Help me buy a new kit?

~newdrummer~

Hey guys. I've been drumming for three years, I started in my school, as a percussionist in the school band back in middle school. Me and my teacher convinced me parents into buying me a cheap set of drums and cymbals. I'm currently on an Orbitone kit, with Zildjian Planet Z hi-hats and crash/ride, and a Zildjian ZHT Splash. Now, my kit is pretty thrashed and I'm finally starting to realize that new heads, and muffling systems just don't help. My drum teacher has confirmed for me that the kit is a pile of s***.

So, with all that said, I'm looking for a new kit, and in the near future, new cymbals. :D

Price range for drums is up to about $750, I think my parents/grandparents would all pitch in for a combined Christmas present, up to 500, and I can put in some more money. But I've seen some kits, and just decided to hear some opinions. Fire away. :)

Thanks.

michiganice91

mapex Mbirch, or ProM..you can find some good holiday deals. Also A Zildjian A custom cymbal pack would be great for you..and saves you a lot of money.

anavrinIV

imo, there are some good kits in that range...tama superstar, mapex m birch, ddrum dominion, gretsch catalina maple, pdps, etc... and its up to you what you want. my choice would probably be the mapex set, then the superstars, but im partial to birch. what size kit are you looking for? a smaller kit will cost less obviously, so you may be able to go a little higher quality.

i just mentioned drums there, but if youre also looking at cymbals the whole game changes.

~newdrummer~

Hey thanks guys, yeah I'm looking at cymbals, mine aren't the greatest, but the top priority is the drums. I mean, there the bigger purchase. I'll check out those drums sets mentioned, and keep em coming if anyone else has suggestions.

Well I checked around online, and the Mapex kits are over the budget by about 500, so I can't afford those series. The Gretsch Catalinas look good, I found a shell pack for $699, comes with 2 rack, 2 floor toms, and bass and snare. Still looking. Dominion also looks pretty good, only the 4-piece is in my price range. What about the Diablo series? Any thoughts on them?

pow3rtr1p

I love my Sonor Force 1005, which is in your range. I would look at Tama, Pearl, PDP, and Mapex for good sets in that price range.

~newdrummer~

Hahah man, you rock. Story of my life. Looked it up on youtube. I play guitar too, and when I bought my Les Paul I had to look on youtube first. :D

Rob Crisp

If I was you, I'd go for a smaller kit, but higher quality as mentioned above! Most places are small and a 4 piece is all you really need to rock out!

Plus a smaller kit means you have to think more creatively than just running around a wall of toms :)

xdoseonex

michiganice91":1i3q9871 said:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ludwig-Accent-CS-Custom-Elite-Fusion-Plus-5Piece-Satin-Drumset?sku=447708
depending on what your price range is this might be the kit for you. almost all other kits in the price range are basswood(shit wood). but this one is 100% birch. another one you might want to look at as already mentioned is the gretsch catalina club mod. I believe its mahogany. if you wanna go higher in price. the mapex pro m or M birch would be a great choice. but you'd be paying around $1,000 just for a shell pack.

My advice would be to get that ludwig accent kit that michiganice91 linked. or get the gretsch catalina club mod. for cymbals it really depends what your looking for but it seems you also want to stay out of the super high price range. i think your 2 best options would be....

1. Saluda. Saluda cumbals are very cheap. and are just as high in quality as any other cymbal you would buy. but theyre lack of an advertising campaign, no import charges, among other things keeps the price extremely low you can see them at drumgearonine.com

2. Ebay. you can get nice cymbals on ebay just shop around. if your looking for a more traditional sound zildjia A's arent too expensive. If your looking for a brighter sound i'd suggest sabian aax's. if your looking for realy budget prices i hear paiste makes beginner cymbals that sound great, but to be honest you can get saludas for the same price and theyre not beginner cymbals.

xdoseonex

anavrinIV":2usnz7ft said:
imo, there are some good kits in that range...tama superstar, mapex m birch, ddrum dominion, gretsch catalina maple, pdps, etc... and its up to you what you want. my choice would probably be the mapex set, then the superstars, but im partial to birch. what size kit are you looking for? a smaller kit will cost less obviously, so you may be able to go a little higher quality.

i just mentioned drums there, but if youre also looking at cymbals the whole game changes.
fro what i gathered hes gotta get a new kit and new cybals for around $700. Thats not happeneing with those kits. a cretsch catalina club mod or thats birch ludwig accet set coupled with some saluda cymbals (Maybe 2 crashes, a ride and hi hats) are probly his best bet

~newdrummer~

Opinions on Tama Rockstar (Shell Pack)?

Looks good. It's cheap.

I'd buy it. But, I need opinions, mines not the greatest when just looking at something online.

Dom

I'm working at the local venue and I'm always talking to the drum techs of the big acts, they all use very different gear, but all of them said, that pdp, espacially the birch ones, are really kickin ass and very cheap for what they offer, at the moment I'm playin a sonor, but I wanna change to a pdp.....but just go to a shop and hit some sets, no matter how much they are, or what brand they are, so you know why some sets are about 5000 more than others ;)

mikeymidnight

I'm agreeing on the ludwigs. solid kits with solid shells. before my pearl sessions took over i was playing ludwig, and now theyre in cases because i dont want to beat them up! and for crisp, youre right, 4 is usually all you need, but to play any kit well youre gonna want to think creatively. think of how bad it would sound to run around the wall of toms if you didnt know what you were doing...