help my consistancy

jammin4jesus7

ok so im fairly adept to playing double bass as long as it isnt a string of double bass, like this:

HH x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
S ----x--------x-------x--------x
B xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

my snare hit always seem to hit on the bass after it should or in between the two.

i was wondering if there was anything seat position wise, pedal position wise (which reminds me, i have the pearl powershifter and i was wondering if for double bass, is a pedal board lower to the ground or higher to the ground more favorable because i can adjust this baby like no tomorrow.) or is it just pure plain and simple timing practice.

thanks guys
-Fil

drummert2k

hold off on on the double kick until you become much more consistant with single pedal and hi hat work.

anavrinIV

sit high and adjust your pedals until they feel comfortable to you.

also, i disagree with drummert2k. its important to be able to play single pedal fluently and know how to use it if it is your only opotion but i think that if you want to learn double bass that you should work on that early on as well so that your left foot doesnt have to start from nothing when you want to use doubles in a band.

drummert2k

anavrinIV":1oral3zg said:

also, i disagree with drummert2k. its important to be able to play single pedal fluently and know how to use it if it is your only opotion but i think that if you want to learn double bass that you should work on that early on as well so that your left foot doesnt have to start from nothing when you want to use doubles in a band.
not trying to argue, but being totally independant with your high hat will make playing a left pedal with double bass seem like second nature.

i do agree that to really learn something you have to just dive into it. but if theres steps you can take to make your goal more easliy accomplished then you'd be crazy not to do it.

stump

drummert2k":gg8bicds said:
hold off on on the double kick until you become much more consistant with single pedal and hi hat work.
Agreed. Work on becoming proficient with the basics before trying to mix things up. DB is a great addition to your kit but not a necessity. Good luck!

vahnn

i agree completely.

learn single bass very well before you progress to double bass.

i can play a lot of things that people think i'm using double bass for. a lot.

but i'm still having trouble with double bass myself (as far as long, constant double bass is concerneded). but it's also just extra. i can play so a song sounds much better with single bass than i can with double bass. which is fine if you're playing originals, but when playing covers with double bass in them, it might give you problems.

i much prefer single bass to double bass, anyhow.

Kaos

im gonna disagree with most the replies and say practice your double bass always get your left leg working. It took me 3 years to get my left leg anywhere close to my right becouse I was told start with single bass. I say bullshit thats a myth start with double and work on it get a metronome and woek on things slowly at first til you have it , then speed it up. Playing with the metronome will help your double bass and your timming in general. just don't push yourself too hard too fast. Drums take time to learn so enjoy your learning. Learn to develope all your tools not just one at time.

Also heres some set up tips that seem to help a lot of people.
Pedal boards should be set to a hight similar to when you walk.
Beaters no more than 3 to 4 inches from batter head.
sit up strait make your thighs parallel to the floor
to help sitting up strait put a piece of wood under the back two legs
of your seat or use a thorne with a back.

anavrinIV

drummert2k":13x6kvts said:
anavrinIV":13x6kvts said:

not trying to argue, but being totally independant with your high hat will make playing a left pedal with double bass seem like second nature.

i do agree that to really learn something you have to just dive into it. but if theres steps you can take to make your goal more easliy accomplished then you'd be crazy not to do it.
i definately agree that independence is key, i just think that if someone wants to play doubles that they should play both feet as well as independence. i played single for over a year and learned some things on a single pedal that have helped incalcuably in my playing, but my doubles have never really cought up over 2.5 years so i wish that i had worked on them earlier.

vahnn

Empyrean Drums":3cg91jxm said:
Yeah, not practicing double bass will totally make you better; just listen to the guys who don't even play it
Not one of these people said they don't play. I said i prefer playing single bass over double bass, but that's just me.

I learned playing single bass with my right foot for the first couple years, while also learning to keep independent time with my left foot clicking the hi-hats. When it came time to learn double bass, i simply played singles, but with my left foot on the 2nd kick pedal instead of using my right.

So now i can play anything with my left foot that i can with my right. Like i said, my only problem is being able to do it consistently for extended periods of time at quicker speeds.

And this method works for just as many people as the play-double-kick-right-away method. He asked for advice, and we gave him tips for what worked for us.

jammin4jesus7

yea thanks a ton guys
i hear all of you guys on the match up the single and hi hat independence but also like u said, it is pretty much a neccesity for the type of music im going to be playing. at least for one part of an original. i have it down pretty good some times and others its a mess. so i wanna get it tight

but yea i want to get that one part down so im gonna dive into this. i've tried it before but im not too consistant in practicing this seeing as im not playing this pattern too often

once again thanks guys for all the feedback. you guys make this site one of the best drumming forums i've ever been a part of. so thanks </sappy>

-Fil

vahnn

jammin4jesus7":2405pcey said:
once again thanks guys for all the feedback. you guys make this site one of the best drumming forums i've ever been a part of. so thanks </sappy>

-Fil
yeah, i agree man. i really had stopped playing drums for a long time before i found this site! i've started up again though!

but i guess if you absolutely have to start playing the double bass immediately, at least a few times a week (or every time you practice), devote a portion of your time to playing single bass patterns with your left foot isntead of your right. alternate this with periods of working out that double bass chop you need to get down.

and it really really helps to play 16ths (at a comfortable speed) R L R L R L R L R L for a few measures, then stop, then play it again, but lead with the opposite foot, in this case, L R L R L R L R L R. idk, that seems to be a good practice for me.