hey guys

shine.fm-youth

new member, well not really i've been a lurker for awhile :wink:
but my name's ryan, i'll be 19 on the 31st i've been playing for 11 years now
i play a 5 piece pacific LX series (the discontinued series not the new pdp one)

10' and 12' rack toms
14' floor tom suspended mount
18'x22' bass
with a 12' pork pie snare

i want my 8' and 16' toms, but since the set isn't made anymore they'd have to
be special order and i don't have the funds for that yet..

cymbals

sabian AA rock hats 14'
sabian AAX china 16'
Zildjian z custom rock crash 16'
Zildjian z custom rock crash 18'
Zildjian mega bell ride 21'
Zildjian ZBT china 18'
Zildjian zel bell 6'
Zildjian A custom splash 8'
Zildjian ZXT splash 10'

i'm talking to jamie from saluda cymbals about
trading all my cymbals in for the black mists
witch would be incredible
i'll get some pictures up when i get a new camera
the one i have now doesn't work

well anyway, how's your night going?

DrumsPlus

Welcome. Hope you post some pics. I have an old LX kit as well. Mine is from 2000-01 before they went to Mexico.

DrumsPlus

shine.fm-youth":3s5iba1v said:
yea dude, mine's from 99 or 00 i'm pretty sure,
the drums where better then..
but i love the new hardware they've got.
I switched to DW hardware after striping out everything. I hear the new stuff is better, but I like the DW stuff the best.

shine.fm-youth

yea, i'll switch out eventually
but the hardware's pretty good
i just want to get my cymbals switched out first..
along with getting my other toms

SGarrett

shine.fm-youth":pcftbtk6 said:
yea dude, mine's from 99 or 00 i'm pretty sure,
the drums where better then..
but i love the new hardware they've got.
I think you have a Workshop Series DW kit, not a Pacific. The Workshop was the test run for PDP to see if people would buy them.

I have an '04 LX in natural maple.

shine.fm-youth

it's pacific, i promise..
but i know what you're talking about
and on the stock bass heads
they've got pacific in the oval on top
and drum workshop by DW on the bottom

SGarrett

shine.fm-youth":3r9vok1h said:
If the heads say DW, it's a Workshop...especially if it actually sounds good. The first year (2000) Pacific kits weren't very good.

astev13

Hey shine, do u wanna sell me that 21" megabell? And that zil-bel before u trade ?
Lol I've been searching for the megabell without ordering it but no stores around here have it :?

DrumsPlus

SGarrett":rn7kc3sd said:
shine.fm-youth":rn7kc3sd said:
If the heads say DW, it's a Workshop...especially if it actually sounds good. The first year (2000) Pacific kits weren't very good.
Mine is a the Lazer Blue LX, but DW wasn't sure what year it was. The serial numbers falls into a black hole between 00 and 01. It does sound good, but they didn't put a snare bed on the snare and the heads were crap. Fixed the held problem, but still haven't gotten around to the bed.

shine.fm-youth

astev13":254ffmma said:
Hey shine, do u wanna sell me that 21" megabell? And that zil-bel before u trade ?
Lol I've been searching for the megabell without ordering it but no stores around here have it :?
depends on if Jamie wants to do the trade or not,
if he does i probably would.

SGarrett

DrumsPlus":2h4oshff said:
Mine is a the Lazer Blue LX, but DW wasn't sure what year it was. The serial numbers falls into a black hole between 00 and 01. It does sound good, but they didn't put a snare bed on the snare and the heads were crap. Fixed the held problem, but still haven't gotten around to the bed.
Did you know that they don't keep track of those serial numbers at all? I can't for the life of me remember why they're there, though.

'00-'02 is around the time I was working in a drum shop. I told Chris Lombardi that I thought the kits were crap compared to the competition and that as much as I love DW I'd rather buy a Pearl Session at that price point. I pointed out that the plies looked pretty similar to cardboard, the bearing edges weren't perfectly true, and the lack of the snare bed. Production moved to Mexico and quality increased about a year later. I like to think I played a small part in that by being honest with the man. Hell, I play an LX myself. I do wish it was one of the newer 10 lug models though. I'm thinking about getting an LXE for gigging, using my LX for a rehearsal kit, and also getting either an FS or FX to leave setup in my studio. And one day, I'm going to find me one of them thar Workshop kits.

DrumsPlus

SGarrett":h6i8t9ox said:
DrumsPlus":h6i8t9ox said:
Did you know that they don't keep track of those serial numbers at all? I can't for the life of me remember why they're there, though.

'00-'02 is around the time I was working in a drum shop. I told Chris Lombardi that I thought the kits were crap compared to the competition and that as much as I love DW I'd rather buy a Pearl Session at that price point. I pointed out that the plies looked pretty similar to cardboard, the bearing edges weren't perfectly true, and the lack of the snare bed. Production moved to Mexico and quality increased about a year later. I like to think I played a small part in that by being honest with the man. Hell, I play an LX myself. I do wish it was one of the newer 10 lug models though. I'm thinking about getting an LXE for gigging, using my LX for a rehearsal kit, and also getting either an FS or FX to leave setup in my studio. And one day, I'm going to find me one of them thar Workshop kits.
I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world but I do know what you mean. The newer FS snare I have doesn't have a snare bed either. The bearing edges on mine look good, but the mounting system is junk. It is starting to show some battle wounds though. I had looked into a LXE, but I may go custom and leave this one as my practice kit.

SGarrett

DrumsPlus":h939ltgn said:
I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world but I do know what you mean. The newer FS snare I have doesn't have a snare bed either. The bearing edges on mine look good, but the mounting system is junk. It is starting to show some battle wounds though. I had looked into a LXE, but I may go custom and leave this one as my practice kit.
Yeah, I'm still not overly fond of the stock snares from PDP. Some of the other ones really kick ass though, like the one with wood hoops. I'm getting a 6"x14" birch snare from Medicine Man, so that's taken care of.

DrumsPlus

SGarrett":ggqitjif said:
DrumsPlus":ggqitjif said:
Yeah, I'm still not overly fond of the stock snares from PDP. Some of the other ones really kick ass though, like the one with wood hoops. I'm getting a 6"x14" birch snare from Medicine Man, so that's taken care of.
Funny, I'm sending my FS birch to him to be reworked. You'll have to let me know what you think of his snare, I am going to order one, but not really sure if I want maple or birch at this point.

SGarrett

DrumsPlus":2ny7kw9p said:
SGarrett":2ny7kw9p said:
DrumsPlus":2ny7kw9p said:
Funny, I'm sending my FS birch to him to be reworked. You'll have to let me know what you think of his snare, I am going to order one, but not really sure if I want maple or birch at this point.
I have yet to order it, but when I get it there'll be a full review with sound clips and many pictures.

Right now, I'm using a 5"x14" Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare. And there are many on my "want list". I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many snares or cymbals. :D

DrumsPlus

SGarrett":132dylvb said:
DrumsPlus":132dylvb said:
SGarrett":132dylvb said:
DrumsPlus":132dylvb said:
I have yet to order it, but when I get it there'll be a full review with sound clips and many pictures.

Right now, I'm using a 5"x14" Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare. And there are many on my "want list". I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many snares or cymbals. :D
I'm the same way. I feel I need one of everything. I don't ask for much.