Hey dudes, I need opinions FAST!!!

OzThrasher

Alright, well, I'm lookin at gettin some new double kick pedals....I've been given some sponsership by my local drum store...now here's the thing, I have less than a week to choose, to be entering a drumming comp (which I can easily win (after seeing the competition)).

I've played both, and I'm after other peoples opinions on the belt driven pearl kicks, as opposed to the tama iron cobras...Only got a few days to choose, I can't decide, so I'll go with the majority on this one...

Cheers dudes
:D

ludwigdrummer29

i love my cobras...tama realy makes the strongest hardware. ive played mine so hard an never had a problem.
i also love the new gibralter 9611DC-DB. im going to buy one as soon as i can get the money.

screamkevin

The only real advice I can give you, Oz, is this: If the competition is a speed competition like WFD, then don't get the Cobras. They're not really made for that. The Pearl Powershifter is a fine pedal that you can really fly on. If the competition is for solos, then play both and choose what fits your style best. A belt-drive Pearl will more than likely be a bit faster than a chain drive, it all depends also on what cam you pop into the Pearl.

Good luck in the competition, and keep us updated!!!

Howepirate

Tama IC's are no match for Pearl Powershifters. The powershifters can be completely customized to your liking and not slow and heavy like an IC feels

Beej

Man I hate to do this to ya, but it's always up to the drummer's preference according to his style of drumming. Myself, I've played the top end that Yamaha makes, I've messed around with a few others. FOR ME and I'll say it again...FOR ME, the Iron Cobras kick the crap out of all of them. BUT! as I've said before, maybe the Pearls can suit your style better. I wish you could try them out for a day each. You'd know right off the bat which ones to take. One more comment about the Iron Cobras....a buddy of mine had the DW 9000 series which was their best line to date. He really liked them....until he played my Cobras. He immediately started looking to trade his DW's in for his own set of Cobras. Now if that isn't a product endorsement, I don't know what is! Good luck man! Kick Butt!

Eiren

Try before you buy.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Iron Cobras are slow from. I can play sustained 200+bpm on them quite easily.

I am very tempted to get some Trick Bigfoot pedals though... those are beautiful.

Howepirate

Eiren":3h5umj0j said:
Try before you buy.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Iron Cobras are slow from. I can play sustained 200+bpm on them quite easily.

I am very tempted to get some Trick Bigfoot pedals though... those are beautiful.
Thats slow!

Eiren

Howepirate":37v68nct said:
Eiren":37v68nct said:
Try before you buy.

Thats slow!
Fast enough for most practical things that I need. Derek Roddy hit his wall at 215/220bpm. I'm pretty sure it's there or thereabouts that I peak.

Empyrean Drums

Eiren":373a3ulk said:
Howepirate":373a3ulk said:
Eiren":373a3ulk said:
Try before you buy.

Thats slow!
Fast enough for most practical things that I need. Derek Roddy hit his wall at 215/220bpm. I'm pretty sure it's there or thereabouts that I peak.
Don't mind him, he's just some kid who can't back up the shit he talks....

OzThrasher

Thanx everyone for their opinions, was pretty much as I expected. Turns out I got a couple more weeks before the comp. So I'll be able to try em both.

I'm still sitting totally on the fence at this stage, but will let you know what I chose and how it goes *crosses fingers, cuts of a rabbits foot, and knocks on wood* :p

The main reason I asked was because the last time I played an Iron Cobra was a few years ago and admittedly I was a bit drunk at the time, lol. And played with some awesome pearl ones on the weekend. I've got some semi decent old pearl ones that are fine for gigs, but are far from competition level.

I'll keep you all updated, or if you so choose, I'll keep blogs going on my myspace

www.myspace.com/maine_ripper (that and I'm hangin to meet more cool drummers from around the globe :D

Thanks again for all the info and opinions :D

laters

Howepirate

Empyrean Drums":1semkcdj said:
Eiren":1semkcdj said:
Howepirate":1semkcdj said:
Eiren":1semkcdj said:
Try before you buy.

