Help me pick out a set

ilikethrice

Hey guys im new to drumming and i need some help picking out my first set for my first set i have $900-1000 to spend for everything (drums,hardware,cymbals)the kinda music i like to play is rock(in general) classic rock and indie the set i was looking at was the tama superstar 4 piece and since that comes with all the hardware all id have to buy is cymbals and i was looking at the sabian b8 kit and i would need a throne, what do you guys think about this kit? and im open to all suggestions

michiganice91

go with a ludwig..ive heard great things about the low end ludwigs..for cymbals try paiste alphas..or zildjian ZXT's

cant speak for anything but ludwig and zildjian at the moment.

drummert2k

i agree with the ludwig. but step up from the accent and go with the accent cs. nicer finishes option. i perefer natural wood grain over a wrap. and better hardware. they i believe are aound 800 for everything.

ilikethrice

yeah the cs looks pretty cool but that means i only have like 100-200 for cymbals

EDIT:eek:ops sorry i was looking at the cs elite for 800, but the cs does look pretty neat

drummert2k

i think the cs might come with planet z cymbals, which are pretty cheap. maybe you could get the set cheaper if you dont get the cymbals. but honestly, spending an extra 100 bucks to be able to get a decent kit with decent cymbals is better than spending 800 bucks and getting cheap everything and having to get all new stuff in a year anyway because parts break.

or if you could handle poplar shells look into pearl export.

or go to guitar center. you can usually get them to knock some cah off their selling prices.

ilikethrice

so the ludwig kit is $660 and the cymbals i want come out to 230 and a throne is like 30 and it all comes out to $920 how much you think guitar center would kick off?

dtran09

If you want a 4pc, then I'd say go with that Tama you've got your eye on. The Ludwigs are good, but part of that money you're spending goes towards that middle tom. If you can fit the Tama and the Sabians into your budget, that'd be great for you. I have my own Ludwig CS, and I play a Tama at church. Could be the heads and the room, but I prefer the beat up Tamas. ;)

drummert2k

dtran09":1e8hi51x said:
If you want a 4pc, then I'd say go with that Tama you've got your eye on. The Ludwigs are good, but part of that money you're spending goes towards that middle tom. If you can fit the Tama and the Sabians into your budget, that'd be great for you. I have my own Ludwig CS, and I play a Tama at church. Could be the heads and the room, but I prefer the beat up Tamas. ;)
agree!! i was assuimg you were looking for a standard 5 piece so thats my bad. if you want a 4 piece tama would be great or even check out gretsch.

ilikethrice

to tell you the truth though the tama is more expensive than the ludwig by $40 but i will deffinatly give both a try any more reccomendations?

drummert2k

i'd go with making a trip to guitar center before you commit to buying online. see what kind of deals you can get and take a hit at a few drums.

if you tell them that you have 1000 to spend on everything they'll most likely work with you for the sake of the sale. a sale equals commision pay in their pocket and theres a nice little cushion between what they pay for a set and what they sell it for. i've gotten stuff there already for like 30% off what it was in magazines and websites.

ilikethrice

i found a place thats like 30 minutes away from me that can give me the tama 4 piece superstar sk with all the hardware, a sabian b8 cymbal pack and a $50 giftcertificate for future purchases for $908 is that a good deal?

EDIT: or for $957 i can get a grestch catalina club mod kit with the same cymbals, gibraltar hardware pack and a free gibraltar throne

which is the better deal?

ilikethrice

alright these are the 3 choices i have made based on what ive heard

set 1:Ludwig Accent CS Custom Drum Sets, Sabian B8 cymbals, ludwig throne(free)$939

set 2:grestch catalina club mod kit, Sabian B8 cymbals, gibraltar hardware pack, gibraltar throne(free)$957

set 3:tama 4 piece superstar sk, Sabian B8 cymbals, $50 giftcertificate $908

the tama and ludwig both come with all hardware, which would be the best all of them are in my price range i just want the one that sounds the best and isnt really labaled a begginers kit so i can keep it for awhile

and if it matters im buying from www.massmusic.net

dtran09

ilikethrice":161lsfuo said:

set 1:Ludwig Accent CS Custom Drum Sets, Sabian B8 cymbals, ludwig throne(free)$939

set 2:grestch catalina club mod kit, Sabian B8 cymbals, gibraltar hardware pack, gibraltar throne(free)$957

the tama and ludwig both come with all hardware, which would be the best all of them are in my price range i just want the one that sounds the best and isnt really labaled a begginers kit so i can keep it for awhile

Don't worry about what people label it as. Worry about what it really is. I'd say get the tama. Think about it. I know this isn't how it really shakes down with the cymbals in the price but i think you'll get the idea. I don't feel like looking up the real price.

Say each kit costs 700. divide that by the number of drums to get the price per drum (again, definitely not exact, but an average).
WIth the Ludwig it is 700/5 = 140.
Tama - 700/4=175.
You pay the same price total, but you get 125% more quality in the Tama than the ludwig (175/140=1.25). Hope that helped

drummert2k

i can personally give a 100% great reveiw on the udwig kit. i have one myself and even did a small tour with it and it was great.

the gretsch i know got a really good rating in modern drummer a few months back. so thats a good sign.

and the tama, although i havent played that kit persoanly, everything i've heard about it was good. except i think i remember reading in another thread that there were some hardware issuses with this kit. specifically the kick drum spurs.

i'd go with the ludwig just because i like birch shells. but the gretsch definetaly has some cool finishes.

maybe i'd go with the gretsch. i dunno. tough call.

either way, great deals for all the kits.

ilikethrice

dtran09":386ymcuq said:
ilikethrice":386ymcuq said:

Don't worry about what people label it as. Worry about what it really is. I'd say get the tama. Think about it. I know this isn't how it really shakes down with the cymbals in the price but i think you'll get the idea. I don't feel like looking up the real price.

Say each kit costs 700. divide that by the number of drums to get the price per drum (again, definitely not exact, but an average).
WIth the Ludwig it is 700/5 = 140.
Tama - 700/4=175.
You pay the same price total, but you get 125% more quality in the Tama than the ludwig (175/140=1.25). Hope that helped
i never though of it like that i might get the tama but im not sure if thats the one i want though because i figured i can make more money than that so lets put the budget at about $1200 maybe i can get better cymbals and stay with that tama kit......but i need your guys opinion on cymbals so the kit is 699 so that gives me like 500 to spend on cymbals what do i have as my choices?