heel up or heel down

druming=life

which is the better choice......... i've played heel down for almost 5 years (since i started) and i'm begening to wonder if this limits me because i can't play heel up, i've been playing on a double kick for almost two years and i still can only play 16th notes at about 100, and its no where near as clean as i want it or as powerful, i guess i'm just wondering if this is ok for as long as i've been playing and that speed and power will come in time or if its the way i'm playing and that i should learn new techinques such as heel-toe etc. are there any players out there with great chops that play heel down?

drummert2k

whatever is most comfortable for you. neither way is really "better" heel up with give you more power because you can generate from your legs, and heel down is good for "feathering" or lighter playing. but you can also play soft with heel up and play loud with heel down. its all up to you.

i personally use both.

druming=life

but what about speed and control, would it just take me time to get used to playing heel up then i would be able to play as good that way as i do heel down

drummert2k

i noticed a lot of the really fast double kicking guys play heel down because it exerts less power and gives you more stamina to play longer.

but i think heel up or heel down is one of those things that which ever you use the most will be the one you build your speed and control from.

heel up works the back of your legs, heel down works the front. so switching it up and using both with strengthen your whole leg making your overall bass playing stronger.

druming=life

i didn't know that a lot of players were playing heel down, i thought i was like the lonestar or something, i don't know why i thought that but anyways i'm going to go with useing both, but it will be a while till i get my heel up technique clean and clear i better use some proactive(that was chessy) so thanks for the pep talk/help

m

I feel more comfortable with heel down, I can go faster.
But I think it's good to be able to do both.

Shalaq

I think we've discussed foot technique (as in heel up vs heel down) so much that this topic can be closed.

Conor

i go to shows alot, and i see drummers playing double bass playing heels up and down, and all can play considerably fast. i would have to say that what effects your skills and speed with double bass would be with what you are most comfterbal with (heels up or down), and how much practice/work/effort you put into drumming

MasterShake89

when i do straight 16th or triplets on bass i play heels up. but when im just playing single, heels down is my man. I get a lot of finness and a surprising amount of speed from my right foot.

this jerk saw me playing heels up and said I was playing wrong...me and my buds still laugh about that! Same goes for me, depends on what I'm playing whether my heels are up or down. I've noticed though that when I'm playing straight 16ths, my heels lower slighty but are still off the pedal, kind of a sinergy between being low and not using so much strangth, but still using SOME leg for extra power, but still low for speed....so I've begun adjusting my throne to accomidate that, but yeah, someone said it earlier, I think that's enough info to about cover it...