Help with Floor Tom Tuning!!!!!

GTB

I play on a Gretch catalina Birch ( modified for metal ) all my drums are tuned pretty well, but the floor tom ( 14'') has been givin me some trouble. If i give it a single whack, there will be a sorta boomy, echo effect. but if i put a little pressure on the bottom head, it stops. Re-tune the bottom head???

drummert2k

yeah, sounds like you gotta re tune your drum. might even be the top head. hard to tell without hearing it. being a 14 inch drum you're naturally going to have to tune it a little higher than a 16 inch floor tom so if this is your first 14 inch floor tom then you'll just have to play with the tuning until you find a tone you like without loosing all the low end. with the right head combination you can still get a 14 inch floor tom tuned fairly low and semi boomy

Spydr2000

14' floor is one of the hardest drums I found to tune on a kit. I always tune higher on the bottom head and leave the top really loose just enough that it doesn't buzz. Some times muffling the bottom slightly will solve your problem. I rarely have to do this.

Groove

Spydr2000":d3py62fm said:
14' floor is one of the hardest drums I found to tune on a kit. I always tune higher on the bottom head and leave the top really loose just enough that it doesn't buzz. Some times muffling the bottom slightly will solve your problem. I rarely have to do this.
I completely agree! Me and 14" FTs don't get along very well. Except for the GMS kit I recently tuned.

I've noticed that if I keep tweaking it over and over it becomes a lost cause. I'll have to take a break, give my ears a break, and come back later and completely loosen the head and start over.

8)