Thats slow!
Don't mind him, he's just some kid who can't back up the shit he talks....

Your cute. D.rod useta could hit around 250 i hit around 230 every now and then.

Oh i and i wish i had all the precious resources that many drummers do to post videos and such but im struggling to get my gear in order and obviously dont have the funds to buy a camera and record but i might have a friend help me soon.

Empyrean Drums

Howepirate":2avbn60a said:
Your cute. D.rod useta could hit around 250 i hit around 230 every now and then.

Oh i and i wish i had all the precious resources that many drummers do to post videos and such but im struggling to get my gear in order and obviously dont have the funds to buy a camera and record but i might have a friend help me soon.
You're the definition of poseur. You're in almost every post boasting about your skills by bragging about other drummers.
We all know Derek Roddy is great, but pointing to another drummer's greatness does not make you great by association.

Howepirate

Empyrean Drums":mpny2ml9 said:
Howepirate":mpny2ml9 said:

You're the definition of poseur. You're in almost every post boasting about your skills by bragging about other drummers.
We all know Derek Roddy is great, but pointing to another drummer's greatness does not make you great by association.

Why do you seek the need to bash me? I'm proud of the very few and very limited skills that i am trying very hard to improve upon just like every other drummer out there! We are all valuable and we are all good drummers. I checked out some of your bands stuff and its sick and i like your drumming style a lot but the way you bash on other people has got something wretched to say about your attitude. The real poser is the one who cant be happy for other peoples accomplishment and the amazing drummers they aspire to be like and hopefully exceed.

Go ahead bro bash me some more. I'm so glad your cute insults could only be displayed as typed letters locked somewhere in some server because if it was just me and you then we could really discuss our true talents.

Empyrean Drums

Howepirate":3jpa632e said:
Empyrean Drums":3jpa632e said:
Howepirate":3jpa632e said:

Why do you seek the need to bash me? I'm proud of the very few and very limited skills that i am trying very hard to improve upon just like every other drummer out there! We are all valuable and we are all good drummers. I checked out some of your bands stuff and its sick and i like your drumming style a lot but the way you bash on other people has got something wretched to say about your attitude. The real poser is the one who cant be happy for other peoples accomplishment and the amazing drummers they aspire to be like and hopefully exceed.

Go ahead bro bash me some more. I'm so glad your cute insults could only be displayed as typed letters locked somewhere in some server because if it was just me and you then we could really discuss our true talents.
But that's the kicker-You're never really showing or discussing your talent. You condescend to people then point to someone like Derek Roddy to support your claims. That just builds animosity towards a great drummer who doesn't deserve it (animosity). I'm very happy for what Derek Roddy has accomplished not only for himself but for all extreme drummers, which is why I find your methods so insulting.

I'll make you a deal, I'll lay off bashing you if you lay off posting in every thread how many bpm Derek Roddy can play .
Instead, maybe work on that video and get that posted. Then we can try and have a civil discussion about that.

Howepirate

Empyrean Drums":23toeram said:
Howepirate":23toeram said:
Empyrean Drums":23toeram said:
Howepirate":23toeram said:

But that's the kicker-You're never really showing or discussing your talent. You condescend to people then point to someone like Derek Roddy to support your claims. That just builds animosity towards a great drummer who doesn't deserve it (animosity). I'm very happy for what Derek Roddy has accomplished not only for himself but for all extreme drummers, which is why I find your methods so insulting.

I'll make you a deal, I'll lay off bashing you if you lay off posting in every thread how many bpm Derek Roddy can play .
Instead, maybe work on that video and get that posted. Then we can try and have a civil discussion about that.
Alright deals a deal...sorry about using D.rod in so many of my posts but everything he plays from his groovy stuff to his extreme metal stuff inspires me but that left alone im glad we've come to an agreement. Happy drumming bro and sorry to the poster whos topic we've cluttered a bit