Hey, did anyone else see this snare?

rufus4dagruv

It's the super sensitive and not the supraphonic. The SS's usually do not sell for as much as the phonics. Also, if you look at the B/O badge, you'll see that the corners are rounded instead of pointy. This change occurred at the end of the 70's. The pointed cornered badged BB's are more valuable. Still, I'm not that surprised by the sell price. They are pretty rare and sound great.

liquidrummr

Very nice drum. I have a Supra and used to have a SuperSensitive which are sweet sounding drums in their own right. BB's are a much sought after prize revered by many a drummer, so I'd be surprised to see one go for a bargain price.

Alan_

those super sensitive strainers are a pain in the ass.

I didn't know they ever cut the corners off the blue/olive badges like that. haven't really paid attention to anything ludwig that doesn't date back to the early 70's or before. I'm pretty sure they did that for safety reasons. My early 70's 24" Ludwig marching bass drum had the badge with the corners. one corner sat "up" a little bit, and I have sliced myself on it a couple of times.

liquidrummr

If anyone's interested, there are a lot of Black Beauty snare drums up on Ebay right now. Some Supra's and some SS in 5x14 and 6 1/2 x 14. I guess they come in different qualities and price ranges. There are over a dozen going for a buy it now price of $500 or less. There are two engraved BB's which are the holy grail of snare drums to some. One is at $1,900 and the other is at $2,500 and the bidding ends today on a lot of them.