How come drummers only care about brands?

EOTE_drummer

honestly does the brand make a difference? their is no best cymbal or drum, or proper way to tune. its all personal preference. if u prefer sunlites with cambers over DW's with K Customs, THEN GO FOR IT!! don't let people be dicks and tell you that your stuff sucks. i have played many CB kits that blew high end kits out of the water!!! i have 2 zildjian scimitar crashes that i primarily keep on my kit, while i have A custom's sitting over their collecting dust!! somebody prefers one brand of drums or cymbals, and so anybody who plays anything other than that is a newb! a loser! maybe some people just love music and love playing drums, but can't afford the best stuff, so they play on entry level kits from the 80's and have nameless cymbals that are little more than pressed metal. does that make you any better than them? just because ur sitting behind your 16 piece pearl masters kit surrounded by golden cymbals doesnt make you anymore of a drummer sitting behind a 4 piece CB kit with 2 camber cymbals. sometimes i am ashamed to be a percussionist because of this. i am not trying 2 make u feel bad for having nice things, just don't be dissing on people who are less fortunate than you.

Brother_Bong

EOTE_drummer":186sv4dm said:
honestly does the brand make a difference? their is no best cymbal or drum, or proper way to tune. its all personal preference. if u prefer sunlites with cambers over DW's with K Customs, THEN GO FOR IT!! don't let people be dicks and tell you that your stuff sucks. i have played many CB kits that blew high end kits out of the water!!! i have 2 zildjian scimitar crashes that i primarily keep on my kit, while i have A custom's sitting over their collecting dust!! somebody prefers one brand of drums or cymbals, and so anybody who plays anything other than that is a newb! a loser! maybe some people just love music and love playing drums, but can't afford the best stuff, so they play on entry level kits from the 80's and have nameless cymbals that are little more than pressed metal. does that make you any better than them? just because ur sitting behind your 16 piece pearl masters kit surrounded by golden cymbals doesnt make you anymore of a drummer sitting behind a 4 piece CB kit with 2 camber cymbals. sometimes i am ashamed to be a percussionist because of this. i am not trying 2 make u feel bad for having nice things, just don't be dissing on people who are less fortunate than you.
Um, you wanna sell those A-customs? I do see your point, don't get me wrong, this is what I call the Ford vs. Chevy fight. They both make good shit, and they both make low end shit, and the individual decides what they like. So anyway, what about those cymbals?

SGarrett

A lot of it has to do with professional sound from a professional player. Any good player should be able to make any kit sound good. But, put a good player behind a good kit and you've got a great sound. If you're a weekend warrior, more power to you but you have to understand that some people are levels above that and need higher quality gear.

I'm one to always tell people to play what they want not just a badge/logo. I know a guy who plays a Tama Swingstar, tunes it extremely well, and it easily sounds as good as a semi-pro level kit. It still doesn't compare to the sound of him playing a Pearl Masters, DW, Tama Starclassic, etc....which I've heard and watched him play on.

cableman26

I guess I agree, with some of what you're saying. I would never bash on anyone's kit or cymbals, that's none of my business. I just think as you progress and get better, you work hard to save up for better gear. I don't play double bass but if I did I wouldn't want a Pulse pedal. I don't like to play stock heads. And I want my cymbals to sound the way I like. Even if that means I have to get one at a time to afford them all. Most of us aren't brand whores, we just know how long it take to get your kit the way you like it, that's why we compliment the higher end kits more. Cheap kits and hardware are fine if your just starting out. There's an old saying that still rings true: You get what you pay for.

GeorgeDemise

If you're gigging on a regular basis you want to have things that sound good for a long period of time and that last well. If you're using factory heads and cheapy cymbals their not going to sound good or last long.

EOTE_drummer

SGarrett":3p02hk5s said:
If you're a weekend warrior, more power to you but you have to understand that some people are levels above that and need higher quality gear.
don't get me wrong, if ur a professional player, u should have (or deserve to have) professional quality equipment, or equipment that sounds professional. especially if ur making a living off of ur drumming.

SGarrett

EOTE_drummer":cl7hwqjp said:
SGarrett":cl7hwqjp said:
If you're a weekend warrior, more power to you but you have to understand that some people are levels above that and need higher quality gear.
don't get me wrong, if ur a professional player, u should have (or deserve to have) professional quality equipment, or equipment that sounds professional. especially if ur making a living off of ur drumming.
You already play a kit that professionals use. I play an LX, myself. :)

NG1284

I understand what you're saying, but taking it to the level of comparing cambers to A-Customs or anything of that level is a bit silly.

EOTE_drummer

well sometimes, their is a thin line between "wants" and "needs". my gf's mom is the best drummer i have ever seen. she's been playing for 25 years, and still plays on a regular basis. she use's a Dixon "Tempo" kit from the 80's. she has Zildjian Scimitar high hats and a scimitar crash. its an entry level kit, and the tom's and snare still have the original heads, and their is duck tape everywhere. i first saw it and thought "oh lord", but she started playing and i have never heard a better sounding kit in my life.

