How do i feel better and play longer?

LilDrummerBoy15

hey everyone. i was wondering if there is any tecniques on how to play longer and not get tired so easily.

i ahve been playing drums for about 2 years and ever sense i started my band after like one song i get tired. if i jsut keep playing without stoping then im fine but if i sop for like 5 min. im extremly tired. is there anything i should drink or any stretches or anything that will help my stamina? im in really good shape i get really tired really quick... any suggestions?

Rob the Drummer

Drink lots of water. Hydrate!

Make sure you are balanced on your seat (sitting position). Be comfortable when you play, don't reach too far for things- make your drums work for you!

Practice your stamina by doing endurance exercises.

Play relaxed and breathe properly. If your muscles are tense or you aren't breathing properly, then you will tire really fast! That also ties into posture and balance. It's very important that you remain relaxed, that way you can play the tune without thinking about how tired you are.

I have asthma and I'm fat, I've played 6 set gigs before without getting tired out!

Do you have any vids, and what style do you play?

Mongore

JOIN A GYM!

Seriously, do it. I had the same problem and after a week of going to the gym you can feel the difference.

A lot of cardio work and metabolism rising food (like chilli) is really good. Or simply go for a run 3 times a week.

It boosts your energy so much, I never get tired during a gig anymore. Also lots of water is good too, and don't eat a big meal or anything before hand.

michiganice91

Mongore":31havyrv said:
and don't eat a big meal or anything before hand.
I agree..never eat a lot before u drum..ill feel tired and want to go to sleep.

If i were a spokesman for gibraltar..my answer to not feeling so fatigued wuould be.. "buy our new gibraltar catapult peadal" lol.

MrMcFetus

When you are practicing, play until you feel like you're arms are going to fall off.
Some call it chop killing, but I call it chop building.
Maybe play a lot of punk where they have quarter notes on the snare an fast eights on the hats. Play them both fast for five minutes or so, you will feel pain, but after you get used to it you'll have chops out the ass.

BillRayDrums

You really need have your technique examined. Sounds like you are using too many large muscle groups to play. Drumming should be all about flexibility, using your limbs in such a way that allows the sticks to flow, rather than fighting them.

Post a short video so that we can see what you are doing. However, any one of us here saying "You need to do this/that/the other" holds little weight. You oughta go and take a few lessons.

While you need to develop your muscle strength and endurance, I can tell you that pushing too hard can have some very negative results. Just last year I played a gig where I pushed myself too hard with my volume and I tore something in my arm on the inside. It took about 4 months to heal. I don't know exactly what I did but I can tell you that it hurt something fierce!! And taking time off was/is NOT an option. This is how I make my living. If it hurts, I have to use it unless it won't work or falls off. Sucks, but that's my reality.

m

try eating a banana before you play. Many drummers swear by the potassium boost you get

LilDrummerBoy15

BillRayDrums":3uvogf6q said:
You really need have your technique examined. Sounds like you are using too many large muscle groups to play. Drumming should be all about flexibility, using your limbs in such a way that allows the sticks to flow, rather than fighting them.

Post a short video so that we can see what you are doing. However, any one of us here saying "You need to do this/that/the other" holds little weight. You oughta go and take a few lessons.

While you need to develop your muscle strength and endurance, I can tell you that pushing too hard can have some very negative results. Just last year I played a gig where I pushed myself too hard with my volume and I tore something in my arm on the inside. It took about 4 months to heal. I don't know exactly what I did but I can tell you that it hurt something fierce!! And taking time off was/is NOT an option. This is how I make my living. If it hurts, I have to use it unless it won't work or falls off. Sucks, but that's my reality.
im a very relaxed player its just i get really into my music and have to move... so idk. i try a differnt set up. ill put up a video tonight

cableman26

Sounds to me like your stiff I do the same thing. It's all about the nerves for me though. When I play in front of people I tense up, all my muscles tighten, and it takes a few minutes to shake it. Getting better though. That just my opinion I'm no pro or anything.

stump

I stretch my arms and legs a good bit before playing. As previously stated, also hydrate. Also take some time to get in the right frame of mind to play. Get yourself into the groove with a light practice session / warm up. Peace on ya!