Hitch-hikers thumb?

mattcore

While watching Jojo Mayers dvd today I noticed that he dosn't have hitch-hikers thumb and I do, and it was making my attempts at his techniques somewhat difficult. So i began to wonder if there were any pros and cons to having hitch-hikers thumb. What do you guys think? Do any of you have hitch-hikers thumb?

SGarrett

You mean the grip like you're about to club a baby seal? You don't have anywhere near as much control of the sticks and it can actually lead to wrist damage.

FiestyRedDrummEr

Hitch Hikers thumb just means you have a recessive trait in your DNA. It shouldn't effect your technique. I have it too. My technique has never suffered.

drumshark

I think i have hitch hikers thumb, and my technique doesnt suffer as far as i know. But just so i know that hitch hikers thumb is what i think it is, its when your first thumb joint can bend back fairly far, almost 90 degrees right?[/img]

SGarrett

To me, it's the grip where you're basically making a fist around the stick, squeezing really tightly, with your thumb extended all the way out.

EOTE_drummer

SGarrett":1cve5xr5 said:
To me, it's the grip where you're basically making a fist around the stick, squeezing really tightly, with your thumb extended all the way out.
what they are talking about has nothing to do with drum grip.

if you hold your thumb straight up like you would any finger straight, if the top joint of your thumb curves back, then you have hitch hikers thumb

SGarrett

EOTE_drummer":3uu4lak9 said:
SGarrett":3uu4lak9 said:

if you hold your thumb straight up like you would any finger straight, if the top joint of your thumb curves back, then you have hitch hikers thumb
I've never heard that phrase to describe that before.

EOTE_drummer

SGarrett":3jnitp52 said:
EOTE_drummer":3jnitp52 said:
SGarrett":3jnitp52 said:

well, now you have! :wink:

BillRayDrums

I have hitchhiker's thumb apparently.
I never knew this. I feel so....so.....so.......deformed!

WHY DID I HAVE TO LEARN THIS ON A DRUMMING FORUM?

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

m

Yeah, I was wondering that too, couldn't really tell which was me.

I'm going to dub the 'in-between' stage Borat Thumb:

SGarrett

EOTE_drummer":14gmz1nx said:
SGarrett":14gmz1nx said:
EOTE_drummer":14gmz1nx said:
SGarrett":14gmz1nx said:

well, now you have! :wink:
Aye. And now my original comment is completely and utterly wrong. :D