Hi and..a question.

Shade69

Hi.
I'm Shade (No real names yet kthx).

I'm Greek/English, So I'm not great on English drumming vocabulary. I mostly know the terminology in Greek.

I've been playing drums for about 6-7 months now. Because I started in the middle of this year [average] , I didn't go to a teacher (Like I should). However, lessons start in september, so I'm pretty anxious to begin.

Unlike most drummers [Or perhaps dummer stereotype ? :roll: ] I'm not very eccentric.

I'm also in a band (How did I learn? Well, The internet is filled with sources on basic beats and stuff required like stick positioning. But I will be honest, I believe a teacher, real life contact, is always better). We all started at the same time on our own, but we will start lessons together too soon.

My set is a Ludwig Accent CS Combo [Dont flame, thats what it says on the Toms ]. My Cymbals are Paiste, excluding the high hat (unknown make, but im gonna buy one this week hopefully). I also posses a portable drumming machine if I go on vacation. (Yamaha somethingwhichicantremember). My Drumsticks are Vic Firth.

I like Punk Rock/Pop, Classic Rock like The Stones, And Classical Music (I hear you lawl @ the last one)

Now, thats me. However, a question which has been bugging me, and I haven't found yet an answer :cry:
For 4 months, I played with my hands not crossed. However, somebody told me : ''Don't most drummers play crossed ?''. Since then a phobia dawned, and I've been playing crossed ever since, which is harder, or so it feels, but hey, I can manage. (From my musical tastes, I know Travis Barker from blink 182 played uncrossed..but I'm not sure if thats just image or something)

So..my question is : Is it wrong to play without crossing your hands?

Thanks

P.S As you can see my english isn't great (since I live 99% of time in greece, not england), So if you see anything that sounds contradictive, wrong etc tell me.
P.S 2 : If this is the innapropriate section, then please move it to the one designated for introductions[?]

Martybabes

Play how ever you want, what ever feels more comfterble, alot of left handed drummers play uncrossed cause they find it easier.

stump

First of all Welcome. Actually what you are doing is a cool talent. Left handed drummers who play a right handed kit usually are the ones you see playing the in the form that you are. Carter Beauford is a great example of this playing style. He is a lefty but plays a righty kit, and very well at that. Keep plugging away how you are comfortable and have fun. Definitely get lessons and work on fundementals. Peace on ya!

Brother_Bong

Play how you are comfortable. Open handed(not crossed) is more than just a cool visual, it's a great technique that makes some stuff easier to do. My advise, only listen to people with some knowledge of drums. Welcome to the party :lol:

pasta

Stay with your open-handed technique. Lots of drummers who cross, still practice open handed to improve coordination. Set up a ride on your left and right side if possible.

Shade69

Hey thank you all for the warm welcome.
I know this is stupid, forgive my bad vocab, but rudiments are simple beats that are excerises to improve speed/wrist stamina/etc?

stump

Shade69":1otcxu12 said:
Hey thank you all for the warm welcome.
I know this is stupid, forgive my bad vocab, but rudiments are simple beats that are excerises to improve speed/wrist stamina/etc?
They are basic sticking techniques that you will see help you along with playing. Rolls, paradiddles, flams, triplets and such. Study up and bang awy at them. Peace on ya!

DrummerByron

pasta":av70oqx5 said:
Stay with your open-handed technique. Lots of drummers who cross, still practice open handed to improve coordination. Set up a ride on your left and right side if possible.
I agree, use your non dominate hand as much as you can and play the way you like. Riff off of the left hi-hat with your left hand like you would with your right hand crossed over. The important thing is to find a teacher who will let you learn like that too. Most teachers may want you to learn the traditional way so be selective when you are deciding on a teacher. After all you are paying them.
Some other drummers that play open handed are Chris Slade: AC/DC, The Firm and Shawn Drover: Megadeth.

And welcome in.

BillRayDrums

You're fine. Nothing to worry about- you play "open-handed" meaning you don't cross over. I play like that about 50% of the time now. It's much more comfortable than crossing over. I only cross over when I have to.

Homki890

I usually play crossed over. It how I've always played. Easier for me. However, I'm playing more open to help develop my feet.

Yeah, I'll bet a few raised eyebrows came into being. Figure it out, it's logical.

Welcome to the forums. Nothing wrong with your hand positioning. However, your friend is right, the majority play crossed.

Homki890