Holes in Hi Hats?

minimatt7

k im not really sure what this does so can someone tell me? someone at guitar center told me that it kinda gets rid of "tone" or

the "voice" of the hi hats and i know the holes in the bottom of hi hats is so more air gets out but i dont know what it does. so

yea if someone could tell me what this does that would be great.

SmellsLikeIan

minimatt7":9qjpkisw said:
k im not really sure what this does so can someone tell me? someone at guitar center told me that it kinda gets rid of "tone" or

the "voice" of the hi hats and i know the holes in the bottom of hi hats is so more air gets out but i dont know what it does. so

yea if someone could tell me what this does that would be great.
Venting lets air escape. I don't know about "getting rid of the tone" but IMHO my 15 inch vented hi hats sound bad ass.

minimatt7

yea but thats kiwhat i mean like i want to know what they would sound like vented but i dont want to go and cut holes in my a custom hi hats if ya know what i mean

Johnny Cat

Vented hats also tend to have a distinctly clearer "chick" sound when you close them with your foot, due to the air escaping.

OnusPro

Johnny Cat":324svwyq said:
Vented hats also tend to have a distinctly clearer "chick" sound when you close them with your foot, due to the air escaping.
You can get the same result on a bottom cymbal with no holes by tilting it a little to counter "air-lock". Works the same for me. I own a set of 14" Quick Beats and a set of 13" K/Z combos.

minimatt7

yea i went to guitar center again and i played on some with holes and i kinda like the sound and i was thinking on putting holes in my bottom hats but what is the cheapest way cause i dont feel like having it done proffesionally and how big should i cut them?

Empyrean Drums

minimatt7":3r1y7omj said:
yea i went to guitar center again and i played on some with holes and i kinda like the sound and i was thinking on putting holes in my bottom hats but what is the cheapest way cause i dont feel like having it done proffesionally and how big should i cut them?
A drill press with quality bits would be the tool to use. Using a hand drill can oblong the holes and you risk tearing and bending the cymbal. Get some scap sheet metal or a CHEAP cymbal to practice on.
I'd chamfer the holes too

OnusPro

minimatt7":17e9cebg said:
I can't advise you to do it yourself. You could seriously eff up your cymbal if you don't know what you're doing, simply because of the craftsmanship and metallurgy involved. I can only tell you to have an experienced metal worker take a look at it and see what can be done. Drill bits can generate cracks or, even worse, influence the temper of the cymbal (from the heat generated by spinning), which in turn messes up the sound and/or makes it brittle. You be better advised to just buy one with holes, or have it professionally done whichever is more cost-effective for you. Until then, tilt your bottom cymbal a bit and it will help with air-lock and get you a crisper sound. I've had nothing but bad experiences trying to drill my own cymbals, if nothing else because I didn't have the knowledge or experience to do it correctly.

Empyrean Drums

It can be done, but it's not as simple as grabbin' the 12V cordless and jammin' holes in it with some multi-purpose drill bit

Johnny Cat

OnusPro":1mg1z6yb said:
Johnny Cat":1mg1z6yb said:
You can get the same result on a bottom cymbal with no holes by tilting it a little to counter "air-lock". Works the same for me. I own a set of 14" Quick Beats and a set of 13" K/Z combos.
True, but it doesn't work as well in my opinion. They still close with air trapped inside, no matter how much you angle them. I've been able to compared the two methods. Years ago I had an old set of Sabian B8 Pro Medium hats that I used to tilt. Then I sent them to Sabian to get them drilled. They did it free of charge. When I got them back they sounded much better than they did when I was just tilting them on the stand.

