Help please. Upgrading my drum kit

Dukkha

Hey! I'm thinking of getting rid of my old drum kit and buying something much better later on this year.I've only been playing for 5 years but I'm thinking of splashing out on either a Tama starclassic Maple, DW or Pearl sessions or reference kit! I'm having trouble deciding as you can see. :lol: I know what set up i want and what wood(maple-apparently more musical sounding) Just wondering if any of you have these kits and could tell me what they are like. Im looking to spend around £2,000 not inlcuding cymbals. I know DW cost a lot more and im not sure whether they are worth the extra money. Even if you know what ones are easier to tune etc any information would help me! thanks!

anavrinIV

if youre looking for a straight maple set then the reference is not for you...only the 12" tom is maple, the rest is a combination. go to pearls website for more details but the reference has the most innovation shell wise of any set on the market...they are also the best sounding drums ive ever heard.

i think dw is an overrated company and a few guys ive talked to said that the pre 97 dws (the ones with keller shells) sound much better than the ones made today.

starclassics are great drums but i prefer the performers to the maples. tama also has superb hardware.

from what i gather, you dont seem too sure on the sound you actually want, based on your "maple-apparently more musical sounding" comment. if you dont know what maple sounds like then you need to hear it before you drop a couple thousand pounds on a set that you only like a little bit. go out and play some kits...you may be surprised at what you actually like.

Dale

I think your best bet is to try out some kits and decide which you prefer.

I am buying a Starclassic maple, although I wanted a Sonor Delite. But after having compared the toms directly I decided that aside from the thinner shells on the Tama and a brighter sound, the quality was pretty much even. For example, what the Sonor had in depth, the Tama had in punch.

I think all the high end kits are very good these days and pretty much even in quality. It all comes down to the sound you like.

Jordyn

It seems as though a lot of professionals have Gretsch... plus they have a good reputation with guitars. Are they any good? I'm looking to upgrade myself, and I keep hearing that Pearl is overrated. I've never bought a drumset myself..so I don't know what is out there and what is good/bad.

Dale

Jordyn":1kontaji said:
It seems as though a lot of professionals have Gretsch... plus they have a good reputation with guitars. Are they any good? I'm looking to upgrade myself, and I keep hearing that Pearl is overrated. I've never bought a drumset myself..so I don't know what is out there and what is good/bad.
Gretsch have always been good, but I don't know if they are worth the money they charge. Keller makes their shells now and I don't know how close they are to the original shells.

As I said above, pretty much all the high end drums made these days are very very good. It all comes down to individual sound characteristics and which sound you prefer. My prefered brand is Sonor. But others may feel different. Many people like DW, I don't at all. But DW are still fine drums, if that is the sound one likes.

Your best bet is to go to a drum shop and have a play and listen to various kits. That way you can make an informed choice based on your own preferences.

Rockaflodge

Tama are good drums, but there customer services SUCK! if you ever break something that has to be ordered, you will have to wait forever to get it, DW over rated, They are a great sounding kit, but for the less money you can get a kit that sounds just as good. Now pearl, I play a set of Pearl master BRX bircth shells, Befor I got this get I did so backgroud checks, Pearl has the best customer surpport on the market, and no mater were you are you can find a pearl dealer if you break something on the road, There hardwear is like a tank, I have never broke our striped any of my pearl hardwear, the master use diecast hoops, hardwear comes in Black-gold-crome- satain, The must beautiful colors and just simply the best sounding drums out there. and There is a big deffence between maple and bircth, you just need to go play one of both to see what you like better, but I prefer bircth, more low end and deeper tones and they have a natural EQ so it makes them easy to mix live or in the studio.

screamkevin

Um, what about Yamaha, folks!! Their Maple Custom Absolutes are out of this world, and one of the most popular drums out there.

Also, check out Sonors, and don't be afraid to check out the smaller "boutique" companies for custom-made drums.