Heads for bass drum

ultrastu

I am finding my birch absolute bass drum really lacks punch with the coated powerstroke 3 it has on there at the moment should i try different tuning or will a different head help i was thinking aquarian superkick 1 or 2?
What do you think?

drummert2k

i have a birch kick and with the factory reso (ported) and a remo power sonic i get soooo much punch and low end its amazing.

Tamakid1292

Heyy
i have a tama birch kit
and i was gona get the super kick 2
but i got the super kick 1 and if you tune it right it sounds amazing on a birch bass drum
go with the super kick.

ultrastu

Tamakid1292":2wben8ur said:
Heyy
i have a tama birch kit
and i was gona get the super kick 2
but i got the super kick 1 and if you tune it right it sounds amazing on a birch bass drum
go with the super kick.
If i could get wither for the same price wich one do you think woul be better 1 or 2?

stump

I use the super-kick II and it has more than enough punch.You can pick one up for between $35-$50 at musiciansfriend.com depending on what size kick you have. Check it out. Later!

Alcyon

I've got an emad but I've been messing around with tuning for weeks and I can't get a good punch out of it... I think mine's too tight, but if I loosen it I can't play double kick very fast at all. Suggestions?

Adonis2121

screamkevin":1htq2366 said:
I'd slap the Evans EMAD on there. You'll get all the punch you want and then some.
Definitely agree...I used to own a birch custom set and that was my same complaint.

BillRayDrums

What's the config on the front head? Is it vented (hole cut)? Is it muffled in any way?

Here's what I do for mine-

Front head w/ a built-in muffle ring (mylar, not felt) Ported w/ a 5" hole

Back head with a Superkick II, a couple of old t-shirts and a small hand towel inside. The "laundry" serves two purposes- 1-if I have to lay a mic in there it's not rattling against bare wood and 2- if I need a hand towel or dry tshirt, I got 'em. :)

Front head tuned to where the lugs are not loose but as deep as possible. Back head the same. And if something gets a bit loose, well, I tighten it back up but still the kick heads are loose as can be.

See how you get all practical as you get older? I won't even tell you about the extendable magnetic pick up tool that I keep in my stickbag (avail.at auto parts stores) because I'm too fucking lazy to get up and retreive my wingnuts I drop!! Oops looks like I just did tell you..... ;)

ultrastu

hahaha classic. Yeh i bought the drum second hand it has a coated ps3 on the batter and a 5" ported standard yamaha on the resonant. It has one of those dave weckl remo dampening systems inside and i'm not sure if that is what is giving it the shit sound? it is like a big roll of felt around the bottom part of the resonant and batter head. The whole drum just sounds very dull and i find it hard to integrate it with the rest of the kit as an ensemble because it is too quiet.

ultrastu

Alcyon":17h0p878 said:
I've got an emad but I've been messing around with tuning for weeks and I can't get a good punch out of it... I think mine's too tight, but if I loosen it I can't play double kick very fast at all. Suggestions?
personally i have tried emad on my old bass drum and i find adjustability great IF you can adjust it to get a great sound. However when i tried it it was just one woody dull tone after another.

BillRayDrums

ultrastu":2necnm26 said:
It has one of those dave weckl remo dampening systems inside and i'm not sure if that is what is giving it the shit sound? it is like a big roll of felt around the bottom part of the resonant and batter head.
If anything that device will give your drum an ego trip ;)

I'd lose that "device", get back to square one with **just** the heads and I think your kick will come back to what you are looking for.

ultrastu

yeh probably right it seems a bit pointless however it came preinstalled (i have only just realised its there!)

I use to use the remo pinstripe but the aquarian super kick 2 is the best one i have ever used.... its got a very powerful and deep sound.. so if that is what you are looking for in a sound go for it

rto254425

I like the Evans EMAD head. i like that the muffling is on the outside, makes it a lot easier to change your tone a little bit that way. i use the evan resonantor head on the front with the vents in the head. so i don't have to cut a hole. no muffling inside, just the foam rings on the outside of the batter head. i feel i get a big sound but still with some punch.

Cheers,

Ruben in California.

tomeleefan

i have a dw 22" maple with a 5" port off middle center with the new powersonic clear head. it is ok, not birch but they are not all that different, pretty deep, but the other drummer that shares a rehearsal space with us, he has a birch kick with a 22" remo emporer head clear and with a little ghetto homemade muffling(a blanket) and it sounds like the doorbell to hell, I love it, that is the deepest sound I have ever heard on a bass drum.

ultrastu

this is really getting annoying i'm not sure whether the head will cure the problem. I want a pretty fat sound for the style of music i am doing. I have just tried every tuning possible and even with the deepest possible tuning with no muffling there is hardly any resonance i stuck a blanket in there adn you could just hear the hit of the beater on the front head and nothing else? is this just a rubbish bass drum. I know everyone says that maple birch make little difference but i think if i had a maple it would sound much better than the dull lifeless tone i get out of it at the moment.

The real problem is i am gigging more and i really need a good quality sound everything else sounds fantastic and the bass drum is quiet and really lifeless.
To be honest my old stage custom bass drum sounds miles better.

gretsch4life

try the smooth white ps3. it has alot more punch than a standard ps3 and brighter than the coated. remember also that the punch may not neccessarily be in a deeper tuning range so try everything from finger tight to 3 or 4 turns. personally i dont like either the emad or the superkicks. i prefer the ps3's or the evens clear genera. you could even try a ps4. not too many people use them but its just a 2ply version of the ps3.