Hitting my sticks!

JakyltheRipper

New member
Ok so i have this really amatuer problem. When im doing rolls or fills, i often bang my sticks together! Idk why i keep doing it! Most of the time it doesnt even effect the actual fill itself, i can finish just fine, it just makes a really ugly clacking sound thats very noticable! Has anyone else ever had a problem with hitting their sticks together while playing? Are there any exercises or techniques i can do to make it stop?
 

drummert2k

New member
thrace the outside of a soda bottle cap on your drum pad and play target practice. when you play focus on playing inside the circle. all you gotta do is gain a little more control over your stick movement and you'll be golden. and focusing on a small playing zone and practicing it will greatly help you with this problem.
 

Rockula!

New member
When I took lessons for a month, my instructor showed me a great excercise
Using the normal warmup rudiment excercises involving the traditional graduation of "single stroke/double stroke triple stroke etc..." but use it around the whole kit
For example, on a 5 piece it would be
snare
1st tom
2nd tom
floor tom
Go around for a while until you graduate to the next series of strokes
Now, graduate up to skipping toms
snare
2nd tom
1st tom
floor tom

Invent all sorts of different combinations
After a while, your hands will learn how to stay out of each other's way
 

phil-drummer

New member
play the fill slower, even if u know the fill like the back off your hand in your hand no ones perfect. or , like me , if your not very tall try setting ur toms a little lower . worked for me :)
 

dougthedrummer

New member
Not had much of a problem with "smacking sticks",but I have smacked my ear a bunch of times..lol.That sound is very noticeable to!!
 
JakyltheRipper":3fj5fu5t said:
Ok so i have this really amatuer problem. When im doing rolls or fills, i often bang my sticks together! Idk why i keep doing it! Most of the time it doesnt even effect the actual fill itself, i can finish just fine, it just makes a really ugly clacking sound thats very noticable! Has anyone else ever had a problem with hitting their sticks together while playing? Are there any exercises or techniques i can do to make it stop?
i used to have that problem big time and its really irritating because the sound it makes while your trying to get really into the moment and it just ruins everything. i cant say i did any particular exercise to make it stop but i can say that the problem started to happen less n less often when i
1). joined a band that played really fast music
2). bought a yamaha digital kit. the pads are quite small.

so all i can recomend you do is maybe set yourself small targets and slowly work up to doing fills as fast and complex as you can (like crossing over n all that stuff). also maybe try changing the positioning of your toms also maybe theyre too slanted (slayer style) and your hands just doesnt like it or the other way round. come to think of it i havent hit my sticks together while doing fills for a very long time now..... you dont notice when your not doing it but when you do it you feel it right to the bone i know lol.
 

quikstang2

New member
nickbaldwin":vk66mej5 said:
Eiren":vk66mej5 said:
Massive magnets on each stick with different polarities?
Technically they'd have to be the same polarity, otherwise the sticks would stay together.

:)
Magnets don't come in separate polarities. Every magnet has both. (That's about all I learned this entire semester of Physics, and it wasn't on the test.)

So just make sure you keep the same polarities facing each other.
 

seandude

New member
well just go from snare to 1 tom 2 floor then back to 2 then 1 then snare and repeat that START SLOW and get faster to get a better "target"practice
 

PatternsInTheIvy

New member
dougthedrummer":2inkjwrq said:
Not had much of a problem with "smacking sticks",but I have smacked my ear a bunch of times..lol.That sound is very noticeable to!!
Im sure the dynamic of an piercing scream always livens up the fill right?


Also, like most other said, just on smaller targets. You might also want to make sure that you are holding your sticks in the correct way most of the time. Form a triangle with your sticks. Nothing perfect that always needs to be taken into account, but once you have the triangle, it helps with all sorts of more amateure problems.
 

WhiteOleander

New member
dougthedrummer":3f3jwidu said:
Not had much of a problem with "smacking sticks",but I have smacked my ear a bunch of times..lol.That sound is very noticeable to!!
haha yea I frequently whack myself in the eye, nose or forehead.. man now that I think about it, my sticks are all over the place o.0
 

Eiren

New member
nickbaldwin":1a74h8l5 said:
Eiren":1a74h8l5 said:
Massive magnets on each stick with different polarities?
Technically they'd have to be the same polarity, otherwise the sticks would stay together.

:)
Good point! I shall engage my brain next time.
 

stump

New member
PRACTICE!!! Concentrate on where you are striking. A perfect example is Neil Peart. If you watch him play you will notice that he looks at every drum and cymbal that he strikes. I noticed this years ago and started paying close attention to where I was going with my sticks. It works like a charm. Try it and you will be surprised.
 

WhiteOleander

New member
stump":10nsrbla said:
PRACTICE!!! Concentrate on where you are striking. A perfect example is Neil Peart. If you watch him play you will notice that he looks at every drum and cymbal that he strikes. I noticed this years ago and started paying close attention to where I was going with my sticks. It works like a charm. Try it and you will be surprised.
I must be crosseyed or something because I still hit my sticks together =p
 
dougthedrummer":2kk9iy7i said:
Not had much of a problem with "smacking sticks",but I have smacked my ear a bunch of times..lol.That sound is very noticeable to!!
lol you know i used to do that aswell... like smack the back of your ear on the way down for a strike when getting a little carried away? lol I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!! lol for some reason as much as it used to hurt like hell it brings back some fun memories aswell, glad i dont do it anymore though lol!!
 

stump

New member
WhiteOleander":13uzdomg said:
stump":13uzdomg said:
PRACTICE!!! Concentrate on where you are striking. A perfect example is Neil Peart. If you watch him play you will notice that he looks at every drum and cymbal that he strikes. I noticed this years ago and started paying close attention to where I was going with my sticks. It works like a charm. Try it and you will be surprised.
I must be crosseyed or something because I still hit my sticks together =p
Confusious say "Go to eye doctor!" :lol:
 
Top