Help with drum shells

Sway

Im going to order my own maple shell and all the hardware for it. I was wondering if anyone knew where the best place to go is. I know KELLER is probably the best for shells but i want weird woods also like Bubinga and Ironwood and i dont know if they do that.
Also where is a good place to get lugs and hardware?
Thanks for your help.

drummert2k

if you try to go with keller they will probably direct you to someone like precision drums or another company to order shells. besides, you'll want a professional to cut them to size and do the bearing edges and possible even drill for the hardware for you. doing this yourself with little or no experience in drum building most likely will result in a wasted shell.

for the exotics woods, your best bet might be to just email a bigger company that uses those woods and ask them where you can order raw shells from.

hardware is super easy to find. google it and you'll find tons of companies. just make sure you have what hardware you're getting set before you order shells if the company is going to bee cutting and drilling for you. they'll need to know about the hardware so they can drill properly for the lugs.

Sway

yeah thanks man im going to do it myself though. I been doing reasearch like crazy and im going to practice alot on some other sheets before i go straight into it. I want to do everything cause i fell if i dont i might as well get a custom drum. I have the tools and stuff so im going to wait and keep practicing at it for at least 6 months before i try it on a shell.
Thank you for the info man. peace

drummert2k

no problem. just watch those edges. whatever degree you decide you want to cut them at make sure you're consitstant and very careful. best of luck and get some pics up here when its done!