Home Recording

wolfendenstate

I need some advice.
After reading an issue of Rhythm magazine a few months back with recording tips I decided to start looking for the types of mics I need and basically get some cheap ones.
After searching online I've found what I need and at a reasonable price, I intend to use:

two T-Bone SC300 large diaphragm mics
T-Bone BD200 for the bass drum
Shure SM58 to mic up the snare

Judging by the CD supplied with Rhythm this should be enough to get a drum sound for my needs.
I already have a 5 channel PA mixer which I can hook up to my computer and can succcessfully record with.
Now I have two questions.
Has any one used T-Bone mics? I did a little bit of research and it seems they're good for beginner level recording, but before I part with any cash I thought it was worth asking round here.
Also
On one site I read that the T-Bone SC300's need to be powered. How will I know if my PA mixer can power them? If it can't I looked at Phantom Power supplies on the site, but it confused the heck out of me, how will I know which one to buy?

Also any other tips and advice are very welcome.
Thanks.

Eiren

I use V-Drums, record the midi output, and then I edit using BDF Deluxe (massive 55gb library sample of drum sounds recorded by Steve Albini), and assign pretty much any sound I want to the midi notes.

Works a treat and is relatively inexpensive, and I can also record with headphones on and it being fairly silent (doesn't piss off my neighbours!).

I know this is not relevant to the questions you directly asked, but it's an alternative!

pianistfingers

FYI, go for a SM57 on the snare. It costs exactly the same, but is more of an instrument-oriented microphone. The SM58 is better for vocals.

I assume that the TC mics are condenser mics if they need to be powered. Since your PA doesnt have a phantom power button, you will need a power supply. All the power supply does is take in a microphone cable and send it to a mixer. Its basically a battery pack for the condenser microphone. Many phantom power boxes also offer a little bit of volume control.

scrubs

Yes, you can record drums with 4 mics and it will work just fine. 2 overheads, snare, and kick is a pretty standard for a minimal drum setup and I use it quite frequently myself. I have no experience with the T-Bone mics, as that brand is only available in Europe, AFAIK. However, most of the T-bone mics I've seen on the net are similar to other models and they all come out of the same handful of factories in China and are rebranded. As with anything, some of them will probably be ok and some will not; most will have some sort of use for something. You can't really say definitively that a brand is "good" or "bad."

Those SC300 appear to be a copy of the Shure KSM 27/32 style mics, and the BD200 looks like a copy of the Shure Beta 52. The Shure mics are solid values, but there is no guarantee that the T-Bone versions will be as good.

You need to find out if your PA mixer has Phantom Power. If it does, there would be a switch on it somewhere that says "Phantom Power." If not, just get a 2 channel phantom-power unit that supplies +48V. Generally, I would not recommend using this type of mixer for recording, but if it's all you have...

You might want to consider getting a soundcard for your computer with more inputs, so you could put each mic onto a separate track while recording.

thompsonsa

You can get some inexpensive mikes that will do a nice job for you. Having said that, once you try better grade mikes, you will really hear the difference and likely pull out the credit card ;)

I have Nady DMK... they really sound great for what I need... live performances and to be able to track recordings on my home studio. I have the 3 pack... 2 x DM70's and a DM80. The DM80 is for the kick, but after I used an AKG D112, I pulled out the credit card... the difference was huge... I moved the DM80 to the floor tom and it does a great job there...

I had an SM57 for the snare.. which is a great mike all in all... I found an AKG D220 on sale for $30 and got that for the snare and I actually like it better...

So I close mike every drum, and use an overhead which is an inexpensive condenser mike... it is an Audio Technica AT2020 which came with a Firepod... I plan to purchase some better overhead mikes.. So I use PreSonus FirePod and Adobe Audition 2.0 and Sonar 6...

So all in all, I have invested around $220 in mikes and am pleased with the sounds... The D112 was on Ebay, so if you shop hard you find some deals...

I am no way an engineer and just starting to learn how quickly you can screw stuff up...

There are some videos on Youtube recorded with this rig

www.youtube.com/scott9449

and a live song recorded on my laptop last week... "Live at the Ritz" on my Myspace page

www.myspace.com/scott9449