Help with Double Bass...

King_trizz

G'day

I've been playing drums for about 5 years (self taught) now and I'm doing pretty well, and I'm soon to have drum lessons to work on proper playing methods and techniques, etc.

But at the moment I'm having a lot of trouble controlling my double kick patterns. It's not the speed I can or can't reach that's the issue, it's things like fast tiplets and other 'bursts' if you will of double bass/kick I can't seem to pull-off properly at the moment. (example, Lamb of God's Now You've Got Something To Die For at 1min 40secs in)

So before I even head off to get some freindly lessons, does anyone have any advice on how to make my 'double kick control' any easier at the moment? Are there certain beater angles or precise spring tensions that would make these kinds of double kick 'bursts', etc easier to pull off?

Cheers

peripsy

King_trizz":38f2r2mt said:
G'day

I've been playing drums for about 5 years (self taught) now and I'm doing pretty well, and I'm soon to have drum lessons to work on proper playing methods and techniques, etc.

But at the moment I'm having a lot of trouble controlling my double kick patterns. It's not the speed I can or can't reach that's the issue, it's things like fast tiplets and other 'bursts' if you will of double bass/kick I can't seem to pull-off properly at the moment. (example, Lamb of God's Now You've Got Something To Die For at 1min 40secs in)

So before I even head off to get some freindly lessons, does anyone have any advice on how to make my 'double kick control' any easier at the moment? Are there certain beater angles or precise spring tensions that would make these kinds of double kick 'bursts', etc easier to pull off?

Cheers
Only metronome and your effort will help you.Remember to do all of your exercises slow and be patient.I play 10 years double bass with an axis pedal and i can't do a lot of things.George kollias plays at 260 singles he is the man...

SGarrett

^^^Yep, play everything really slowly so you get the control and muscle memory down, correctly.

Aside from that, let your ankles do the work instead of looking for a hardware solution.

dbkman

i agree, most of the time, good technique can make crappy equiment sing. make sure your posture is correct too, thats very important

HardcoreDrummer

(example, Lamb of God's Now You've Got Something To Die For at 1min 40secs in)

Chris Adler's axis pedals are long enough so that he cao some stuff. He has longboards , and they add 2 more inches

King_trizz

HardcoreDrummer said:
(example, Lamb of God's Now You've Got Something To Die For at 1min 40secs in)

Chris Adler's axis pedals are long enough so that he cao some stuff. He has longboards , and they add 2 more inches
oh yeah, forgot about them bad boys haha

King_trizz

SGarrett said:
^^^Yep, play everything really slowly so you get the control and muscle memory down, correctly.

Aside from that, let your ankles do the work instead of looking for a hardware solution.
Cheers man