Help Please!! ec2 coated or g2 coated

Martin

Well Ive been playing Evans ec'2 clears on my tom batters for over a year now and I really love them. However this is the second set Ive been through and I felt Its time to try out a coated head instead. Now my first instinct was to just go with the ec'2 coated since I do like the way my drums sound with the clears currently. But then I think to myself... hmm... maybe i should try the g2 coated instead maybe? let my toms sing a little bit more?
Now all I really know is that a coated head will add more attack, that I understand. But what would i notice most from going from an ec'2 to a g2 coated? Which of the two would you most recomend?
I know its alot of questions, but who better to answer it than you lot right? 8)
Oh and the drums are maple shell Pear Sessions If that makes a difference in head selection.
Cheers, and thx in advance!
:D

metldrummer2112

Don't get ec2 coated. They're not actually coated, they're frosted. I broke mine fairly quickly as well, and they just didn't sound good. Go for G2 coated

SGarrett

I'd go for the G2s. I'm not a huge fan of premuffled tom heads other than the heads Remo makes for DW (not PDP, DW).

audiotech

I have Evans EC2 coated heads on the toms of my vintage Pearl kit. They sound good but just a bit more dead than I would like. A lot of it depends on your kit, but If it were me I would go with the G2 coated, they will let your drums resonate more.

These are EC2 coated heads.

Dennis

Martin

Hey, thx alot for the helpful replies. I took your advice and just ordered a set of g2 coated's (none in stock at any local shops).
I do like the hazy look of the ec'2 coated's though, very nice indeed.
Thx again

audiotech

shine.fm-youth":3l2fdumk said:
audiotech
you also have internal dampeners in your toms
so i'm sure they're very very dead
Yes, but they are set just below head level. No affect on the head dampening.

Dennis

audiotech

shine.fm-youth":bt2uklvu said:
got ya,
they're not screwed up touching the heads?
No, they're set right below the bottom of the batter and not actually touching the heads. When I had G2 clears for the batters on this kit, the internal muffling worked wonders, but then I just dialed in a very small amount. They are like using adjustable Moongel when they're needed. :)

Dennis

shine.fm-youth

i've played old school snares with internal mufflers
but i've never played a kit with them

they cut the ring on the snares,
but i like the ring

i can see how they would kind of "kill" the high end over tones

pow3rtr1p

I recently put a G2 Coated on my floor tom, with a Genera resonant head, and it sounds sweet. I have heard the EC2 coated can be a bit too dead, so keep that in mind.

xdoseonex

after trying all these different things, i can honestly say your best bet is to go with a regular 2 ply head with no weird muffling or anything, and if you want to dampen use moongels. if you want to open up your drums even more you can go for the evans Gplus

john gerrard

I would bet that the Evans G-Plus are just what you are looking for. They are a 1 ply head but they are (I think) a 12 mil thickness. That is just between a regular single 10 ply and a double 14 ply. I use the coated and really like the sound. John

Martin

john gerrard":1miv10jj said:
I would bet that the Evans G-Plus are just what you are looking for. They are a 1 ply head but they are (I think) a 12 mil thickness. That is just between a regular single 10 ply and a double 14 ply. I use the coated and really like the sound. John
Been a long time since I posted this thread. But oddly enough I did end up going with the Gplus. Im happy enough with them, had them on for about 3 weeks and they really do have a ton of low end. I tune my toms real low and these heads sound OK that way. Tuned up to a medium or higher tuning and IMO they sound like shite.... real kinda plasticy sound too them idk... hard to explain but definately alot of weird overtones that go away with a lower tuning.
Oh and another thing.. from my experiences the Gplus mic kinda crappy, I had problems with overtones (and not the pleasant kind ... It almost sounded like a plastic pail being hit) at all tuning levels. If I ever have to mic I throw on the ol EC2's and they mic absolutely great, real clean and punchy!!
Cheers

AmnestysLowEnd

The newer EC2 SST have a new non-metal muffling, it sounds wayyy better than then the older ec2. The heads resonate a lot better but still controlled. I have em on my EXR and they sound great real deep and punchy.