HELP! Acrylic Head advice

i have an Acrylic custom kit. and i love the sound BUT i need a hand picking heads that will give me the sound im lookin for.
i want a head with lots of warms and low end rez. not much atack and no "growling" in the bigger toms like i usualy find.
any help would mean ALOT to me. i have very littl emoney and cant aford to be wrong lol. or it'll be months before i can even think about another set of heads.

Shalaq

I would choose coated heads- maybe G2's or Emperors. They are deader so you won't have much resonance. But I think the lack of warmth on you toms and growling is the drums "fault". Acrylic drums have a very airy, boomy sound. They're not warm. But I think if you'll buy coated heads on both batter and reso it'l warmen up the sound a little bit.

thanks for the post, but im looking for heads with thith lots of warmth and very little attack. lol maybe i just worded it wrong. i have the 2 pl coated on right now and its a bit to dead.

as for the growl in my larger drums, its the skins "fault" lol as far as i can tell. ive own 3 kits and i always get the same thing ...lots of growl in my floor tom. but only when use teh evans g2 for some reason. remos dont do it. and im not sure about other evens types..but i know the g2s do it alot. however i do like the warmth they have and the nice low end...but the growl is a pain and i cant get rid of it. its kinda weird

stevo

not to try to bash you or anything, but since you bought acrylics, your not going to get that sound. thats more of a maple sound. the only thing i can think on is maybe the clear ambassador controlled sound.

nemesss

If I could put in my 2-cents....

Acrylic with their higher fundamental tone and pitch...you need a heavier drum head to control many of the overtones. If you want a drum that is going to sing more with a bit more wamrth...go to a coated 2-ply head. However, if you want more thunder and power....go to a true hydraulic head....the only one is by Evans. The Pinstripe heads by Remo don't have oil in them persey...they have a fluid that keeps the two heads from sticking together but are NOT a true hydraulic head. Evans heads have a viscous oil that you can see when you move the heads around...

Just my 2-cents and I hope you find the sound you are looking for.

Ciao,

Roger

TheAlmost0

i have a custom acrylic snare and i put a G2 on it cause thats all my local music store had but i wanted to try a empX

for sets ide say coated emps ive herd lots of sets live with those heads and they sound really good

Shalaq

Chirs-Ska-Drummer":xfxe3hyp said:
as for the growl in my larger drums, its the skins "fault" lol as far as i can tell. ive own 3 kits and i always get the same thing ...lots of growl in my floor tom. but only when use teh evans g2 for some reason. remos dont do it. and im not sure about other evens types..but i know the g2s do it alot. however i do like the warmth they have and the nice low end...but the growl is a pain and i cant get rid of it. its kinda weird
Well, probably we I just misunderstood you :) I thought that you had the problems which I was talking about, but if it is a problem for you, maybe try to retune them to lessen the sustain, or try to tune them higher? If growl is the only problem but the sound is what you want, you'll have to work on tuning/muffling to get the attack your'e looking for. Maybe moongels or Evans E-rings?

stevo":1d2f7wu5 said:
not to try to bash you or anything, but since you bought acrylics, your not going to get that sound. thats more of a maple sound. the only thing i can think on is maybe the clear ambassador controlled sound.
lol i know what ur saying and i know alot about the sound of acrylic drums. so i knew what i was getting into. but i want warmer heads to balance it out a bit. and get the best sound as possible. and since acrylic has no rez in the shell all the tone and rez come from the head. so thats why im asking so many Q's about it. becuase i know that even with the warmest heads in the world, ill still only get a bit of warmth in the drum sound.. so thats why im asking if people know any heads that are great for low end warm rez... somthing to balance out the punch of acrylic :) but thats for the input tho !!!

Shalaq":3oku8mc0 said:
Chirs-Ska-Drummer":3oku8mc0 said:
Well, probably we I just misunderstood you :) I thought that you had the problems which I was talking about, but if it is a problem for you, maybe try to retune them to lessen the sustain, or try to tune them higher? If growl is the only problem but the sound is what you want, you'll have to work on tuning/muffling to get the attack your'e looking for. Maybe moongels or Evans E-rings?
lol i think this is kinda funny hahaha ok lol lets try agian.
this is what im looking for in my head picks:
1 i want LESS attack
2 i want MORE rez
3 i want MORE warmth
4 i want no Growl

Shalaq

G1's Coated
Ambassador coated
Preferably coated heads on both batter and reso
Tuned a little bit higher(shorten the sustain, reduce the low end growl a bit).

tubbs

All this talk about Evans & Remo, but not one mention about Aquarian. Go to your local store, get the 800 # to Aquarian, talk to the guys in customer service(they are very helpful), and give them a try. I understand your money problem, but if you want to find what you are looking for, you better be ready to spend some $. You aren't going to get the heads you want without trying as many as you can. Think of it this way, you'll broaden your knowledge on the different heads that are out there for your own future drum purchases.

Shalaq

I'm not talking about Aquarian because I'm not into their heads really. But of course you can use a medium weight single ply coated head like G1, Ambassador or Attacks 1ply medium or the Aquarians equivalent. It's just a matter of personal taste.

mikeellis

I tech'd for Thomas Lang earlier this year, he used his sig Sonor clear acrylic kit with clear emperors on the toms, P3s on the BDs and CS dots on the snares.

Sounded fantastic, controlled, focused with enough 'note/sustain' not to be dead.

slingerland66

TheAlmost0 said:
i have a custom acrylic snare and i put a G2 on it cause thats all my local music store had but i wanted to try a empX

i have a vented spaun acrylic 13 by 5.5, DEF go for empX. itll be the wisest decision youve ever made in your life.