Holding The Sticks Correctly

madchops

I've had alot of students, some that have taken lessons from other teachers and I've found that 80% of them hold their sticks wrong. The stick is often gripped by the forefinger, which I believe to be wrong. The balance point should be in the first fulcrum of the middle finger, with the forefinger draping over. That way the other fingers act as a pulley. Check out what Freddy Gruber has to say about this and let me know what y'all think. Check out my vids on myspace.

Hamlin

There are so many ways to hold a stick. As long as they're consistant it doesn't matter (to me,) unless they do the teacup thing, or if there's a more ergonomic way to hold the stick for what they're trying to play.

xdoseonex

your stick should be griped between your thumb and index finger. and you should be using your other 3 fingers to bounce the stick back and fourth

llllarry

xdoseonex":g74anejm said:
your stick should be griped between your thumb and index finger. and you should be using your other 3 fingers to bounce the stick back and fourth
That is what I have always gone by, but Hamlin is right about all the different ways.

drummert2k

theres many right ways to hold the sticks but not one single "right way". theres many techniques out there will all differant grips. i use the middle finger folcrum a ton but i also am a big moeller player so thats just where i get the most power from the free stroke. when im playing faster more intricate also corps style rudimental stuff, then i tend to folcrum at the index finger. so i guess its what feels good for you what gets the job done for the techniques you use. but yeah, stay away from the tea cup pinky. that just looks dumb.

antzpantz1234

there is no wrong way to hold a stick
you can hold a stick however you want aslong as it feels natural. i got taught a way but have now addapted a new way that just feels natuarl for me and works well

Potatoe Snack

i had a drum teacher (wont say his name) that taught me to grab the sticks with all four of my fingers. kind of like like holding a bat. needless to say, he doesn't get any money from me anymore.

cooldevil28

well guyz i know there are lots of ways holding the sticks.. but can someone who knows a lot tell about different ways of holding which usually goes with the genre... for example i bliv in technical brutal death metal stuff therez no room for actually holding the stuff fully itz more like just balancing the sticks and the rest is on bounce.... but for other slower genres there are different styles and then therez prog rock wich requires power... all in all would someone actually write something more useful??? thnx:D

kylevater

pictures please?!?!?!
i have no idea what you guys are talking about when i hear, "the fulcrum of the middle finger"
lmao sorry for being stupid

iatemygoat

Potatoe Snack":1c1kkanc said:
i had a drum teacher (wont say his name) that taught me to grab the sticks with all four of my fingers. kind of like like holding a bat. needless to say, he doesn't get any money from me anymore.
dude, watch a video of roddy and tell me hes not using all of his fingers. it looks like hes using all wrist. its insane! ive always tried my best to keep every finger touching the stick.

also i believe there are right and wrong ways of holding sticks. for example the tea cup grip. your going to get nowhere with that.

Rob Crisp

I switch grips a lot.

For jazz I tend to play trad on the left and matched/right hand is usualy fulcrum between the thumb and middle joint of index finger. Sometimes I use the index as a guide and have the fulcrum between the thumb and middle finger second nuckle.

I try and keep my other fingers around the stick for finger strokes, but not held tight like a fist.

My only belief is that you have to hold the stick loosely enough for it to move freely and respond but firm enough to keep hold of it.

Hold too tightly and you'll destroy heads, sticks and cymbals, not to mention your wrists.