HELP!! I can't figure out how to play this!!!

Multibomber

About a week ago I was listening to "Bat Country" by Avenged Sevenfold, and there's a really cool fill at the end of the first guitar solo at about 2:48, and I just CANNOT figure it out. At first I thought it was a basic linear fill: (sn= snare; t= high tom; ft= floor tom; k= kick)

sn, t, ft, t, k, k, sn, t, sn, t, k, k, ft, t, k, k, sn, t, sn, t, ft/t

The song is at about 250bpm, and when I played this fill at that speed, it didnt seem "fast enough." Almost like the fill is phrased in groups of 8 instead of groups of 6... but I dont know! Please could someone, who is much better than I, explain how to play this fill correctly so I can sleep beter at night? Where are all you super good drummers out there?? Drummert2k?!?!?! Where are the old guys?!?! Hello?

Here's the link to listen to it: http://www.myspace.com/avengedsevenfold First scroll down and pause the music video, then go up to the player and click on "Bat Country." I will heap huge amounts of praise on whoever can explain this to me.

Thanks guys!

anavrinIV

hes doing what a lot of guys call quads - theyre like the bonham triplets except there are 4 notes instead of 3. it requires a double bass pedal and a little bit of coordination

b-b-t-ft-b-b-t-ft-b-b-s-t-b-b-s-ft-b-b-t-ft-b-b-s-ft-b-b-s-t-b-b-t-ft

i think thats at least close...i know i hear snare hits in there but its too fast to know definately after only hearing it a few times.

WhiteOleander

ooh crazy, I had the same problem 3 months ago :D but yea, i second what anavrin said, sounds somewhat like what I did

Multibomber

Hmmm, I tried doing quads first, and it didnt sound right, maybe I just didnt coordinate them correctly. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

distantbeats

Yeah it's quads. It sounds so fast because he does a lot of rack tom hits with a few snare hits at cool points. The pattern is (starts up the upbeat of the previous bar)

b-b | sn-ft-b-b rt-ft-b-b sn-ft-b-b sn-ft-b-b rt-fl-b-b sn-ft-b-b sn-ft-b-b SN! (lol)

Practice quads until you can do them in your sleep.

sn-fl-b-b

Once that's reasonably fast and even (in tempo AND volume) then move your left arm from snare to rack tom once in a while. It's a neat trick, but it gets really old if done a lot.

-
dB

Multibomber

Ooh, you guys are right! It is quads, pretty fast quads, I might add. I've always started quads with my right hand. I guess you're saying to start them with your left hand... interesting. Thank you guys so much for the help!!

I know what you mean about that getting old fast. A lot of hardcore drummers, thats like their only fill. But they do sound neat when played incredibly fast and precise.