How close do you sit to your drums?

iatemygoat

im a personal fan of being as close as possible to my drums and my legs are pretty much 90 degrees to by pedals. Im practically straddling my snare haha. i always get comments about how i sit super close to my kit. I think it helps with my pedal speed.

where do you position yourself? cuz ive seen some people play WAAAAAAAAAAY far away from their kits.

m

I sit close and my kit is generally packed pretty tight, but I don't like the pedals right under me- I usually scoot the bass out front a bit so I can stretch my legs a little. I think a 90% angle would cramp me a bit.

Scott_Hurford

My kit is pretty spaced out, i sit about half a foot away from my snare, and i have my feet on the pedals at about a 90 degree angle too. I like things spaced out :)

FelterSkelter

My kit is usually as tight as I can get it. Lately I have been giving myself about 6-12 inches between me and my snare so I can lay down a solid rimshot.

i dont like my snare being really close, but the rest of the mounted toms i like the closest as possible. But the floor toms i kind of like away. My cymbals are high, so the place of the drums isnt a Huge factory.

anavrinIV

i sit at least 6 inces away from my snare and i hate being on top of my pedals because i feel cramped. my stuff is fairly tight around me for ease of motion but i cant be right on top of it.

iatemygoat

im a big fan of being right over all of my stuff. my cymbals are waaay low too. but my floor tom is spaced about a little over a foot from my snare to give my stick room when i do gravity blasts. i still cant do em left handed like that damned Marco Pitruzzella.

so for the most part its pretty cramped in my little area.

TrunJun

i sit farther away because i use flatfoot technique for extreme fast double bass, and sitting further away also helps me with gravity blasting more clean (Grindstix 1as are amazing).

different strokes for different folks.

myspace.com/frombeneaththevolcano

xdoseonex

i like to be right on top of the pedals because i can play faster like that. with more power. i also like to be close to my drums because when your playing death metal you should always be trying to keep your arms close you your body to minimilize motion and prevent lactic acids from building up in your muscles.
However i'm learning the heel toe techique right now and i cant do it when im right up on top of the pedals. i hate the idea of scooting back just to use a different foot technique.

stump

I sit pretty close to my kit. I also have my throne positioned to where my legs around 90 degrees to my pedals. I agree that it helps with comfort and keeps your legs from getting tired to quickly.

Brazilian Drummer

I used to sit realy close to my drums but I've migrade a little from my snare lately, if jsut fells more confortable to me, but my drums are pretty close to themselvs, my snare is right under my tomsand I try t push my bass out a little so my leg is more relaxed.

whem I played with only a single pedal I was closer cause I felt that that way I could play faster, but now that Ive been playing with a duble bass pedal I have been siting a little further away form the drum, I would say abou 6-8 inches fom my snare, as for my cymblas, I try to keep the splashed, and stacks close to the toms so I dont have to work realy hard to hit them, and the crashes I get them to a hight that fells confortable, I adont have to fully extend my arm to hit them, but are still far anough away that they wont get in the way

vahnn

I'm generally pretty far from my kit, probably 6-10 inches from my snare, with my toms about a full-arm's length. My cymbals overlap my toms by about half, and they're about shoulder-height, while my toms are between my belly and chest. I usually hit my snare with my wrist/hand held like you would casting a fishing lure, or when you'd shake someone's hand, rather than palm down like i see 80% of drummers. I don't know why.

iatemygoat":hrpr3uzz said:
gravity blasts.
What the hell are those?

loosesticks

i sit right up to my snare being as i'm kinda short . the main thing is you hit your drums in the center of the skins , i put my floor tom a fair distance away to accomplish this . i keep my cymbles low , check out my kit in the show your kit section.. keep on drummin

MrMcFetus

iatemygoat":1yfpdd9g said:
im a personal fan of being as close as possible to my drums and my legs are pretty much 90 degrees to by pedals. Im practically straddling my snare haha. i always get comments about how i sit super close to my kit. I think it helps with my pedal speed.

where do you position yourself? cuz ive seen some people play WAAAAAAAAAAY far away from their kits.

That's pretty much how I sit, my snare close to me turns me on...

MikeRowland

I sat right on top of my snare until a few months ago. I broke the pointer finger on my right hand on my snare drum hoop. Had to play two gigs that next weekend with my finger pointed straight out, so had to move back a bit. The very next gig after my finger healed, I smacked it again, so now I sit back for good. Took a little getting used to, but I find I have to sit up straighter and I actually have a bit more control. Best of all, no more finger smashing!

TrunJun

xdoseonex":3mnnzf6n said:
i like to be right on top of the pedals because i can play faster like that. with more power. i also like to be close to my drums because when your playing death metal you should always be trying to keep your arms close you your body to minimilize motion and prevent lactic acids from building up in your muscles.
However i'm learning the heel toe techique right now and i cant do it when im right up on top of the pedals. i hate the idea of scooting back just to use a different foot technique.
you shouldnt use heel toes, stroking out all the notes will make you sound cleaner. doing heel toe gives you the same sound as if you were to double stroke on your toms and such for fills instead of singling them out and making them clean and being able to control dynamics. should really look into flat foot, but this isnt a "flat foot vs heel toe" post so i guess im going to start a new topic about that and stop ranting here :evil: :evil:

keep it brootuhl

TrunJun

drumsforlife

vahnn":1yxgpn8g said:
I'm generally pretty far from my kit, probably 6-10 inches from my snare, with my toms about a full-arm's length. My cymbals overlap my toms by about half, and they're about shoulder-height, while my toms are between my belly and chest. I usually hit my snare with my wrist/hand held like you would casting a fishing lure, or when you'd shake someone's hand, rather than palm down like i see 80% of drummers. I don't know why.

iatemygoat":1yxgpn8g said:
gravity blasts.
What the hell are those?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6lB_6FNRw

Check out that video...

andybfrank

I arrange everything so that the beads of my sticks reach the center of the head comfortably. I'm pretty short, so everything winds up being very close and tight. The snare sits right between my legs. I also like to play almost right on top of the pedals.