Hi-Hat foot technique

Shalaq

Which technique do you play on the hi-hat?
When I play soft, jazzy or swing tunes I play heel down, because my other leg goes heel down. In rock etc I use heel up to get more power and to get sharper splashes. I also incorporate a lot of heel-toe on the hi-hat to get that "splash-chick" sound and have my hands free to play the ride or toms. What do you guys use?

BillRayDrums

Generally on the bal of my foot (heel up) but I do lots of splashes and stuff. I don't play a double bass pedal so I try and incorporate lots of rhythmic textures on my hi hat when applicable.

~B

m

I find that it varies, like with bass pedal technique; depends on what's going on overall. Usually heel-down, but for pumping some fast 8ths (a la Budgie) sometimes I'll lift my whole leg.

Rob the Drummer

It varies with me. For more control I play with heel down. Sometimes I do a combination with heel up and heel down when I do hat "crashes" with the foot. Anytime I'm not playing directly on the hats, the foot is goin on the hats. As a matter of fact, I feel awkward not using the foot on the hats when I'm riding or anything else.

wolfsburg6674

im usually on the ball of my foot heel up but lately ive been playing with the arch of my foot on hi-hat and bass...its kinda a balance....im still getting used to it...

quikstang2

Since I'm almost always playing double bass I just set it where I want it and leave it alone.

When I'm not doing double bass I'll play heel down (I play everything heel down because my first drum teacher made me and I never broke the habbit). Even then I'm usually just holding the cymbals at a certain distance or closed. I usually only actually play them when I'm counting time in during breaks in the music so everyone in the band knows where we are.

Exzilibus

I mainly use heel up for regular use.

Other than that I change my technique for whenever I want to play double bass but with open/closed hi-hat stuff on top. I have my hi-hat pedal & slave bass pedal so close that they're almost touching...that way I can control the hi-hat with the ball of my foot and control the slave pedal with the heel of my foot.

Animal

Usually I play with my toes (heel up).
I use left leg very actively, as I stamp 8-notes almost all the time while I play. Gives a good reference to a steady beat, I think.

Somtimes I may play heel down, but only to rest the leg ocationally! :p

Beej

fas-tedz":1pfi2xze said:
I play mostly rock, so always heel up, toe down. If i do play very quietly, I may plant the heel.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Agree wholeheartedly.

Rob Crisp

I mix it up.

Generally I'll play heel up for a decent tight "chick" for keeping time etc. If I want a splash then heel down but sometimes for really aggressive splashing, whole foot just off the pedal and then heel lands first, splashing hats as leg comes down.

LadyThunder

m":1x3yvhcq said:
I find that it varies, like with bass pedal technique; depends on what's going on overall. Usually heel-down, but for pumping some fast 8ths (a la Budgie) sometimes I'll lift my whole leg.
I do pretty much the same... I play heel-down mostly, but in the heavier parts i'll lift my whole leg. It definately does help with time.

break the prism

i play a heel-toe style on the hi-hat. i get a lot more dynamic contrasts and it allows me to play double bass while opening and closing my hi-hat. a nifty little trick to throw in my repetoire