Help! Need Electric Drums Opinion!

cgaffka

Hey everyone!
So I bought this cheap electric drum set,
OSP's DD-502.

Its a decent little kit for 400 bucks, i was pretty amazed at the quality of this kit for what I paid.
Its no ROLAND, but for the cost it does the job.
I only purchased the kit for strictly practice only!!
I have my Pearls for shows and band practice, I needed somthing to jam on here at the house that wouldn't drive the family completely crazy!

Well heres the problem. These drums arent all that quiet!!!!
I'm not sure if any of you have played these drums, but the pads are very loud!
The heads on these pads come off and can be replaced with any type of head.
I figured maybe go out and buy some Mesh heads..
Well, those run about 20-25 bucks a piece, I cant spend another 125 on this!

SO, just wondering if anybody can think of anything I can make here or do to these drums to make em quiet.
I have been thinking and trying a few things, but might as well see if anyone else has any ideas!

You can find some different videos and someone did a good review of the kit on youtube.

Please let me know if any of you have any ideas!!! These are to loud and almost defeat the purpose of buying them!
Thanks a lot everyone!
Oh, and if you would like me to take any pictures or possibly video of the kit for ideas, let me know what ya want and i'll do it.
Thanks so much for the help!
Its much appreciated!!!!!! :D

BillRayDrums

cgaffka":36eqpejc said:
Hey everyone!
So I bought this cheap electric drum set,
OSP's DD-502.

Its a decent little kit for 400 bucks, i was pretty amazed at the quality of this kit for what I paid.
Its no ROLAND, but for the cost it does the job.
I only purchased the kit for strictly practice only!!
I have my Pearls for shows and band practice, I needed somthing to jam on here at the house that wouldn't drive the family completely crazy!

Well heres the problem. These drums arent all that quiet!!!!
I'm not sure if any of you have played these drums, but the pads are very loud!
The heads on these pads come off and can be replaced with any type of head.
I figured maybe go out and buy some Mesh heads..
Well, those run about 20-25 bucks a piece, I cant spend another 125 on this!

SO, just wondering if anybody can think of anything I can make here or do to these drums to make em quiet.
I have been thinking and trying a few things, but might as well see if anyone else has any ideas!

You can find some different videos and someone did a good review of the kit on youtube.

Please let me know if any of you have any ideas!!! These are to loud and almost defeat the purpose of buying them!
Thanks a lot everyone!
Oh, and if you would like me to take any pictures or possibly video of the kit for ideas, let me know what ya want and i'll do it.
Thanks so much for the help!
Its much appreciated!!!!!! :D
Drums are loud, mmmmKay?
And it sounds very trivial but really, learn to play quieter. You will relax more and be able to get into it. In other words, your ears open and tension disappears. Then you can get down to being creative.

cgaffka

m":3qlusu1u said:
I don't know of any way to get E-drums any quieter than using mesh heads, I'm afraid.
Have you looked at all the brands that are available?

http://www.google.com/search?q=mesh+drum+heads

there appear to be quite a few that cost less than $20 a pc.
The only Mesh head i can find that is priced under $20 is this one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=448441

Im not sure if thats the right kind of head for what I am looking for?
Do you have electric drums?
If so, or even if you dont, will this really make a difference?
Like is it the head that makes a roland kit so quiet?
or just the pad it self? maybe a little of both?
I just dont want to go spend money on somthin tht wont help.
I took the head on my electric drumset off.. and hit it with out any head and its almost just as loud.
Thanks!

m

what is under the head you removed? I'm not accustomed to there being anything there you could actually hit after taking the head off.

I do have an assortment of E-drum pads and equip. In my experience, mesh heads are the quietest route.
My Roland mesh pads are just a frame that houses a trigger assembly, it supports a foam cone that touched the head.
I have used Hart Pro mesh pads that had 'closed shells'- the drum wasn't open, it had a sealed back. I found that style to be louder because the air reverberated a bit against the 'back/bottom head.' Still, it's much quieter than a rubber pad.

There are several threads about the model kit you have at vdrums.com;

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28224

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25291

you might want to do a search there; looks like a couple members are familiar with that particular kit.

cgaffka

under the head is like a layer of things...

thin foam pad
metal (i guess this would be the trigger?)
and another thick piece of foam...

the head on top is just like a normal drum head...
i could snap a few pictures real quick if youd like..

m

if you feel like it, I'd be glad to take a look and see if I think the mesh would make much difference on that style pad.
The main thing is if the pad is 'sealed,' it'll be a little louder, but the mesh has got to be at least a little quieter than a regular head.

what size are the pads? 10"?

I'd recommend asking at the Vdrums.com site too, there are a lot of DIY guys there that are very experienced with taking pads apart and improving them.

cgaffka

The pads are 8" size.

Here is the pictures,
I snapped them in steps of me taking it apart...

The Floor Tom... (All Drums are same)

Rim Off

Head Off

Floor Tom, No head or rim

Side Shot

In Between 2 pieces of foam

Bottom

I really appreciate all the help!
Hope the pictures help a bit!!

m

wow, that's an unusual design-
haven't seen the inside of one of those before. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
I think a mesh pad will definitely reduce your volume a bit (compared to the 'acoustic-style' head) but it will still be louder than a typical Roland-type mesh-head pad because of the closed back design. That's going to be a tricky set to 'soundproof,' I'm afraid.

I'll scout around a bit and see if anyone's had any success with quieting one of those kits.

cgaffka

Lol, not a problem. Thanks again!
I just posted on VDrums.com
Maybe someone over there might know somthing.
Im going to guess your right, it will most likely help atleast some..
and these heads look like they only will cost 5 or 6 bucks a piece if i go with those pearls!

Thanks!

keith bushey

My Roland kit is a tad louder than I like, but still quiet enough not to wake people from sleeping in the next room. Are you playing this kit in a separate room, with a door you can close? If your kit is out in the open within sight of others, forget it. By the time you deaden everything down you'll kill the stick response you need! Rearrange a bedroom if you have to so you can get in a secluded room and close the door.

Schteevie

Hi I don't think mesh heads will make that much difference, and i would wonder if mesh heads would be to soft to put on those pads as they wear out pretty quckly and would probably damage the pads. Anyway at the end of the day if you are playing hard then the cymbal pads and base will are going to be loud anyway.