help me make sense of this stick endorsment!!!

iatemygoat

so ive been emailing the guy who runs Grindstix for the past week or so and i thought everything was going well until our last couple emails. here it is:

Grindstix - What sticks do you play now? (make, size, tip) and what do they normally cost you?

me - currently ive been using Vater Hickory Los Angeles 5A's
16" x .570" with an oval tip.

i usually pay about 21 dollars and some change for a pack of 4.

Grinsticks - Well,

Our 5A is almost that same size, just a quarter inch longer....

But, I can't beat that price.... I'm too new! I would be about 1.00 more, having to deal w/shipping charges...
Sorry bro.. Maybe soon, I can compete

i thought an endorsement deal meant i got free sticks? or at least at a discounted price. so whats the deal here?

also what should i tell him in my reply email? just a simple ok thanks seeya later or should i tell him im still interested in the company and that for now i will pay the extra dollar for the sticks? im really interested in that extra quarter of an inch actually.

m

yikes~
while it's rare for endorsement deals to involve FREE gear, there is at least a heavy discount involved- usually from 50%-75% off retail price. Of course, no one ever pays retail price, it's just an imaginative made-up number to let merchants slap customers around, but still, you end up saving a good chunk through an endorsement compared to what you'd pay in a store.

that makes no sense to me. Where is the 'deal' in that endorsement offer?
Is he saying he'd give you a lot of publicity or something?

I'd keep looking, there are plenty of companies that can match your stick specs and save you money.

have you talked to Silverfox? They're relatively communicative on the subject of endorsements

doesn't sound like an endorsement deal at all.

sounds like the dude just wants to sell you sticks...

... unless he normally charges, like, $12 a pair...

then, i guess, $6 a pair would be a good deal...

SmellsLikeIan

iatemygoat":1gk92nbl said:
so ive been emailing the guy who runs Grindstix for the past week or so and i thought everything was going well until our last couple emails. here it is:

Grindstix - What sticks do you play now? (make, size, tip) and what do they normally cost you?

Grinsticks - Well,

But, I can't beat that price.... I'm too new! I would be about 1.00 more, having to deal w/shipping charges...

i thought an endorsement deal meant i got free sticks? or at least at a discounted price. so whats the deal here?

also what should i tell him in my reply email? just a simple ok thanks seeya later or should i tell him im still interested in the company and that for now i will pay the extra dollar for the sticks? im really interested in that extra quarter of an inch actually.
You aint gonna get free shit till you sell a few million albums, bro. That's just the way it is. Also, I'm pretty sure you would have had more pull with this guy if you had been playing his sticks instead of the Vaters. No one wants to give an endorsement deal to people who are just looking for free gear. Have you ever even actually used their product? In their eyes, if free gear is all you want, you may not be very loyal to them. Also, what does your supplier usually charge for the grindsticks? Are they usually more than the Vaters? That may also be a reason for the price difference.

drummert2k

things like sticks and heads and smaller more inexpensive things are harder to get an endorser for than things like kits and cymbals. a small drum company could endorse you and give you a kit they normally sell for 2200 bucks for maybe 1800, knocking off 400 bucks (which is still a profit considering the cost of materials.) sticks on the other hand, at a music store you expect to pay between 6-10 bucks a pair. not really a whole lot they could knock off that before they're giving them away. atleast he's honest and tells you its a small company and cant afford to beat the price you're paying.

but dont expect to really do well with endorsements until you're playing 3-4 shows a week or the shows you do play are infront of lots and lots of people. the whole purpose of a company giving you a discount is so you put their product infront of hundreds or thousands of faces a night.

Timekeep69

Oh the misconceptions of endorsements.

Grindstix is a newer company. He's probably not doing much volume so his costs are higher which is why he can't beat Guitar Center prices.

Don't ever expect free product except for the occasional t-shirt. Endorsements aren't about getting free stuff, it's about advertising a company's product. You don't necessarily have to be playing in front of thousands of people every night to get an endorsement, nor do you have to be a celebrity unless you want all A level endorsements. I even know some well known drummers who have B and C level endorsements.

In order to get endorsements, you have to bring something to the table. All too often I get people asking for endorsements with Medicine Man Custom Drums but they don't have anything to offer me that sets them apart from every other drummer out there. They just want free drums or a good discount.

disrupt13

Pj is correct, unless your making your own sig stick you get nothing, grindstix is becoming a prominent company for metal guys,

Grindhead jim,
JOHN LONGSTRETH
i could go on, just try em out, help em out, maybe he will help you.

screamkevin

All the above posts are correct. I can't stress enough that you don't get free gear from companies unless you are drumming for a MAJOR act, and have a very strong portfolio. Most companies that you deal with will give you an endorsement deal for that discount on product, or at or below cost.

