help

grohl

like...i ve got a drum recently and im beginning to play drums...my question is...is there some type trick of holding the drum sticks?ive been seeing some drum stuff some videos and i look that they hold and do the beatings with some kind of tecnic..i dont know...

drummert2k

i'd recommend getting a teacher even if its just long enough to learn to hold the sticks and the basicas of drumming. playing drums is a lot more than just grabbing sticks and swinging them at stuff.

drumsforlife

There is matched grip and there is traditional grip. There is technique to your grip so learn the proper technique for your grip. Buy a beginning book or try searching the net for a beginner's video that includes how to grip. I've learned from experience that learning the grip is a VERY good idea because being a self taught drummer, I did not learn. And I'm having trouble with certain things now because every once in a while I revert back to the way I started. Finding a teacher is also very good advice. Listen to drummert2k. I've picked up a few things from him just reading on here that have proven to help me out in the long run. Are you learning just snare or are you doing mallets as well? Because if you're doing mallets too, you'll need to learn grips for mallets as well. There are certain grips that help you with doubling up on the mallets and remaining accurate. I've yet to take actual lessons on kit, but I did take half a semester of percussion methods with a very well known percussionist around here until I was kicked out of that college for failing grades. I can tell you, learn how to grip. Like drummert2k says, playing drums is more than just grabbing a pair of sticks and swinging at stuff. Good luck!

J.C.

LIKE THESE GUYS SAID ITS ALWAYS BEST TO FIND A DRUM INSTRUCTOR, BUT ILL TRY TO HELP AS MUCH AS I CAN, FIRST YOU WANNA MAKE YOUR CHOICE FROM A MATCH GRIP OR TRADITIONAL GRIP , OR YOU COULD EVENTUALLY SWITCH OFF AND DO BOTH. THEN I RECOMEND GET A DRUM CHART OR BOOK THAT HAS ALL 26 DRUM RUDIMENTS (THIS IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW AND WILL MAKE YOU A BETTER DRUMMER). AND ALWAYS REMEMBER WHEN PRACTICING YOUR CHOPS OR STROKES THAT YOU WANT TO TRY USING MORE OF YOUR WRISTS THAN YOUR WHOLE ARM AND TRY KEEPING YOUR STICKS RELATIVELY LOW AND CLOSE TO THE DRUMS, AND THEN ONCE YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE PROPER TECHNIQUE AND ARE MORE COMFORTABLE AND CONFIDENT WITH YOUR INSTRUMENT YOU'LL MOVE AROUND ALOT MORE WHILE KEEP GOOD TECHNIQUE IN YOUR PLAYING AND EXECUTE YOUR BEATS MORE ACURATLEY AS APPOSED TO SLOPPY AND UNORGANIZED. GOOD LUCK AND ABOVE ALL HAVE FUN.

-J.C.

killdrum1983

drumsforlife":3lnliiv6 said:
Listen to drummert2k. I've picked up a few things from him just reading on here that have proven to help me out in the long run.
Yeah same here drummert2k and many others helped me and help me again. This web site is excellent. Go use the Search tool too you can find really good things.... ;)

stump

There are alot of self taught drummers out there but a large percentage of your best drummers have had some formal training. Do what 2K suggests and get a teacher be it private or in school and you will see that there's a whole lot more than just stick grip. Welcome to the world of drumming and good luck! Peace.