how do i make my toms sound better?

Gaddabout

ccrdrums":u8975xxt said:
please let me know how i could make my toms sound better
"Better" is relative to what you want to achieve. In general, I always advise to tune your batter head to the pitch you want, then tune the reso head to the tone you want. IMO, most people have a clue what pitch they want if they have three or four toms, but they don't know what tone they want.

Try tuning your drums then letting someone else play them while you stand out front. You'll get a better idea how to adjust.

drummert2k

be a little more specific on what "better" is to you. do you like your toms tuned high, tuned low, dead, really open. give us an idea and we can help you with what head combinations will help make your toms sound "better"

ccrdrums

id like more of a low than a high but i try to loosen my heads then they start to ring how should i fix that

drummert2k

either a studio ring or use a thicker head. maybe a remo pinstripe or evans G2 on the top and something like a remo ambassador or evans G1 on the bottom. or even use thicker heads and use a studio ring.

Gaddabout

ccrdrums":qicc1my9 said:
id like more of a low than a high but i try to loosen my heads then they start to ring how should i fix that
Change your heads. You're probably using single-play heads (did they come with the kit?), and it sounds like you're wanting double-ply. The better the heads, the better you're going to achieve the sound you want. Don't go cheap on them.

ccrdrums

yea they did come with my kit but ive had them for 2 years and they aint broke yet so i figured id keep going but i did order some remo pinstripe biohazards the other day im waiting for them

Gaddabout

ccrdrums":1eshprdm said:
yea they did come with my kit but ive had them for 2 years and they aint broke yet so i figured id keep going but i did order some remo pinstripe biohazards the other day im waiting for them
Well there ya go. Just because it don't look broke don't mean it ain't broke. Or they say it something like that in Texas. If you're practicing 5 hours a week, you probably need to change your heads every 3 months to keep the sound good. In the studio, you buy new heads automatically. For a good regular gig, maybe you change them every month to six weeks.

Change your heads more regularly than 2 years. And never count on getting a good sound out of factory heads.

There's two great rules to live by right there. Eighty percent of your drum sound is directly related to the quality of head you put on it. That's why a low-end kit can sound better than a high-end kit with the right heads and good tuning.