how do i play faster double bass pedals?

how do i become a faster drummer?
i can play pretty fast but i need to learn some secretes to becoming a fast player with double bass pedal, can you please tell me some secretes

.Daniel.

a comment question ^^

just start by doing some rudiments with the feet, (NOT ROLLS FOR GOD SAKES). start with 1-1 then 2-2 then paradidles etc...

but remember, no matter how fast u r trying to play, u prefer playing it a little slower but with control, i mean don't play with your toes just to make it sound faster, play with the whole foot but control your hits.

and good luck of course :D

chachaman02

This is like the 5th double bass pedal post I've seen in the last 2 days. But Its cool. Any way, Chris Adler said "There's no cheat code to playing fast on double bass. Just practice" He's right. Just practice a lot and over time you'll get a lot faster. it worked for me. also, you should try to pick up thomas lang's "Creative Control" dvd. It really is what made me a good drummer.

FrozenTimeGMS

Seriously...there really is no "secret" to an approach for fast double-bass speed. All it takes is just practice. I'd reccomend purchasing a metronome (TAMA rhythm watch RW100 is what i used....it's well worth the buy) and start at a speed you feel is comfortable for you. And gradually increase the speed so you can improve on speed.

vargasdrumbeast

In my opinion what you really need to do is get an old crappy double pedal, and some ankle weights and just practice all types of different rudiments, not rolls, but just some basic rudiments

It worked for me

ive been playing with the double pedals since i was 12 and the way i sped up my feet was the same way that i sped up in my rudiments. i used a metronome and gradually built up the speed. another way that i learned but didnt work for me was to tighten your pedals as tight as they go when you practise so that you build up the muscles in your legs and then when you loosen the springs you should be able to kick faster. apparently it works but i found it hard. the metronome way worked for me. just set the metronome and then play a beat in time with the metronome playing the double bass within the beat but not too fast. it all takes practise!!

Spydr2000

You gotta play slow before you can play fast. You gotta develope control first. This means a good hour everyday or more of nothing but feet exercises. Try practicing patterns with your hands and play them with your feet.

Also I do believe alot of the fastest feet out there play with alot of spring tension but don't quote me on that...can anyone in here verify that? I think the spring tension you use now will be the backbone of the technic you develope.

Also it's not the pedals that are fast it's the people using them. So you will not need a $700 pedal set-up such as Axis or Trick. Probably the best pedals out there for the money are the Tama Iron Cobra and the Pearl Eliminator.

Good luck..

lowdrummer

PRactice, practice, practice, thats it. There are secrets to practicing though like metronomes like people have been saying, and ya Thomas Langs video helped me alot, I also work my calves out alot at the gym and it helps a little with heel up playing, or you can go out and buy an Axis Longboard pedal and try to master heel toe movements :wink:

Shalaq

Spydr2000":11xgp8dy said:
You gotta play slow before you can play fast. You gotta develope control first. This means a good hour everyday or more of nothing but feet exercises. Try practicing patterns with your hands and play them with your feet.

Also I do believe alot of the fastest feet out there play with alot of spring tension but don't quote me on that...can anyone in here verify that? I think the spring tension you use now will be the backbone of the technic you develope.

Also it's not the pedals that are fast it's the people using them. So you will not need a $700 pedal set-up such as Axis or Trick. Probably the best pedals out there for the money are the Tama Iron Cobra and the Pearl Eliminator.

Good luck..
There are loads of drummers who play lightning fast foot stuff and have loads of spring tension. The reason for that is the drums are tuned low, so the rebound is small. The tighter the spring the faster the rebound is, hence you can repeat the stroke faster.

sjones180

how to get faster?

simple...practise more.

you can get faster quicker by doing stuff like rudiments, or sustaining singles for periods of time.

but basically just alot of practise.

brian

if you are able to do it you can do heel toe technique on both pedals, but that can be hard i can only do it on longboards

writheindecay

do what i do

set your metronme at 120

15 minutes - R
15 minutes - L
15 minutes - RR LL RR LL RR LL(youll probably have to go down to about 70 or 80 to do this one for a while)

writheindecay

Spydr2000":ishct3pt said:
You gotta play slow before you can play fast. You gotta develope control first. This means a good hour everyday or more of nothing but feet exercises.

Good luck..

amen.

axis pedals are useless unless you trigger. had a 500 dollar axis a2 double pedal, smooth, took a while to get used to but lacked the power of the iron cobras. switched back to iron cobras and havent been happier since.

and the key to playing fast is playing slow.
if you cant play it slow, you cant play it fast. i dont care how elly ou think you play when you sit down and balls to the wall try and double bass, i gurantee youre not playing what you think you are. i learned that the hard way.

Flatliner

Here's the secret............hours and hours of practice.

btw if you need any other tips on how to do something really well look up above, that's it my friend, there's different techs. but they all require you to sit down and practice your ass off.

Covethedude

chachaman02":2k4sc87u said:
This is like the 5th double bass pedal post I've seen in the last 2 days. But Its cool. Any way, Chris Adler said "There's no cheat code to playing fast on double bass. Just practice" He's right. Just practice a lot and over time you'll get a lot faster. it worked for me. also, you should try to pick up thomas lang's "Creative Control" dvd. It really is what made me a good drummer.
I agree Thomas Lang's DVD is great ! It's helped me alot
with double bass and cleaning up a lot of bad technique.
It seems exspensive, but it's totally worth the money.
Plus, some of his twirling stick tricks are pretty entertaining.

Mike T

The people telling you to use a metrognome are right on the money..or get the cd MR Click is plays a metronome beat from 45 beats per min to 180 just put it on and start l rl r then rlrl then rrll llrr etc and speed up with the cd it will make your playing 100% better if you stick with it and you will get faster as well

Indeed, the key to quick double bass is practice and starting out slow. A couple tricks that I learned and that I utilize when it comes to playing fast double bass, is relaxing and the flat foot technique.

I learned from Gene Hoglan to relax the faster you go, dont tense up.

The flat foot technique I learned from Derek Roddy, formerly of death metal band Hate Eternal. Another drummer that uses this technique is George Kollias of Nile.
Basically it's like bouncing your leg when your bored or you're nervous, ya know? You play with your feet flat, your heels only coming up an inch or two or three from the pedal. I find it easier to play fast double kick his way, than heels up like I used to.

Also, CONTROL!!! make every stroke hit with the same power and volume so you dont end up doing fluttery rumble thing that alot of inexpereinced drummers tend to do when they go in to fast double kick runs. hit every stroke, every note stroke should be heard, not lost in a flutter