between playing simple parts and showing your skills.

WhiteOleander

yea Id say play some simple varied beats with good flow and transitions, and a couple great fills that fit perfectly

seandude

but funky beats are harder with a band thats not to good...like the bass and gutar are simple and results in a simple drum line and its bummin me out =/

Scott_Hurford

ask a REALLY good drummer to play the easiest beat they can think off... any chance they've play something with the odd fill :p
what i mean here is, most good drummer forget to practice the easy stuff and move straight onto the hard, so when it comes to playing simple stuff, they cant :eek:

WhiteOleander

Scott_Hurford":wp9ll5v7 said:
ask a REALLY good drummer to play the easiest beat they can think off... any chance they've play something with the odd fill :p
what i mean here is, most good drummer forget to practice the easy stuff and move straight onto the hard, so when it comes to playing simple stuff, they cant :eek:
hear hear, the first song i ever played was Master of Puppets.. could play all that metallica stuff without a problem, but couldn't play Back in Black because it was too simple.. its retarded =)

drummert2k

the reason a lot of drummers can play some harder stuff and crap out and the easier stuff is all a matter of control and timing (same goes for drummers who cant play soft. we'll all be in the situation sometime when we have to play very very soft in order to stay balanced in the mix. ) try to play a simple drum beat at 60 Bpm. if you can do that and do it solid and well then you've done your homework. if not, then you have something to work on. if you're planning on getting into the studio musician side of drumming and you cant play a solid simple beat with a good feel you probably wont get hired.

Shalaq

If we had to keep it simple we would stick with the Money Groove(I hope I got that right), that is bass on 1&3 and snare on 2&4. You just have to find a groove that will groove by itself and will groove with the band.

Dale

seandude":q7dxkjls said:
jw cause all the drumers i seeall seem to be the best and idk how i can be as great as the without pulling off a great fill or solo and f i do people say "u overlay" and if i just stay with a simple bet people think ur bad or dont reconzie u

hw do u become great
As far as I am aware, most of the great drummers have become great by making the music, not themselves, the top priority.

As an example: I have never heard anything within Steve Gadd's playing that could be attributed to ego. And yet he's the greatest drummer alive.

soliddrummer

I agree with Dale, we're here to serve the song. Chops are good to pull out of the 'tool-box' when you need them, and are also necessary for every drummer who wants to better himself/herself.

zen_drummer

Dale":xorddr9w said:
I have never heard anything within Steve Gadd's playing that could be attributed to ego. And yet he's the greatest drummer alive.
And a VERY humble man as well...

Gadd is a complete professional, he gets hired to play "the music" and one of the reason he's the most recorded drummer of all time is because he does exactly what he's hired to do... he plays the music.

PERFECTLY

RobDrmz

Some of the current drummers I think everyone should check out are: Steve Ferrone & Derrick McKenzie

They both are SO relaxed when playing. DM looks like he's running a Nasa Control room with his fingertips. :shock:

CHrisRoadstar

Play for the music, the song..
not for yourself or the drummers in the audiance

crazy fast drum fills will go over 99% of peoples heads..
simple, affective & powerful is better .. thats my opinion anyway, esp for Rock

alexforwood

Yeh its like Dave Grohl's power fills with QOTSA and Nirvana, they weren't in 13/16 with the high hats playing a shuffle and the hands play straight. They just suited the song.

Having said which, if you just go
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + on the snare every time you need to vary it a bit :D

Jordyn

Keep perfect time, because that's the most important job. Throw in some amazing fills or intros. Maybe ask your band if they can give you a little more recognition in the music, like small solos or a trading fours type of deal. Also, you can keep a simple beat that is different and unique, which helps you stand out.

granny p

my teacher once said to me "you can sit there and learn to play faster and faster and faster and more and more technical, but i've never seen someone your age who could sit behind someone like Barry Manilow and play with the right feel"
its all about feel, knowing what to put where and when. You can have all the chops in the world, but if you turn up to an audition and they're playing 'back in black' then you gotta sit there and lay it down solid. Simple as that

EKoolaidsDrummer

I think you answered your own question....
I know you just bought Modern Drummer 2005 or the Mike Portnoy or Dennis Chambers video and "borrowed" some really hot licks, but every playing situation may not call for those licks...

A good drummer plays drums a GREAT DRUMMER CREATES MUSIC!
ADVICE to REGULAR WORK (and keep your pockets filled $$$)

1. Keep the rythm steady.....

2. SERVICE THE MUSIC.... Key in on Changes, Hits, Fills that other musicians are doing, ......

3. Love the sound of the BAND over your own instrument!!!!!....
(My favorite line from the movie DRUM LINE)

4. SPEAK UP!!!!! As a working drummer sometimes a song can use a fresh perspective.........

PatternsInTheIvy

First of all I think you should learn how to speak english, I dont know if you're from an american speaking country or not, but that would help. Secondly, no need for more imput. Zen_drummer said it the best.