Hey drummers...

a92h

Hey people, I am leaving to the USA this August to spend one full accedimec year over there on scholarship. I will be doing tenth grade. I am heading from Kuwait.

So I am new to drumming and want to get to learn it over there. Danny Carey from my favorite band Tool inspired my and I am really serious about starting drumming. So what exactly do I do when I get there? What is my first step? Do school music teachers in America teach drumming, or do I need a private teacher? If so about how much do you pay for lessons? When do I know that I can self study and no longer need any lessons?

I have a very basic knowledge of reading basic drum notation. I learned that on some websites on the internet.

One last question , does being 15 years old too old or young for drumming?

Thanks, you dont know how much I appreciate any help anyone can offer me. and mods feel free to move this topic.

Oh and I dont own a drumset yet.

drummer912

welcome to america and there are MANY opportunities for a beginner drummer here. i suggest you first get ur rudiments on snare down before you move on the the kit. in most schools, there is a marching band (that plays at sport events) and a symphonic band that plays like concerts. i dont know if ur too old to join the band or not, but if u can get in that would be great. they will teach you how to play most likely.

once you get down the snare, move on to the rest of the kit. you can buy many, many different kinds of beginner drum sets, in the price range of $300-$700. just go to a local music store or look online for the one you want. when you get the kit, it would be best to hire a drum teacher (info should be at ur local music store.) this is not manditory, i dont have a teacher. i am self taught on the kit and had two years of band in elementary school on the snare and bass drums. i highly suggest getting a teacher though, for you will learn much more and learn easier.

good luck man, and you are not at all too old or too young. there is no age of which to begin drumming.

a92h

Cool thanks drummer912 my man and gigititigo alrigggggggght :lol: ..

Anymore suggestions would be helpfull guys

Lancelot Frosty

You're never too young or too old to play. XD
Enjoy yourself man. :)
Well, I started out self taught.
I was more or less forced into lessons by my family.
I guess they help... I dunno.
They're admittedly slightly dull at times, but that's just me.
Only advice I've got for you is to follow what the other guys on the forum say...
Oh, and- don't just bang the drums. Find the right volume for what you're gonna be playing.
When I started out, I would just bang the drums at inconsistent volumes. Big mistake on my part.
Keep drumming-you've just found one of the many wonders of life. XD

a92h

I will arrive at the USA (dunno what state yet) at August 8th. My school does not start untill September, so I have alot of time till school starts. I will also be assigned a host family. So do I tell them I want to start drumming? What do I do in my 20-25 days before school? I want to start drumming before school.

Sorry for all my questions guys, I really appreciate any reply

drummer912

its fine, but yea just tell them you want to learn. they may not be crazy about the idea at first, and if they dont let u get a drum set right off, buy a practice pad and some sticks. concentrate on getting the basics down first b/c this will help you farther down the road. if they do let you get a set, thts great. just remember not to get carried away and forget about learning how to do everything.

there are many different types of pads, but here's and example:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=443275

a92h

OK so I will tell them that I want to learn. Is it good to take lessons before starting school? You told me that at the music store I can find info about teachers. I want them to teach me the basics and reading some drum notation. So is it a good idea?

About practice pads I will do like you told me, if I cant get s drum set at first I will go for the practice pads.

Thanks guys for the welcome to your country.

drummer912

yea, its fine to talk lessons before school. either look up music teachers in the phone book, or go to the music store. good luck again.

Brother_Bong

I am completely self-taught, not sure if thats good or bad. Some people benefit from lessons, others not so much. It won't hurt to try lessons, and decide from there. Otherwise, drummer912 is right, start with a practice pad or snare, ONLY. Learn the basics before buying the kit. Good luck my friend, and welcome to America. Also, age is unimportant, attitude, and dedication are.

a92h

Thanks Bong, Im just wondering what exactly do you guys mean by self-taught? Is it like you buy some books that teach drumming and you learn from it?

pasta

Self taught can mean learning from books, internet, friends and listening. What you should do is, as soon as you get with your host family, find out what school you will attend and try to contact the band teacher at the school. Find out if they have anything for beginners at your grade level--you would probably be a tenth grader. Usually kids begin in band in 4-6th grade (age 10-12) Ask for recommendations for drum teachers. They may take you in band as a beginner (even if the other players are more advanced) if you show him/her you're serious by getting drum lessons before school starts and continuing them during the school year. You'll catch up a lot faster that way. You'll also have a lot of camaraderie being in a school music group with other drummers and will learn things from them as well. I'm not sure you can expect your host family to have a great interest in the noise you'll create with a snare or drum kit, but you should certainly be able to get sticks and a pad. You might want to request, if possible, a family that's musical (other kids in family already play) and that would make things easier. Good luck!

a92h

Thanks pasta for your advice! I dont think they can complain if I buy I drumset because it wont be with their money. For this program I get a 300 dollars recite if I want to buy something big for example a guy that went before my bought skiing stuff. I also get a 125 dollar per month allowance. I will use my 300 dollars for a drumset and if its not enough I will save some more money.

Alright I am not familiar with this 'band' thing at American schools, we dont have it in the middle east...please someone tell me what it is. I am assuming its a lesson you take at school for an orchestra or something like that??

Beej

First, I would like to say you have great taste in mentors. I just saw Danny Carey perform with Tool two weeks ago and what a great show! He's one of my favorites as well.

I'm going to suggest that you contact your school. Tell them you are an exchange student and you are interested in taking music classes and you need to talk to the band director to see what your options are. Most marching bands have what they call "band camp" before school even starts. Sometimes its a month before school starts but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to join. Ask the band director(teacher) what he feels you should do for this school year.

It would be good for you to also study a private instructor for the simple fact that band directors don't always have the time for one on one studies. As someone said before me, you can learn faster from someone who is dedicated to helping you learn drumming. As for price, I think that's going to differ depending on your location in the states. Right now I give private drum lessons for $25 per hour and I only give one hour lessons every two weeks to give the student enough time to practice. I know how kids can get busy sometimes.

As for now, get a practice pad for drummers, a set of sticks and a book on rudiments. Practice your music reading and those rudiments. I don't care how boring it tends to get, practice, practice, practice those rudiments. Rudiments to drums are like words to a sentence. You are never to old to take up drumming if you have the interest and dedication.
Welcome to America and good luck!