highhat combinations (different bottom and top hats)

slingerland66

im not sure if im odd or creative, but i use 14 inch highhats zildjian A custom master sound bottom, and zildjian A new beat top hats.

Anyone else combo their hats? cuz let me tell you, my combo is SWEET. its soo bright yet dark at the same time and washy.

skdrummer

people do that a lot, ive seen someone use a china with a crash as a hihat. some places even sell zildjian k top and z dyno beat bottom together (k/z hi hat)
and zildjian a/z
sry to burst ur bubble, but its very common

Scott_Hurford

hi-hat combo's are very common these days, but they also give almost limitlus combination on the sound u can achieve.

I personally like the 14" Avedis Zildjian Quick Beat bottom and the 14" Avedis Zildjian New Beat top

Daneman

Used to pair a 13" K top with a Quick Beat bottom. Sounded like Quickbeats except darker.

Also, on occassion I've also paired hats of different sizes- 13" top/14" bottom, or even 14"/15" combo. Max Roach and Kenny Clarke, two of the early bop pioneers, played their hats in this combination quite frequently.

Bono

zerodogma

14" --- Saluda Mist-X on bottom and Saluda Diamond on top. Perfect for live shows but would probably need a different setup for recording... this one is a bit on the "loud and bright" side. I haven't tried recording with them, so this is just a guess for now :wink:

break the prism

one time i was playing with a jazz band and i needed some really light, washy hi hats so i put my two thin paiste crashes together (signature mellow for the bottom, signature fast for the top). it sounded beautiful.