SOADRUMMER1089

Well the brand matters to a point to me i live on tama and sabian but im getting paiste hi hats just because they sound so kick ass and i also am probably going to be gettin a pearl snare drum so its really what it sounds like but so far ibve noticed sabian and tama being the best.

EOTE_drummer

SGarrett":3rfoqw6j said:
EOTE_drummer":3rfoqw6j said:
SGarrett":3rfoqw6j said:
You already play a kit that professionals use. I play an LX, myself. :)
i also have shows almost everyday. i just bought my new kit along with some cymbals a couple of months ago, after playing an early 80's (maybe 70's) swingstar for 3 years. so how do u like the LX? so far i love my MX.

Homki890

EOTE_drummer":3udzefmj said:
Uh, Camber cymbals do sound awful, no matter who plays them. And so do CB drums.

This is very different than the Ford vs. Chevy analogy. Think about it. Ford and Chevy make CARS and TRUCKS. People's lives depend on the craftsmanship of the vehicle. The difference between a Ford and Chevy is no more than Color and a Logo. In this case, picking one and poo-poohing on others does make no sense.

Not so for Drums.

Each company has a different philosophy and manufacturing process to their drums. Pearl has their Heat Compression, Sabian has their Hand Hammered, Axis has their Long Boards, but it is all different and unique to their brands. I prefer Premier and Mapex drums. Why? I like their sound. Their shells are extremely sturdy, and I think are some of the best made drums out there, specially the Orion series and the Artist series. CB Drums are poorly made and just plain don't sound good. Camber cymbals dent after the second hit.

I'm not saying that drummers that play on poor equipment are bad, nor will I tell them that they suck because their stuff sucks. I'm saying that the brand DOES matter, and HAS a major impact in a players style. If it didn't matter, then why are their so many different sounding drummers out there? And if it didn't matter, why do I see no professional players play with Camber or CB? It's because other brands are better, pure and simple.

Homki890

SGarrett

EOTE_drummer":17i6538c said:
well sometimes, their is a thin line between "wants" and "needs". my gf's mom is the best drummer i have ever seen. she's been playing for 25 years, and still plays on a regular basis. she use's a Dixon "Tempo" kit from the 80's. she has Zildjian Scimitar high hats and a scimitar crash. its an entry level kit, and the tom's and snare still have the original heads, and their is duck tape everywhere. i first saw it and thought "oh lord", but she started playing and i have never heard a better sounding kit in my life.
You weren't hearing the drums. You were hearing the player. Put someone with three years experience on them and they won't sound anywhere near as good because the less experienced player won't be able to draw the sound out.

EOTE_drummer":17i6538c said:
i also have shows almost everyday. i just bought my new kit along with some cymbals a couple of months ago, after playing an early 80's (maybe 70's) swingstar for 3 years. so how do u like the LX? so far i love my MX.
It's a great kit for the price and has served me well over the past three years. Just about everyone who's seen and heard it compliments it. Can't stand the stock heads though. The first thing I did was replace them all with Aquarian heads and the sound drastically improved. I use Coated Response 2 and clear Hi-Frequency for the toms, Classic Coated and Hi-Performance for the snare, and SuperKickII and Regulator w/2.5" offset port for the kick.

dave lynch

I wasn't going to touch this one but I decided that I need to add...yeah the most important thing is how you play and not what you play on..I've heard many drum sounds that suck, but what the drummer does makes it happen..We're seeing and hearing this big time with electronic drum tracks used in a studio..I will add that that's used all over in different types of music...Uuuuck..That being said..You don't need to down grade yourself and others shouldn't eather for the kit you're playin on, but never the less it's only fair to let folks that work hard for their sound and are always lookin for something better to continue to do that..it's only up to you if you down yourself for what you're playin on..F everyone else that puts you down for that !!

screamkevin

I don't use it as an insulting thing, I think it's a personal thing, and a common sense thing. You can put Dennis Chambers behind a CB kit, and it won't begin to sound as good as his Pearl kit. A Groove Percussion kit just plain won't sound as good as a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, a Pearl Masters, DW, or Tama Starclassics. That's just the way it is. As SGarrett said, when you hear someone really rocking out on the CBs or Groove Percussion kits, you're hearing the drummer kick ass, not the drums. Ask any sound engineer or studio engineer. They'll set you straight but quick. And for the most part, the adage is true...you do get what you pay for.

pepperspray

There are a lot of dudes out there that are "gear Heads" that have the
money and just go for the Big Brands, expensive snares, expensive drum
cases, rack systems, etc.

for me it's more of a thing where if I'm going to pay the money for
something of quality, I'll go for a brand I know is going to last for a while, which
ends up being a bigger brand name. But when i buy something, I use the crap out
of it, til it can't stand anymore or no more tape can hold it together.

smirnoff180

i believe all the brand shows off is the amount of money you are willing to put into ur set. its all the same...personally i think pear is overrated......
but thats just me