But it doesn't matter because those were old hats and I've since moved on to Paiste Signature Sound Edge hats. :)

minimatt7

yea ok well ive kinda decided to leave my hats the way they are.....i have a quick off topic question tho k i have a 7000 dw double pedal but i only need single is taking the left pedal like the same as the acual 7000 dw single pedal?

xdoseonex

uless its a lefty pedal the right one wod be the main pedal. but yes, if you take the slave side off your pedal you'll have a single pedal

Ok here’s the deal. When holes are put on your bottom hats, it’s only to allow air to escape at a faster rate.
It also gets rid of that cupped sound or air pocket sound so your closed hat position is crispy. If you want to have a crispy sound from your hats drill or buy them that way. Having the holes will not affect your open tone. If you play with 15" hats like I do, it works great. For me it allows more dynamic control open or closed hat. If your thinking about getting hats with holes, just wait a sec and ask yourself what kind of drummer you want to be. If your going to be a well-rounded drummer, make sure your hats meet all needs. Best thing I can recommend is to listen to your favorite records and do some research, you will always find who played what. Good Luck

P.S.
Make sure your hats work well with your ride tone. Its a combo thing.

Eduardo L.
Independent Drummer

downshifter99

Your ride does not have to match your hi-hats...I have a Sabian AA rock ride with AA sizzle hats(they are not similar in tone)that only applies in jazz,country,ect...
I know a lot of drummers who don't match their rides/hi-hats...it's all in personal preference.

Anyhow,I personally prefer holes in my bottom hi-hats...when I was dealing with Zildjians I played 15" Quick-beats(flat bottom cymbal with 4 holes)but,since I'm dealing with Sabian(best cymbal on the planet...my opinion)I use 14" AA Sizzle hats...they have 2 holes on the bottom cup(just like the Fusion hats)but,also with 4 sets of 2 rivets so from slightly open to wide open the sizzles are activated and it gives you a full sound without having to beat the hell out of them to get the volume(listen to Sean Kinney of Alicein Chains...that's what he uses but,the "rock sizzle hats"...heavier top hi hat)and also(Black Sabbath).

With most hi hats when you close them fast/hard you will here a bending note...that is the air beingtrapped in-between them.

Yes,you can adjust the bottom hi-hat tilter(if your hi-hat stand has one)to do away with some of this problem but,I personally like my hi-hats even.

Cheers and good luck.

FelterSkelter

downshifter99":13itmhra said:
Your ride does not have to match your hi-hats...I have a Sabian AA rock ride with AA sizzle hats(they are not similar in tone)that only applies in jazz,country,ect...
I know a lot of drummers who don't match their rides/hi-hats...it's all in personal preference.

Anyhow,I personally prefer holes in my bottom hi-hats...when I was dealing with Zildjians I played 15" Quick-beats(flat bottom cymbal with 4 holes)but,since I'm dealing with Sabian(best cymbal on the planet...my opinion)I use 14" AA Sizzle hats...they have 2 holes on the bottom cup(just like the Fusion hats)but,also with 4 sets of 2 rivets so from slightly open to wide open the sizzles are activated and it gives you a full sound without having to beat the hell out of them to get the volume(listen to Sean Kinney of Alicein Chains...that's what he uses but,the "rock sizzle hats"...heavier top hi hat)and also(Black Sabbath).

With most hi hats when you close them fast/hard you will here a bending note...that is the air beingtrapped in-between them.

Yes,you can adjust the bottom hi-hat tilter(if your hi-hat stand has one)to do away with some of this problem but,I personally like my hi-hats even.

Cheers and good luck.
Best Highhat award in my opinion. I like my hats to carry on a little. AA Sizzle Hats are dirty. I don't really play jazz but I tend to like darker cymbals because I don't like the way it sounds when rides are too defined and crashes decay immediately. I like lots of "wash" in everything.

skitch

minimatt7":yt3h5emu said:
yea but thats kiwhat i mean like i want to know what they would sound like vented but i dont want to go and cut holes in my a custom hi hats if ya know what i mean
It is to help prevent airlock when the hi hats are closed. Airlock is that pocket of air which gets "locked" indie the hi hats and thus makes for an ugly, hollow sound, not a nice chick sound.

mattcore

Im guessing it would have the same effect as the rivets on the botom hat of the zildjian mastersound high hats.