hi-hat advice

he everyone im looking into buying a new hi-hat coz the one i have at the moment is just not good (zildjian titanium lol). it just sounds horrible open n drowns everything out so im looking for a hi hat that sounds really nice while sort of semi open but ofcourse closed is important too. at the moment im using my hi hat live i darent play it open coz it just sounds too loud n nasty but im using closed on grooves n beats that need it open n it sounds wrong so any advice would be cool. im a fan of mike portnoys hi hat sound so anything like that....... :?:

scrubs

I think portnoy uses sabian aax (14") as his primary hats. However, you really can't go wrong with a good set of new beats. They're probably the most played/recorded hihats in history.

sp4zium

get holes drilled in the bottom high-hat. you can do it yourself... which usually results in cracking the high-hat, or you can take em to a shop and they do it for you sometimes. makes a great sound.

HEVY KEVY

I am playing the same new beats and rock 21" I started with in 1980. All my crashes come and go...javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Wink

downshifter99

Stankronch":2m1xkh9q said:
And the blind lead the blind. Go out and experiment for yourself on what suits you best, ya big crybaby.
I agree with that but,a crybaby?...I think not.He's trying to see what other people would suggest/what they play on.

Anyhow,My Sabian AA Sizzle hats have two holes drilled in the bottom cup(like the Fusion hats)and 4 sets of 2 rivets in the bottom hat as well.

But,if you are a Zildjian person then Master sound hats are good.

anavrinIV

a custom mastersounds are great as are aax hats. new beats, to me, are dull and boring and wont be what youre looking for if you want a similar sound to portnoy.

Zim

Mike T":24l2ur5n said:
two words "New Beats" that is all you need to know carry on my wayward son...
Agreed I have used them for years and it seems once you break them in they sound KILLER! open or closed w/ plenty of chick!!

Rockdrummer15

sp4zium":38yx7bn6 said:
get holes drilled in the bottom high-hat. you can do it yourself... which usually results in cracking the high-hat, or you can take em to a shop and they do it for you sometimes. makes a great sound.
I play 14" Zildjian Quick Beat Hi-Hats, and I love them. They already come with holes drilled in the bottom cymbal, and the bottom cymbal is flat...kinda weird but I love the way they play and sound. :D

downshifter99

Rockdrummer15":22z8k1ul said:
sp4zium":22z8k1ul said:
I play 14" Zildjian Quick Beat Hi-Hats, and I love them. They already come with holes drilled in the bottom cymbal, and the bottom cymbal is flat...kinda weird but I love the way they play and sound. :D
True,when I played on Zildjians I used the 14"Quick Beats.They have a fairly flat bottom hat with no cup,4 hole half inch holes(for air release).If you want more of a rock sound then go to the 15"QB's.Ebay has quick beats all the time.

big_richard90

i recently got some 13" qucik-beat hi-hats, theyr flat bottom with 4 holes in them, and they sound amazing, if you like a little bit of jazz, go for them, and if you font, do it anyway!

best place to buy cymbals in the UK, for anybody who is intrested... is www.UK-cymbals.co.uk stupidly cheap!

Palryo

ive got sabian XS20 14" rock hats and they arent so bad, alittle heavy sound when open, and abit trashy, but they get the job done