For example, I just broke one of my Saluda 18" Diamond Medium crash cymbals, and I contacted Jamie Lambert at Saluda. I've been with them for just over a year, and sent several drummers his way, so Jamie offered to replace that cymbal with another of my choice (which will be an 18" Saluda Mist-X Power Crash, made to my specs) at cost plus ten bucks for shipping. I'm looking at well under $100, shipping included, for a crash that would sell normally for $264.99. I can't beat that anywhere.

(Link: http://saludacymbals.com/c/mistx2.php)

I'm hoping to get some Saluda swag, maybe t-shirts, stickers or hats to help promote the product, and I'm constantly talking (to the irritation of some here) about how great the company is. That's what most companies look for, a combination of having the product in front of as many people as possible, and promoting the product all the time.

I'm sure that in time, Grindstix will be able to be a leader in their market, for metal drummers. And think of it this way...if they are interested in you, that gives you the opportunity to help a company grow into a powerhouse! Be positive about it, and it'll come back around! Good luck!

stump

I think that I would stay away from old boy. Smells like crap to me and hell you know what they say...if it smell like crap then it probably is.

crackheadback

stay away from this guy, sounds like he wants to bang you..... Dont pass out drun around him, you may wake up with an asshole the size of a piccolo tom.

Daneman

Timekeep69":2yjonnqa said:
Oh the misconceptions of endorsements.

Don't ever expect free product except for the occasional t-shirt. Endorsements aren't about getting free stuff, it's about advertising a company's product. You don't necessarily have to be playing in front of thousands of people every night to get an endorsement, nor do you have to be a celebrity unless you want all A level endorsements. I even know some well known drummers who have B and C level endorsements.

In order to get endorsements, you have to bring something to the table. All too often I get people asking for endorsements with Medicine Man Custom Drums but they don't have anything to offer me that sets them apart from every other drummer out there. They just want free drums or a good discount.
Spot on as usual. Endorsements are a two way street- you're not going to get heavily discounted goods unless you can prove to the company that you're a valuable marketing asset for them.

The thing you have to realize is that the company's interests are always a much higher priority than the players. Any free or discounted merch is the company's way of thanking you for increasing their brand exposure, and is not mandatory on their part by any means. No one is ever entitled to free goods or services, it is up to the company.

The worst thing you can do is just send an email to a company asking them if you can endorse their product. Most of those emails get deleted right away. You need to sell yourself- make a personal press kit if you can. Even then, in most cases you have to have the exposure- regular gigs, albums, studio sessions, etc.- to make it worth their time.

iatemygoat

CANNIBAL":14xoreui said:
Switch to pro-mark sticks and realize what you have been missing :wink:
ive used them. actually for quite a while but when i found Vaters i fell in love.

BillRayDrums

iatemygoat":21mn3ltu said:

Grinsticks - Well,

First off, congrats on the endorsement deal! Welcome to the world of "we're all in this together".

When you "endorse" a product, you essentially shed light onto said product. You are an employee of sorts. And unless you have more money than Bill Gates, you almost NEVER get free gear. Usually your stuff is at a highly discounted rate.

Let's look at what you are endorsing. "Grindsticks"- never heard of 'em. Of course when I started in the endorsement game, no one had ever heard of Capella sticks (my first stick deal), or Carolina Stick Co (sigh I miss those sticks). Alternately, not many people had heard of Slug Percussion products either. My job in all those instances was to shed light onto the product/company. How do these sticks you are endorsing compare to those that you were using? Are they better quality? I mean, anyone can go to GC and get a bushel of crap sticks for $20 and be stocked for a year.

The upside of your endorsement is this- If the owner of the company runs an ad in the MD, Drum, Rhythm, or any other publication chances are your funky grill could end up in said ad. Also, 10 years from now when the company surpasses all the major players in the drumstick scene, you'll be there at the pinnacle of endorsers and probably at that point I'd think that you will be getting free stuff.

At best, you are helping a small startup company with publicity. At worst, you are paying a few extra dollars for better quality and a place on the "inside". What's cool is that if there's an employee such as an artist relations guy and he leaves, chances are he'll stay within the industry and go work for another drum company. Your relationship with that person can get you into another deal. This business is very small so be careful whom you piss off!!

~B

GrindheadJim

I feel I should step in here. Grindstix, simply put, are the best company out there pushing deat, grind, and black metal drummers. I played Vater for over seven years, and I switched to Grindstix. I'm not getting anything for free, but, I believe in the company, I believe in the product (the sticks are every bit as good if not better than Vater!), and they believe in me.

That's not a line, and that's not an advertisement.