Help with this difficult beat please!

jayrod

Can someone please take a look at the beat he does at 1:21 and tell me what notes hes playing on the hi-hat? Is it 1/4 or what it goes so fast I cant see it. Maybe do a drum tab for me pretty please??? I wanna learn it so bad!! Its driving me insane cuz its so hard! Its a song Im trying to cover I liked when I was younger so any help would be appreciated. Thanks http://youtube.com/watch?v=9rOgP4GtvqQ

SGarrett

jayrod":zbx0szhf said:
So its 1/4 notes??
It's double time. So if you're playing quarter notes on the hats, two and four on the snare, and one and three on the kick and you double it what do you get? You get eighth notes on the hats, the snare plays on all the upbeats (ands), and the kick plays on all of the down beats (quarter notes).

jayrod

I cant quite get up to his speed. How does he play it so fast? The first beat is already fast. Can you play it???

SGarrett

jayrod":3e1zy3tn said:
I cant quite get up to his speed. How does he play it so fast? The first beat is already fast. Can you play it???
Yes I can. He plays that fast because he's spent thousands of hours practicing and building his speed up.

SGarrett

The metal guys around here seem to be fond of the Derek Roddy exercises. The most important things are that you use a metronome and don't force the speed. Speed only comes with diligent practice...unless you've got the fast twitch muscles of a sprinter.

jayrod

Hey thanks for your time. Ill check those out as Ive already seen some and maybe I can play it in a couple of years LOL!!

SGarrett

Not a problem, man. How long it takes will depend on how much you put into it. Focused and diligent practice will pay off in less time than you might think. But if you just try to short cut your way there it'll actually take you significantly longer to reach your goals. I know a guy who spent almost three years trying to get consistent double kick playing with 16th at even 140bpm. He'd sit and watch TV while playing solid singles with his feet for an hour or two, every night. He never got any better because he never focused on the playing, never took it down really slow to make sure he was doing things correctly, never listened to anyone else, and would spit on a metronome if you put it in front of him (figuratively speaking). All he wanted were short cuts and he ended up quitting in utter frustration after about four years. In that time, he still couldn't even play a basic funk groove that felt good and was even remotely in time. I played a few open mic's with him and would stand behind him and clap the tempo and I even tapped it on his shoulder a few times. He was just concerned with playing fast and fancy. Don't be that guy.

jayrod

Yeah I like to play alot of types of music its just that most everything has come pretty easy so far except that beat. I think my real problem is with the hi-hat. No matter how hard or fast I play it, its still not fast enough for that beat. I think Im playing the hat wrong or something. my arm gets real tired and tense!

Lancelot Frosty

I'm with SGarett here, as always.
Focus on it and keep practicing.
I managed a certain Gadd groove I love in about and hour and a half just cause I sat at the kit and worked at it like my life depended on it.

scottie gee

i can't totally tell for sure, but i'm wondering in this tune at the double time if he even is playing 8ths on the hats (or the new quater note if it actually goes to "double time" for the semantically inclined.) sounds to me like it mightcould just be on 2&4 with the snare. if i were playing that i bet i might just play it with the kick drum to tell ya the truth...

rock. i never heard of these guys.... gotta love a song thats under 2 minutes!

SGarrett

scottie gee":101swv1d said:
i can't totally tell for sure, but i'm wondering in this tune at the double time if he even is playing 8ths on the hats (or the new quater note if it actually goes to "double time" for the semantically inclined.) sounds to me like it mightcould just be on 2&4 with the snare. if i were playing that i bet i might just play it with the kick drum to tell ya the truth...

rock. i never heard of these guys.... gotta love a song thats under 2 minutes!
I took another look. If you watch his sticks you can see the right one hitting on the "new" (double timed) quarter notes.

dave lynch

dave lynch":1tdyag01 said:
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like he changes from a 2/4 to a 6/8 during that part..!!
Ummm..I think he just does 3s in 4s on the snare and follows the kick with oppisites and each of the 3rd kicks he doubles them..Uhhhh I guess...hehe...Once again it's been a long day and now I'm trying to think..Uggghh..LOL

dave lynch

dave lynch":c5c92prv said:
dave lynch":c5c92prv said:
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like he changes from a 2/4 to a 6/8 during that part..!!
Ummm..I think he just does 3s in 4s on the snare and follows the kick with oppisites and each of the 3rd kicks he doubles them..Uhhhh I guess...hehe...Once again it's been a long day and now I'm trying to think..Uggghh..LOL
One more time..Jeeez I'm tired...Ummm..3s in 2s or 6s in 4s..I think..Sorry for the comments folks..!!